TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
4/30 - Top 5 Week (Singing & Results)...

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Vocal Talent Shows: American Idol XIII: 4/30 - Top 5 Week (Singing & Results) users admin

AI
American Idol (on FOX)

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through April 30, 2014Naja25 04-30-14  7:29 pm
Archive through May 01, 2014Heckagirl63125 05-01-14  6:58 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 7:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I looked back at their faces when the "no" was read, and I think my Jena voted no. I can't figure out the second "no".

I was looking at Sam's face and it seemed like he felt betrayed and hurt when he heard the nos. (even before he knew he was the one going home)

Jag2000

07-01-2009

Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 9:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jag2000 a private message Print Post    
I thought Sam sounded almost his best ever when he sang his swan song. I think it's a given that Caleb will win and the next few weeks they'll all be gone. There can only be one winner.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 9:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Caleb was heard to mention the word "yes" before they went to commercial. Jessica also looked upset when the first "no" was read. Alex was stoic and then when they were ready to reveal who was going home, he was seeming to look right at Sam.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 9:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
So do we think it was Jena and Alex who voted no? I totally agree with that, Sea.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 11:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
This is from EW:

I talked to the contestants after the show, and all five agreed the right decision was ultimately made by having a regular elimination. Jena was the only one to openly admit that she voted "no," but by process of elimination, it seems Alex also voted against the twist. They were all pretty angry about the stunt actually, with Caleb calling it a "ridiculous show moment" backstage after.

http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/american-idol-2014-top-five-elimination/

I agree with Caleb, it was a stunt and a bit of emotional blackmail, I'm sure they were all "meant" to say yes.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 11:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Thanks for posting that, Kitt. I like being proven correct....LOL

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, May 02, 2014 - 6:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Interesting how they voted. I think they are coming close to jumping the shark with these manipulative stunts.

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Friday, May 02, 2014 - 7:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
While I was sad to see Sam go, I knew he had no chance of winning. He's a good singer, but he's lacking the charisma of a GREAT singer. I'm not surprised Alex voted no (I already knew Jena did by the fact that she turned away when Caleb was rounding them up for the discussion as they cut to commercial), but he needs to realize he'll be one of the next to go as well. I look for Alex to go next, then Jess and the final two will be Caleb and Jena.

Gldnlvr

08-03-2007

Friday, May 02, 2014 - 8:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gldnlvr a private message Print Post    
Sam would be great on Glee :-)

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, May 02, 2014 - 10:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
No he wouldn't. He doesn't have any personality. He would have no storyline on Glee. Put him on one of those faceless/nameless Disney or Nick shows instead!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, May 02, 2014 - 10:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I also thought exactly what apparently they thought, that it was a stunt, and hardly fair to push it back on them.

This is a competition, but for them the idea is to WIN it with their talent, not to play games to get someone else eliminated, no alliances, no teams and no taking someone weaker to final two as in reality shows.

It was a producer cop out, IMO. And a cruel one at that.

Naja, yes, that was what I was coming to last night. You had noticed Caleb saying "yes" and so I watched and listened for that and then it just seemed like Alex didn't react at all when the first no was read.. just stood there sort of doughy-faced but looking right at Sam. That was strange to me.

I think those who voted yes were worried about being in the bottom.. Sam, for good reason and Jessica because judges and Randy had given her lukewarm reviews and she's been there before. Caleb, I think it was just because he felt he should. I hope he wasn't worried about being in last place this week.

I agree, Kitt.. blackmail and the producers and maybe Jennifer wanted an AWWWW moment when they all saved the last place person.

Sam was ALREADY saved by the judges once and has benefitted from that with more time, exposure, experience .. and he's going on tour, but this is ridiculous!

And I agree about Ales, though I fear Jess may go next. Sam and Alex are talented but have all the charisma of.. well.. they just don't. It will come but Jena and Caleb, and I think, Jessica, have it now.. these three have .. sorry, Simon, but the X Factor.

Jimmer, exactly.. Shark jumped. Let's have a TWIST. Just to have a twist.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, May 02, 2014 - 10:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I agree with the writer of the article that had this been pre-planned they would have hyped it like crazy..and that if Jessica had been in last place they wouldn't have pulled this out of the hat. Only for Sam and perhaps for Alex. (Not thinking Jena or Caleb was or would have been last place.

I respect Jena's vote a bit more than Caleb's.. he was angry but caved to what they wanted.

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Friday, May 02, 2014 - 5:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
I did not like that surprise either.......I would have been a "yes" if I thought I was in trouble or a "no" if I were Caleb or Jena...........make's me wander, did Caleb "want" others to vote "yes" to show he is unified as a group & really thought his "no" would be the only one? You gotta wander......nobody has said that Alex was indeed the other "no". I truly think the "no's" were Jena (known) & Caleb.

Dke1212

07-13-2005

Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 8:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dke1212 a private message Print Post    
I agree Texasdeb. Caleb and Jena know they are safe.

Personally, I don't care for Jena.

Lazylu

04-09-2010

Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 11:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lazylu a private message Print Post    
I don't care for Jena either. I have liked Jessica from the beginning, but she will probably go home soon.

Auntiemike

09-17-2001

Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 11:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Auntiemike a private message Print Post    
I, too, like Jessica better. I think she has a better voice. However, Jena has better stage presence. Hoping Jessica gets a good career out of this!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 3:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I think it was Alex.. just his body language and actions said he was a no. And the interviewer who actually talked to all of them said it was pretty clear even though he didn't cop to it.

But all they needed was one no.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 4:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I'm a little surprised that Jena admitted to it. These gimmicks are things I dislike about reality TV. The best performer should win (be it whoever). I hope it doesn't affect her votes for next week.

Of course, The Voice is no better with their unfair (to the West Coast) twitter thing.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 6:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Glad to hear other posters agree about Jena. Auntiemike you are correct. Jess' voice is better but Jens stage prescence is better. Jessica is so wooden.
I think I've noticed that Kraft Services must have a big presence. It seems all of the idols have gained weight.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 6:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Alex and Jena voted no. In an interview, all four remaining contestants said they did not like the twist.

“I think the idea was really dumb,” said Alex Preston. “It’s just double the shittiness,” he said about the prospect of two people going home the following week. He had expected everyone to say no.

“When I have to make decisions on the spot, which I’m not prepared for, I have to do what’s right for me,” Jena declared. “At the end of the day it’s a competition.”

There is more, plus video, at the link: mjsbigblog.com/AI-top-4-reveal-feelings

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 7:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I like Jena a lot.. but I like Jess as well.

I do think Jena and Caleb are the biggest talents, followed closely by Jess, who has improved.

Alex can leave next, IMO.

And that site.. hate when sites try to make you download and you didn't even NEED the download to see the video.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 11:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
This may be the end of the road for Caleb. I think his youthful cockiness got the better of him. I hope he learns from this.

https://music.yahoo.com/blogs/reality-rocks/-american-idol--finalist-caleb-johnson-apologizes-for-slur-084719848.html

'American Idol' Finalist Caleb Johnson Apologizes for Slur

After last Thursday's controversial "American Idol" results show, Alex Preston and Jena Irene might have had reason to worry about a fan backlash. (They cast the two dissenting votes in an "Idol Twist" round that resulted in fellow contestant Sam Woolf getting sent home.) But now it's another top four finalist, Caleb Johnson, who's catching flak, after one of his shocking post-show interviews has gone viral.

Speaking to After Buzz TV last week about his opinion of social media, Caleb expressed some of his lingering resentment over having to perform the fan-requested Aerosmith ballad "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" — a song he admitted he hates, and arguably his weakest performance of the season — by blasting his followers who supposedly regularly spam his Twitter feed with unwelcome song suggestions.

To dis his superfans (i.e., the people most likely to SuperVote for him) was foolish enough. But his politically incorrect wording made the situation much, much worse.

"[Twitter] gives access to a bunch of retards to talk to me," Caleb said, astonishingly. "I don't really enjoy having to see somebody telling me what song I have to sing. I think at this point of the competition, I can pick and choose my own songs and represent me. I don't need 10,000 people saying, 'You should sing this, you should sing that. Listen to me!' Fortunately, guys, I'm going to listen to myself, whether you like it or not."

Obviously, the use of the dreaded "R-word" under any circumstances would have been offensive and unacceptable. But the fact that Caleb seemed to be directing this slur at engaged, well-meaning fans (as opposed to "haters") was simply baffling… and it was possible career suicide, with the finale and a record contract only three weeks away.

While Caleb's aforementioned Aerosmith cover last Wednesday had been underwhelming, he'd easily rebounded with a tour de force rendition of Whitesnake's "Still of the Night" (ironically, also a fan request) that was actually one of the greatest performances of Season 13. (It even garnered kudos from Whitesnake frontman David Coverdale — on Twitter!) But Caleb squandered much of that goodwill with his thoughtless remark. Many fans, possibly former fans, took to — wait for it — Twitter to vent their anger and disappointment over what Caleb had said.

On Saturday afternoon, Caleb addressed this controversy on his Facebook page (but not on Twitter), posting:

"For the record that juvenile comment I made in the interview was not directed towards my fans but to the wackos that send hundreds of hate messages a day to me! You guys are amazing and I cannot thank you enough for your support. Sorry if it offended anybody it was the wrong choice of words. Also I greatly appreciate it when you guys give me song suggestions but it gets really overwhelming at the volume it comes in so please understand ! Rock on !:-)"

Caleb's apology oddly didn't quite vibe with what he'd originally complained about to After Buzz TV (he hadn't mentioned anything about "hate messages," only song requests). Nor did he seem to demonstrate a true understanding of the hurtfulness of his words. Whether his Facebook statement was enough to repair any damage done to his reputation and help him maintain his frontrunner status heading into next week's top four show, we will soon find out.

But if Caleb does stay on the show in the coming weeks, it might be a good idea for him to re-enroll in the media training class that was offered at Randy Jackson's "Idol" workshop.

Kristylovesbb

09-14-2000

Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 11:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kristylovesbb a private message Print Post    
I think Caleb really messed up big time. He's from my state, NC, and I refuse to give him a pass apology or not.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 11:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I think some people aren't aware of how offended people are by the derogatory use of the word "retard". Big mistake. Plus insulting his fans as well as a legendary song doesn't help either. It sounds like it has all gone to his head.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 12:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
clearly a big mistake.

Amazing what DOES get a pass, though, and one comment made at a time when they are all under stress and were put under even more stress by producers.. he's not a serial offender like Beiber and Miley and I could go on and on.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 4:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
One thing that is weird is that AI told people to take to twitter for the week's theme "America's Request".

Does he remember that?

Mak1

08-11-2002

Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 5:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
He has apologized, but it wasn't much of an apology.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 7:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Yes, I know he apologized, but I mean his rant seems like he never took into account that American Idol asked for the audience to tweet suggestions, and several million still watch the show.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 11:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Well I want the best singer to win.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 11:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I think we all want the best to win. I was just baffled by Caleb's rant. I think Caleb was mixed up about why he was getting so many song suggestions and got mad for a reason that wasn't there.

I think Jena is the best, and I hope she wins.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, May 05, 2014 - 6:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Well I want the best singer to win.

That's always a question for me. Can you enjoy and support someone's performance as an actor or singer if they say or do distasteful things outside of performing?

Tom Cruise is an example that comes to mind for me. I like a lot of his movies and I think he's a good actor but his real life behavior is a bit off.

By the way, I do think that Jena is the best performer regardless.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, May 05, 2014 - 10:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
OK, I don't want this to put Alex into a more winning position. I find him dead boring.

I think AI shouldn't be urging any of these people to even BE on social media and personally, I don't know what people are tweeting to any of them but considering social media and what I see posted online at so many sites, I do feel for any of these people at such a stressful time.

I just don't like manipulation and AI has stepped up the manipulation exponentially this year.

I'm frustrated by the increase in voting by social media, meaning people with followers urge them to vote for so and so using twitter, FB, etc and increasingly it becomes a mob of people who probably didn't even watch the show.

The save by east coast twitter on The Voice practically dictates that anyone on the west coast who wants to participate HAS to vote without even hearing the performances.

So if I'm frustrated, imagine how they feel.

And I can only imagine the crap they get via Twitter, and if AI is TELLING them to interact that way, then they cannot do the prudent thing and simply avoid all the "input".

So a frustrated young man who may or may not be my first choice (I like Jena) but is clearly a real performer with talent who uses a word that is clearly distasteful (but I'm betting was something used freely when he was in high school. Doesn't make it tasteful, but it isn't Tom Cruise, whose behavior, if you read about Scientology and his part in it, is downright scary, or Woody Allen, or others I choose to boycott.

Let him learn, yes, but I hope this doesn't bury him.

Sorry.. jumping off my soapbox and I do understand people hating what he said.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: