TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 24, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Vocal Talent Shows: American Idol XI: 5/22 - Finale (Singing and Results): Archive through May 24, 2012 users admin

Cricket

08-05-2002

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 10:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cricket a private message Print Post    
To me, AI has become a joke. Phillip can't carry a tune; he's often flat and doesn't have much of a range.

Do we owe this to the Vote for the Worst Bots? Have they suceeded in helping the worst win?

I just watched towards the end and thought Holly/Jordan sounded great together.

ETA: Oh my gosh, after I posted I came across this.

http://www.votefortheworst.com/

Snip:
WE DID IT! Phillip Phillips #wgwg5 is the Winner of American Idol 11. We did it, Worsters! 132 million votes were cast last night, and in the end, we helped the fifth straight white guy with a guitar win American Idol

Lazylu

04-09-2010

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 10:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lazylu a private message Print Post    
I am happy Phillip won.

Saguaro

06-21-2005

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 10:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Saguaro a private message Print Post    
I've watched every season of Idol except this one. I been to five past finale shows. Only caught enough of Tuesday nights show to see who we're in the finals. I did watch the entire show tonight. I knew the winner last night ... Females are the biggest voters on this show ... There was no doubt Phillip would win.

Egbok

07-13-2000

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 10:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
Leftcoaster who just finished watching AI. Congrats to Phillip Phillips!! Very touching ending.

Loved Aerosmith!!!

Loved Jennifer Holliday and Jessica Sanchez singing "And I'm Telling You I Am Not Going". When they first announced this performance, I thought it would be Jennifer Hudson coming out to sing this song with Jessica, so this was a nice surprise and a treat to hear these two sing this awesome song.

I know there were others who came out to sing/dance but I wasn't impressed, even with JLo. Guess I'm finally becoming my mother...LOL!

Lazylu

04-09-2010

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 10:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lazylu a private message Print Post    
I have watched every season, but I watched very little of this season. One year of JLO was enough. I never vote for screamers, guy or gal. So, I voted for Phillip. I am happy for him and wish him well.

Egbok

07-13-2000

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 10:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
Thanks for your above post Cricket about the Worsters. And thanks to the Worsters for a Phillip Phillips win!!

Lazylu

04-09-2010

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 10:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lazylu a private message Print Post    
I also hope Phillip's surgery goes well and he has a quick recovery.

Alisons

01-10-2003

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 3:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Alisons a private message Print Post    
I had Phillip Phillips picked out from the first time I saw him. I am a little worried about what the music industry machine is going to do to him, though. Of course up till now, he just seems to ignore them, LOL. I love how they told him not to wear grey and he wore grey every week!

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 4:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
Who the heck is Jennifer Halliday, I have never heard of her.

Jennifer Halliday is a Broadway legend and originated the role of Effie on Broadway in Dreamgirls...the role that made Jennifer Hudson famous.

She is also a fabulous gospel singer. What stood out to me last night, in her pairing with Jessica, is the difference between the emotions of a real professional singer and how unemotional Jessica is. I never could connect to Jessica at all.

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 5:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
I have liked P2 since the very beginning and have never liked Jessica, granted she has the voice of an angel but there is just something about her that doesn't appeal to me maybe that will change as she gets older. I love love love P2's song for his single, I believed him when he said "he would make this my home" lol.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 6:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Do you know how many contestants that VFTW have promoted unsuccessfully? Just because they finally picked someone who won doesn't mean that they had any significant impact in his winning.

As far as having a "big voice" how many singers getting big hits and radio play today would fall into that category? It's not all about the voice.

Hermione69

07-23-2002

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 6:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hermione69 a private message Print Post    
Most of the big voice singers hurt my brain. I can't listen to Celine or Mariah, for example. I do like Whitney, though.

Panda

07-15-2005

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 7:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Panda a private message Print Post    
I thought Hollie and Jordan sounded and looked beautiful.

Skylar and Reba sounded great together but wow, Reba looked YOUNGER than Skylar? How's that? LOL

Loved Aerosmith.

I thought Jessica sang the Whitney Houston song flawless but I just am not a fan of the scream sing - Jennifer Holliday and her had the weirdest faces, I couldn't get past that.

I am glad Philip won but I admit I am totally shocked. I thought ever since Jessica was saved by the judges that she would win and they could gloat.

Didn't like Rhianna's song much.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 7:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I think VFTW is on crack or something. I'm guessing if you went and looked at the voting patterns throughout the whole season (of course AI will never let us do that) Phillip probably has never even been close to the bottom. He had that fatal combination of aw shucks humility, better than good talent and a beautiful smile that gets voters.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 7:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
I've never been a Joshua fan (but I will give him props for his James Brown song a few weeks ago). I can't take his screeching and his facial expressions. He always looks like he has some gastrointestinal thingy going on when he sings. And couple him with Fantasia who is my least favorite Idol EVER and I was ready to turn the show off after their number.

However, I'm glad I didn't because I absolutely loved Skylar and Reba's performance. That was a no-brainer that Reba would sing on the show. Aerosmith is still my favorite R&R band EVER so it made my night.

I really do hope they replace JLo next year and bring back Paula.

Panda

07-15-2005

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 7:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Panda a private message Print Post    
I never had that Fantasia love either and thought she sounded terrible. I do think Joshua can sing good but then it's like we know the screaming is going to start soon....not every song has to be sung like that!

Nyheat

08-09-2006

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 7:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nyheat a private message Print Post    
VFTW is just for laughs. They picked Phillip for fun, knowing he would probably win anyway. That's why they called him #wgwg5--it's just too predictable. Besides there are only a few hundred hardcore worsters. They could maybe save someone in the much earlier rounds, but at Top 2, they barely make a dent.

Auntiemike

09-17-2001

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 8:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Auntiemike a private message Print Post    
There were very few good songs/presentations last night...at least ones that sounded good and didn't hurt the ear drums! I loved Hollie and Jordan; very classy and melodic. I loved the phonebook song; cute and well done! I'm not a rocker, per se (even though I'm the right age!) but at least Aerosmith showed everyone what it should be like. JLo is slutty and ridiculous. Jessica and that big, loud singer were awful! As was Chaka Khan, Joshua and Fantasia. What's with the body suits on women who have too much to share? Even Skylar's outfit emphasized all her heavy hip area; I've seen her look better. I love Reba so anything with her would be good. Colton shined in all the group numbers. And Phillip ... he was great with his duo pairing.

I am happy with the results! I have nothing to do with Vote for the Worst but this is the first time ever I put in all my internet votes for a singer. I think it was my vote that put him over the top!

Lazylu

04-09-2010

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 8:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lazylu a private message Print Post    
Auntiemike, I agree with everything you said!

Denecee

09-05-2002

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 8:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
I wanted Phillip to win from the beginning and his is the type of music I love!!!

Not only can he carry a tune, but he can feel the music and uses that to relay the songs.

LOve him!!!!will buy anything he puts out!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 8:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I didn't think much about Phillip's performances at first (I didn't dislike them - it was more indifference) but he grew on me over the course of the season. I started to realize (argh - unlike Randy) that for me it isn't always about who can have a big screeching "moment" or hit a super high note but more about who appreciates the music and adds their own touch and style to what they are singing. He isn't a big flashy singer but out of all the people who performed last night, Phillip was the one that I enjoyed the most. And I guess that is what it is all about.

Auntiemike

09-17-2001

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 9:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Auntiemike a private message Print Post    
i totally agree with you Jimmer. I love his style and love for what he does. It comes through loud and clear and makes me smile!

If they eliminated all the screaming, lights, sexy dancing, choreography and just presented a song then we would quickly see who has talent and who doesn't. IMHO

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 9:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Seemed like Josh dissed Fantasia. I think Fantasia has become somewhat of a joke. In their duet he got no where near her and toward the end of their song she called out to him with out stretched arms and he started walking towards her but took a hard left and shook hands with the judges.
Also I thought Hollie sang better than Jordan-thats how hard the judges were on her.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 9:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Thanks Auntiemike. As far as his future success goes, I think it all comes down to finding/creating the right songs. If he can do that then he can be big. If not, it will be a quick trip into obscurity.

The other concern I have for him is his health. Being successful takes hard work and I'm not sure if he is capable of that at this point. I admire Idol contestants like Kellie Pickler. Not the greatest voice or the greatest success on the show but she has worked hard and has managed to parlay what she has got into a successful career. Pretty darn impressive.

I'm cheering for him though!

Hummingbird

08-21-2002

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 10:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hummingbird a private message Print Post    
Love Phillip! Will buy his CD. As for Jennifer - beautiful voice but she doesn't know who she is yet. She copies Whitney, Mariah, whoever she's covering. It was so obvious last night when she was trying to keep up with that screaming banshee Jennifer Holliday. The woman may be a Broadway ledgend but she's hard to watch. That over-the-top style goes over on Broadway, I guess, but I don't care for it. She is downright scary!