TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 23, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Vocal Talent Shows: American Idol XI: 5/22 - Finale (Singing and Results): Archive through May 23, 2012 users admin

Maris

03-27-2002

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 - 7:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
Phillips last song won the night as far as I am concerned. Agreed with Randy, very Mumford and Sons. All in all I think Phillip should win it.

Smokey

07-08-2003

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 - 7:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Smokey a private message Print Post    
I loved Phillip's last song. Beautiful and perfect for him. I agree about the resemblance to Mumford and Sons.

Auntiemike

09-17-2001

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 - 8:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Auntiemike a private message Print Post    
West Coaster here, just beginning to watch. I have finally figured out Jessica. While technically perfect she does not FEEL her songs. 'Nough said.

Auntiemike

09-17-2001

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 - 8:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Auntiemike a private message Print Post    
Let's not forget that Jessica is only there by the grace of a judges' save. I don't believe Phillip has ever been in the bottom. I hope that says something about how this will play out tomorrow night!

Kitt

09-06-2000

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 - 8:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Did anyone on the West Coast (or anywhere I suppose) get a horrible metallic sound over everything? Good sound all season and now horrible for the finale.

Jessica's first song - technically good but no feeling
Phillip's first song - I am still fond of him and his voice, but I still think he messes with my favourite songs too much. Couldn't he have picked up the pace just a little!?

Lazylu

04-09-2010

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 - 8:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lazylu a private message Print Post    
This is only the 3rd time I have watched this year and the first time voting this year.
Phillip feels the music. Jessica doesn't.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 - 8:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I hate when singers take a one syllable word and make it a 10 syllable word.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 - 8:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I liked Phillip on round 2, and I liked Jessica more than her first one, but not as much as Phillip.

I almost wonder if the "first single" song is a little bit of sabotage on Jessica, as she's nowhere near as strong on more delicate sounding songs. Phillip's "first single" was much more suited to him, and I liked it a lot.

I vote for a Phillip win, but I'm not at all wowed by the finale.

Lazylu

04-09-2010

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 - 8:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lazylu a private message Print Post    
Phillip's last song, I would buy!

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 3:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
i think phillip is a true talent. jessica has a great voice but so robotic and almost 'formula'. i think she sounds almost the same in every song.

philip has a talent for slightly changing a melody or rhythm to a song. It usually works well but YES he is peaking.

that bob seger song from last week is one of my favs and He did a GREAT job.

Terolyn

05-06-2004

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 5:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Terolyn a private message Print Post    
What will they do if Phillip wins? He has to have "immediate" surgery and I read recovery will take months.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 6:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
I have a question. Do the finalists write the single that will be released if they win? They kept ragging on Jessica that they didn't like her third song - that it is not something they would expect her to release because it wasn't her style. I thought someone else wrote these songs.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 6:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
It used to be someone else wrote the songs. Dunno if it still is. Dunno if the singers even have any input, really.

Bama_karen

12-01-2010

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 7:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bama_karen a private message Print Post    
As soon as Phillip started the third song and told my daughter he sounded a little like Mumford and Sons. Too funny that Randy said it to. I don't think Jessica did well at all last night. Her second song was the best but still didn't like it. I kept comparing it to Chris from the Voice and he was amazing singing it. Jessica so should have stuck with songs she could just belt out. Soft ballads are not her strong suit.

Auntiemike

09-17-2001

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 7:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Auntiemike a private message Print Post    
There was no variety to Jessica last night. All her songs were soft ballads. Perhaps this is a true indication of her.....blah personality.

I love the way Phillip makes each song into his own; he has a very distinctive sound and style...either you like it or you don't, I guess. What I love about him the most is his passion for what he is doing. He truly feels his songs and music and has fun doing it too.

All my votes yesterday went to P2. Hope they put him over the top!!!

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 7:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Somebody else writes the songs.

Apparently Jessica has already lost another reality singing competition...she has a beautiful voice but she's like a tiny little singing robot...she has no passion in her singing. Unfortunate, because she undoubtedly is very gifted, but she needs to become a real person and not a little doll that her parents wind up and send out on stage.

It would probably also help her if she ever sang something that was remotely contemporary...don't get me wrong - love Whitney and Mariah and think Jessica sings them well - but they are not going to inspire teenage girls to vote for her. They just can't relate.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 8:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
What I noticed last night is that Ryan Seacrest is not very tall... Jessica, without heels, came to his shoulder. She's pretty small.

I think Philip will win and have thought so since Colton was voted out.

Auntiemike

09-17-2001

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 8:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Auntiemike a private message Print Post    
"...she has a beautiful voice but she's like a tiny little singing robot"

BINGO! Couldn't have said it better myself. No passion, no life experience to back up her songs. She still needs some work. I'm afraid she is in for a BIG letdown tonight.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 8:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I don't dislike Jessica but I think that Phillip clearly won the night. It wasn't even close. Jessica has enormous potential but she just wasn't ready this year.

As far as his career goes or even his time as an Idol winner goes (if he wins) that is more problematic, given his health issues. I feel bad for him and think he has done amazingly well considering.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 8:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I don't dislike Jessica either. I kind of feel sorry for her. I don't think she has a strong grasp of how to make it in the world and deal with disappointment. I know she's very young, but I feel like she needs lots more real life experience in all things, and her mother should quit schlepping her around to auditions and instead just simply let her be a teenager, with all that entails. I get the feeling that she was put on a career path early. I am constantly surrounded by teenage girls close to Jessica's age and none of them would willingly choose to listen to (much less sing) this kind of music...they are all into much more contemporary stuff. I hear a lot more Katy Perry and Kesha at my house than I do Whitney Houston (unless of course I pull out MY CDs...LOL!).

I just don't feel like Jessica is having fun. Phillip - you can tell that he is singing exactly like he would sing no matter where he is at - before a crowd of 20 or 20,000. That's why he has such a huge following.

I too would have preferred it be Colton, but that just wasn't to be.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 8:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
The following is a fun article that discusses trends and predicts the winner.

Idol Superstitions – Accurate Predictors, Crazy or Just Plain Fun? – Season 11
By Kirsten On 05/21/2012

Much like those who follow horse racing, Idol watchers are forever trying find that magic formula to predict who will be the next big winner. While you can gamble on Idol (truly a foolish enterprise – save your money for the tour!), most are content to post their predictions on blogs and twitter. Sure, there are obviously some lame competitors who were lucky just to get into the starting gate and were never going to challenge at the wire. But, there are always lots of contenders and positions can switch during the final stretch. Front runners often fade. Who will win this year between our two front runners? Let us turn to the Idol community of blogs and message boards for their infinite wisdom. Let us examine the superstitions whose origins have been lost in the mists of time as they are traded from board to board (each claiming to have originated them). Let us see if there is a magic formula to see who will be wearing the blanket of roses on Wednesday.

To start it off, the spookiest Idol superstition of all…that will not die.

.... more at the link

http://www.mjsbigblog.com/idol-superstitions-accurate-predictors-crazy-or-just-plain-fun-season-11.htm

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 9:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Roxip, that really pisses me off. They blasted Jessica for the third song saying it wasn't her style, but she didn't write it!!!! Honestly, I don't care who wins since my two girls (Hollie and Skylar) were voted out. But it just ticks me off. They have done this in the past when the finalists sing their "first single" and it is not a song that they wrote.

Trini

07-06-2004

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 9:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Trini a private message Print Post    
Good luck P2!
Your third song nailed it.

Gldnlvr

08-03-2007

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 9:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gldnlvr a private message Print Post    
If Phillip is as sick now as they say he is, I can't wait to see him perform after he fully recovers! Phillip Phillips for the win all the way!!!

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 12:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
I'm with Roxip & Lexie. This seems to happen every year. They're forced to sing a song that was written as the first single for the winner yet they have no input into the song. Then every year the judges rip them saying they didn't like the song. It's not the singer's fault they have to sing a bad song. Why don't they run the song past the judges first.