TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 10, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Vocal Talent Shows: American Idol XI: 3/07 - Top 13 Week (Singing and Results): Archive through March 10, 2012 users admin

Auntiemike

09-17-2001

Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 12:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Auntiemike a private message Print Post    
I think the "judging" is very inconsistent and I haven't figured out, yet, what they want. I didn't think Shannon was that bad either and I thought Deandre was awful. The judges thought just the opposite. what did I miss?

Lazylu

04-09-2010

Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 12:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lazylu a private message Print Post    
Mamie316, I agree about Phillip. He makes me smile and he so feels the music.

While, I was impressed with Jessica, I really don't think she felt the music, but I am still impressed with her voice. She needs to be Jessica, not Whitney though. I hope she can make people think "Jessica" not "Whitney" whenever she sings now. Does that make sense?

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 2:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Auntiemike, I've noticed that about Hollie, too. Either a speech impediment or an accent of some kind. I noticed she said "heart" sort of with a New England accent ("hot"). Haven't heard her speak much, but there's definitely something there.

As much as I wanted Shannon to be good, she just wasn't. She didn't hit her big notes and was off-key and screechy at times. Very disappointed for her! Think she must have been nervous.

Gidget

07-28-2002

Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 3:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gidget a private message Print Post    
Elise reminded me of Amy Winehouse. I want to see more of Elise, I hope she lasts. I forget the name of the other Jersey person, the huge guy. I haven't really been feeling him but I do love his voice. Look foward to hearing him do some other things before making my decision about him.

I did not like Jessica's song. I must be the only one who heard the slight off pitch when she started to belt it. I would have liked to hear some of the other girls give the song a go.

I never really found it that hard to sing and wonder why everyone says so. Whitney's version of the song was special because she was hitting her stride about that time and was one of the strongest singers to ever make it to the big time. But it is not hard to sing. It is a perfect diva song.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 4:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
TMZ are saying Phillip Phillips has been hospitalised with pain in his abdomen.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/03/08/american-idol-phillip-phillips-hospital-doctor-gallstone-contestant/#.T1k6BvWEnVY

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 4:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I hope Phillip is okay, and also that he can continue on the show. He's fairly unique. I like how he makes songs his own.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 4:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I hope he stays. He's the reason I'm watching this season.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 5:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Gidget, are you kidding? That song may not be hard to sing, but it's very hard to sing and have it sound good. It's a power song. Most people don't have the voice to carry it. I've heard a lot of girls (on this show) try to sing that song without much success. You've gotta have the pipes to back it up.

Auntiemike

09-17-2001

Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 8:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Auntiemike a private message Print Post    
Are the results on tonight? If so, will anyone spoil?

Gidget

07-28-2002

Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 8:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gidget a private message Print Post    
I suppose I am basing this on my own experience and at one time I had that power so I guess that is why I see it that way. I don't even give the nasaly little girl voiced crop of so called singers today a second listen.

Technically the song is not a stretch and I in no way mean that as disrespect to Whitney Houston who could make ANY song sound great when she was in her prime.

And for what it is worth, power and big notes get all the applause but soft singing takes a lot more control then belting one out.

Jag2000

07-01-2009

Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 8:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jag2000 a private message Print Post    
Just went to Jokers...Elise and Jeremy were lowest vote getters. Jeremy was eliminated. Jeremy was JLo's second chance pick.

Jag2000

07-01-2009

Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 8:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jag2000 a private message Print Post    
If people didn't vote for Jeremy when there were 24, why would they vote for him now. My guy at Fox in So.Fl. predicted Jeremy and Elise. He was right on last year.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 8:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I understand what Gidget is saying about that song. You obviously have to be a talented singer to sing it but it is the kind of song that sounds harder than it really is to sing. I'm not taking anything away from Jessica saying that - she has a great voice and she is one of the best contestants in a few seasons. I also like Hollie a lot.

The results tonight were very predictable. There are some people you just know can't win and unfortunately Jeremy fell into that category.

Missyb

07-28-2004

Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 9:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Missyb a private message Print Post    
Just curious, for those of you with voice training, what did you all think of Karen Carpenters voice? One of my very favorite singers. Talk about a pure tone.

Gidget

07-28-2002

Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 10:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gidget a private message Print Post    
Karen's voice was not of this world.

Now if you want to talk about a tough singer to emulate, try to copy Karen. Tape yourself doing it. Not that easy.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 10:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I thought Karen Carpenter had an almost perfect voice...her tone was beautiful and her delivery was effortless...and she always had the most beautiful smile on her face.

It is true that it isn't as hard to belt a song, but to belt it with control like Whitney did - making the transition from low and soft to loud and yet still in key and with a great tone - that is not easily carried off by many people (I'm a natural belter too...or was before old age and allergies).

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Friday, March 09, 2012 - 7:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
As I said upthread,Hollie was born in England and moved to Texas when she was 10. Again,how much does it cost to vote? I voted at least 3 times for Shannon and I will die and think myself a fool if it costs $5 a pop or something.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, March 09, 2012 - 7:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It's free by phone. One dollar a text I think?

I liked Karen Carpenter a lot though there was some talk about how they enhanced her voice on recordings. I was so sad about what happened to her.

Nyheat

08-09-2006

Friday, March 09, 2012 - 7:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nyheat a private message Print Post    
It's free on Facebook and pretty fast as well to refresh the page and vote several times.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, March 09, 2012 - 9:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Ah, Karen Carpenter! To this day the Carpenters Christmas album is my favorite. Absolutely voice of an angel. I will still stop and sing along if I hear one of her songs. Plus they were very popular when I was in high school, so their music takes me back to a happy time. Her brother was a very talented musician too. I think his heart just wasn't in it after she died. Love Karen!

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Friday, March 09, 2012 - 12:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Oh good,thanks.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Friday, March 09, 2012 - 1:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Love, love, love the Carpenters music. Karen's voice was absolutely angelic.

Skydiver6

07-21-2006

Friday, March 09, 2012 - 7:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Skydiver6 a private message Print Post    
I think the "judging" is very inconsistent and I haven't figured out, yet, what they want. I didn't think Shannon was that bad either and I thought Deandre was awful. The judges thought just the opposite. what did I miss?

I thought the exact same thing Auntie Mike. I'm so glad Shannon got to stay. I have no idea what they see in Deandre.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, March 10, 2012 - 6:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Altho it was the first time in history Ive ever voted on AI (for Shannon),I think shes a bit too beauty queen-ish. Her voice is lovely,she is lovely, but I keep thinking Im watching the talent portion of a beauty contest when she sings. The are keeping Deandre for the teeny boppers.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Saturday, March 10, 2012 - 8:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I so agree about Shannon - she looks like a contestant for a beauty contest instead of a pop star.

I don't mind Deandre that much and I think he is a cute guy (although that ponytail was stupid) but I can't stand the way he talks. His speaking voice doesn't match his exterior and it bugs me. Not sure why but it does. I realize that's no reason to dislike him but it is offputting to me.