TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 06, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Bachelor / Bachelorette: Other Recent Bachelors/Bachelorettes: Bachelor Ben - General Discussions: ARCHIVES: Archive through March 06, 2012 users admin

Costacat

07-15-2000

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 9:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
I haven't finished watching yet (Courtney hasn't come on), but from what I've seen so far about how Chris is talking about her, this is nothing more than a white wash. I expect Courtney will end up with the final rose, and because of that (and the lackluster season overall), the producers needed to do some serious damage control. I don't know how many fans this show usually has (I suspect quite a few vanished during this season), but I'm pretty sure the producers freaked out once they realized how Courtney was perceived (and remember, too, that they can't edit in her words... she did say what she said and she did do what she did).

I also suspect (confirmed by Escapee above) that they cut a LOT of stuff out of this show. There just wasn't that much discussed about the skinny dipping or the braless native attire (I didn't see that episode so am unsure of anything other than whenever that segment is shown, there is also a black bar over Courtney's boobs, which leads me to believe they were hangin' out). There was far too much not discussed, or not discussed much. (Partially, I think, because they spent a good 10 minutes promoting the stoopid Bachelor Pad show in the beginning.)

From what I've seen so far, without seeing Courtney's crying sans tears, this is just damage control by the producers.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 9:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Jaclyn needed to shut it. I got so irritated. They also turned the mic's off a lot on a lot of the girls because it was a scream/talk over eachother fest. They were laughing about how that came off.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 9:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
they can't edit in her words... she did say what she said and she did do what she did

Very true. However, they could have easily not shown many of her nasty comments in the first place. They obviously wanted to create controversy and hopefully ratings by showing the comments. It appears they may have initially misjudged their audience's desire to have a "happy ending".

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 11:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I think there is a difference between "need to vent" and need to hold a public stoning, but I'm quite sure that the producers wanted exactly that and kept them from making many statements ahead of time so that the viewers could tune in for the browbeating. Sort of good ol vigilante justice.

I just personally didn't get much enjoyment out of it. Again, I think usually the women have at each other in a bit more even handed way.. here the one voice saying that Courtney wasn't the only one to "sin" in terms of being there in a competitive mode or in saying things or namecalling, was basically shouted down. Of cours! If you can turn the spotlight on one "sinner" then you get less hotseat time. Oh and more time taken beating up a bit on Shawntel, who was only on the season a night. But again, takes the spotlight off the others.

Even Ben got MUCH less flak than most of the Bachelors do on this episode and what he did take was the usual where several of the women simply couldn't take no for an answer without demanding more explanation, even though the went on the show knowing that 90% of them were going to be eliminated at this point in the show.

Only one woman, the one who left the show voluntarily, could just say she wasn't attracted to him (and thankfully, he didn't berate her wanting to know why).

As for Courtney bringing out the best or worst.. no.. just as she said what she said, they have to be responsible for saying what they are saying.. with undoubted encouragement of the producers.. this hate Courtney thing has been well promoted over the entire season.

And didn't they hate seeing Ben and Courtney obviously enjoying each other and having simple fun.. she didn't get the most glamorous dates but did seem fine with the cow pastures, holding a dog on her lap and so on. If that is 100% fake, then she has some talent. Sure the waiting on the stairs was awkward but that has been done before on the show and more awkward were some of the other women at times.. like the one who tried to jump on him in a too short for that dress, or I remember the women on the fishing date, whining about not catching a fish, while holding a fishing rod limply in one hand (LOL.. I cannot make that not sound dirty), while holding a glass of wine in the other, and all pissy because Courtney just fished and caught a fish.

Escapee, that's cool that you got in on the texting. They did show the tampon thing briefly on the show.

And yes, what a waste to so heavily promote Bachelor Pad.. certainly they had more than enough "fresh material" on THIS show.

And it probably is frustrating if someone went to this taping hoping to get stuff out about various hurts or gripes, only to have it cut out due to promotion of BP, Shawntel's time, having Courtney there, which meant SHE got to speak, taking more time, so that left less time for all other issues or confrontations of Ben.

Jimmer, I fear that they get better ratings for emphasizing the dysfunctions on this show now.. like the one woman being basically hounded off the show based on info from a possibly bitter ex and literally sent off without her shoes (which Chris claims really did happen in one of his blogs). Heck they didn't even get to revisit that in gory detail other than for Ben to say maybe he over-reacted. Ya think?

Escapee

06-15-2004

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 11:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I sent Mon a text telling her how much we all loved her class and tact. I really hope big things happen for her in the future. I can see her having her own show or hosting something. Wouldn't that be cool? eh, I'm bias I know!

Costacat

07-15-2000

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 12:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
I just started to watch the Courtney segment and I think SHE would have been much more believable had she come out and apologized right off the bat. She said she felt bad but she never said she was sorry to the girls. At least not yet.

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 2:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
Chris Harrison's Blog http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/03/06/chris-harrison-the-bachelor-the-women-tell-all-blog/

As we get to the end of this season, I mostly wonder what were the producers and editors thinking by emphasizing Courtney's mean behavior? It's one thing to stir things up and create controversy, but surely they saw that Ben had fallen for her as she stepped out of the limo on the first night. Some of us did. So now they've created the most unsatisfying conclusion we could possibly get by showing her flaws ad nauseum. I wish their boss was Donald Trump. lol

Reenie

06-24-2006

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 2:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Tresbien: you are so right! This is going to be such an unsatisfying conclusion. Just as bad as Jake/Vienna. I keep saying I will not watch anymore, but I keep finding myself watching.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 2:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Did they film the "after the rose" show on the same weekend as the "women tell all" show? Are there spoilers out about it? normally I don't like or read spoilers, but I think this season was spoiled early on. US magazine is certainly not even trying to keep us in suspense. I'd be gobsmacked if he picked anyone but Courtney.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 3:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Brenda, I don't think they will film ATFR until this weekend.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 3:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That's exactly what I've been saying. I agree that no one forced the words out of Courtney's mouth. However, their attempt to generate ratings by focusing more on Courtney's miserable comments and less on her more fun accommodating side (e.g. in the cow pasture) has created a very unsatisfying conclusion if Ben ends up picking her. I'm convinced that they could have portrayed Courtney in a more balanced way with different editing.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 3:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I think her interaction with the other girls kind of forced their hand in showing what was going on. But they certainly could have showed us more of the charming side of Courtney, especially since she's there the whole season and they should want us to feel okay with Ben picking her.

Bonbonlover

07-13-2000

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 3:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bonbonlover a private message Print Post    
I think they did try to portray a balanced Courtney. We saw a sweet fun cute bouncy girl when she was with Ben... then when she was with the girls or doing her individual talks to the camera we saw the other side. The girls at the WTA stressed that she had 2 sides to her. She was nice to a couple of girls and got along well with Ben... But her other side was just nasty. I don't think they should have left that stuff out and only showed the getting along side so we would have our happy ending. Ben chose who he chose.. they couldn't make Courtney into something she wasn't simply to give us a happy ending.

The ATFR will be interesting.

ETA: I agree with Brenda.. her interactions with the other girls forced them to show that side. She became the focus of every conversation... they would have no material if they left the Courtney/Other women stuff out.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 3:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It's hard to say. I'm pretty sure that some of the other women made their share of nasty comments but production chose to focus on Courtney.

Honestly, I think that the producers of these shows have a rather low opinion of the viewer so they try to dumb down and simplify the storyline. It's much simpler to make it Courtney vs. the other women than to show a more balanced picture of Courtney and the other women. I've been saying all along that if we take Courtney out of the picture, this would be the nicest group of women to ever be on The Bachelor. Now I'm starting to wonder what we would have seen if Courtney wasn't on the show. I suspect they would have found plenty of other negatives to focus on as well. As an obvious example, look at how they treated Shawntel.

So while I agree that Courtney made her own bed through her words and actions, the producers certainly helped that along. And now the show and Courtney are dealing with it.

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 4:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Monica & Jenna in holy tamponmony

Escapee

06-15-2004

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 5:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Monica was quite put off by the whole tampon sharing idea...however her and Jenna are friends now...I have the pics to prove it!

Costacat

07-15-2000

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 5:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
OK I finally managed to make it through to the end... No, I'm sorry. Courtney was there to improve Courtney's image. Period. I also think it was damage control for herself, especially since her "private" life has become public. I don't believe her apologies were heartfelt, nor do I really believe anything else she said. (Your mileage may vary.)

And then there's Ben. Again, there was a bit of disingenuous activity going on there. He wasn't being totally honest either. Not with himself and not with the audience.

Personally, I feel really sorry for myself. I've not watched this show since the pretty much the first Bachelorette (Tristan?) and THIS is the season I turn in to? Bleah.

Those women are thankful they got out when they did. Well, all except Nikki anyways!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 5:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Which women are thankful? Many of them appear to still be in love with the guy.

Costacat

07-15-2000

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 6:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
I heard an awful lot of past tenses. I did not get the impression that anyone was still in love with Ben, except for Nikki. I sort of got the impression that they changed their minds after watching the season and seeing things they hadn't before (such as the skinny dipping). It seems that they saw a lack of respect, finally, and, to me, anyways, some of them seemed pretty relieved.

Escapee? Do you know for sure? Are the girls all ga-ga over Ben still?

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 6:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
It seemed like Kacie B and Emily were over him. Nicki and Jaime were not.

Happymom

01-20-2003

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 6:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
KL, LOLOL! too funny!

Costa, LOL at your feeling most sorry for yourself! Yep, this was a pretty bad season.

I dislike Ben's act of skinny dipping more than I dislike Courtney. I really wish they had confronted Ben about that. Or showed that part of WTA. That was what I was most looking forward to and I'm very disappointed.

Didn't believe Courtney even when she managed to eke out a tear. (or maybe even several at the very end of her segment. Wasn't paying that close of attention to her anymore.) She is an actress. I don't think she mitigated her bad behavior on the show.

There is always at least one girl that the other girls can't stand. Courtney was just somewhat worse than in previous seasons. I wouldn't have a problem with her trying to get Ben so aggressively if she was there trying to find romance. I don't believe for a moment she has romantic feelings for Ben.

I will not be surprised if he picks Lindzi or if he picks Courtney. I think he'll get dumped no matter what. I think if Lindzi is his final pick, she dumped him after she saw the skinny dipping.

I thought Chris did a pretty good job last night. He let a couple of the girls go into silent mode and didn't fill the space, so, the girls then needed to keep elaborating. I also thought it was funny when he said to whoever (Emily?)that she had figured guys out.

I think Emily or Monica would make a good bachelorette. Or even Kacie. Even though she is young. I don't think anyone's parents can make/allow a 24/25/26 year old to do or not do anything. Shawntel's mileage on this show makes me think they are going to ask her. If that happens, I may or may not watch. (And I always watch. Even when the 'ette was Ali who I couldn't stand when she was on Jake's season.)

Were all the girls arranged in order of elimination except for Kacie and Nikki?

Happymom

01-20-2003

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 6:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
In Chris' blog there is a link to Ben's. He said he was not looking forward to seeing the women at WTA. I think that all the past bachelors have actually looked forward to seeing the women. Even if they were nervous. To me, that shows me even more that Ben is just not the most caring guy.

He also talks about Samantha negatively. I didn't like her on the WTA and don't even remember her from the show at all, but I think it's in poor taste for Ben to do that.

I like him even less after reading his blog.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 9:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
All I know is what I saw and I was very surprised about how so many of them seem to be still interested in Ben. Nicki clearly isn't over him and Kacie still wanted explanations (even after making a special trip to see him) which again indicates she isn't over him. Blakely was asking about his feelings for her. One of the women he eliminated early on asked him if he would consider going out with her if things don't work out. I was very surprised at how little anger was directed toward him and how much they still care.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 9:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, it's because we women know that men are powerless against vipers like Courtney. And I'm only half-joking. I think they blame her and are directing their anger at her. And they probably see him as the gullible nice guy.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 9:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I view it as the same as when a man cheats on his woman, instead of her getting angry at him, we see knock down scratch your eyes out fights between the women...I never understood that.