TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 30, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Feedback Forum: Suggestions and Comments: Archive through June 30, 2011 users admin

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 8:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I like Kona's idea and vote for folders with STYLE. Uh, if you know what I mean. LOL. Seriously I think it's a great idea to have the shows listed by drama, comedy, etc.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 9:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It's hard to know what is best. Some people prefer more folders and more organization so things are easier to find. The trade-off to that though is that you have to click more to drill down to what you are looking for and some people may think that makes things harder to find and more work.

One fantastic way around all that (IMO) is the search feature. Just click on "Check all new messages" at the top right corner and it will show you a nice tree display of all the new messages since you last checked. One word of warning though. It also shows the first line of each post, which is normally very convenient but not if you haven't seen a show yet and are trying to avoid being spoiled.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 9:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
FWIW, starting a new folder for a show is never a problem. :-)

Whoami

08-02-2001

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 12:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
I kinda suggested something like that in the "How The States Got Their Shapes" thread the other day. I never made it back over here to formally suggest it, so my fault for procrastinating about it. I mentioned how the "TV Shows" area seemed to be more for scripted shows, and it is sometimes debatable to put something like a documentary styled show under TV Shows or Reality shows. Since it's really neither, it can be confusing. In fact, I discovered that particular show when another poster mentioned it in the Random thread under the Other Reality shows folder. But when I started the show-specific thread, I decided it wasn't a reality show, so the only other home for it would be TV Shows.

Perhaps we don't need to break it down to exact specific styles, but maybe start off with at least a new folder for things that aren't "scripted weekly TV shows" (perhaps that would be a suitable sub-title for the current folder if you decide to split it off with another folder). The new one could cover things like documentaries, miniseries, movies of the week, awards shows, etc.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 1:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
huh? :-)

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 1:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I honestly am confused about what you all want. :-)

Do you want a new *topic* for other kinds of shows (Similar to Other Reality Shows - that's a *topic* level).

Or do you not want individual show folders, just additional folders by network (that would be very confusing to this gal who never has a clue what network things are on).

Personally, here is what I do, if I'm looking for a show that hasn't been posted in recently, I go to the search feature, and I type in part of the show name (don't want to be too exact) and under "Look in" I choose subject lines. Voila! there it is! :-)

Whoami

08-02-2001

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 1:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
I won't speak for anyone else, but what I'm talking about is what I know of as "Folders." I guess that is what you are calling topic level. Within that new topic (folder), you then could have the individual threads for each show, as is the case now.

For me, its not so much not being able to find a show's thread (where the search feature is helpful), but where to put new discussion threads in some cases (such as the documentary styled show I recently started).

Draheid
Board Administrator

09-08-2001

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 4:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Draheid a private message Print Post    
If you go to THIS discussion, you will see near the top of the screen something like this:

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Amazing Race: The Amazing Race XVIII: General Discussion

This breaks down like this:

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions<--The board itself (The TOPICS page)
The Amazing Race<--The main topic (found on the 'Topics' page)
The Amazing Race XVIII<--Sub-topic
General Discussion<--Sub-sub-topic

And so on, as deep as we choose to go with it. During Big Brother, you might see sub-sub-sub-sub-topics when we have archives inside archives by date, for example.

As for separating by 'Style', where would you put a show billed as a comedy-drama, or romantic-comedy, or any other combined variation like that. As for putting them into groups by network, I'm with Karuuna on this as I have several TiVos in the house that record shows for me wherever they find them. I rarely am able to tell you what network a show that I like airs on.

The bottom line is that there are just so many ways we could split things up and none of them are going to be to everyone's liking all the time. So the best we can do is listen and try to make sense of what the majority of the community wants and reconfigure the board to accommodate that preference.

Now, don't take this as the end of the discussion. It is not, because we want to hear from anyone who has a suggestion to improve the community. Just keep in mind that change takes time and extensive consideration before it can be implemented, if it is decided to make any changes at all. Again, the overriding consideration is what works for the majority of the community.

Pamy

01-02-2002

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 6:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
new messages is the only way to go! its easy peasy!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 9:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
what Pamy said

Whoami

08-02-2001

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 9:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
Well, like I said already, I'm not as concerned about finding a show's existing topic thread. New messages do help in that regard. But if one wants to start a new topic about a new show (or upcoming show), the new message feature is useless on where exactly to put that topic in the first place.

I agree that breaking it down by network is rough because of the reasons already stated (Not only do I have a hard time remembering what network shows are on, but also what my local channel is). Besides, not only would there the major networks to consider, but all the dozens of cable channels too.

I also agree that that breaking it down by comedy/drama/etc could also get excessive and confusing. We'd have a huge long page of topic folders to load if that were the case.

All I really was pointing out was that a third category might be nice for shows that are not reality shows, and are not regular weekly tv shows. Documentaries, tv movies, mini-series, awards shows, beauty pageants and the like are all shows that have already in the past showed up in both the Other Reality Shows and TV Shows topic areas because people just don't know what area to put them under. We've often had two discussions going on at the same time in both areas for that very reason.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 8:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
FWIW, I use NEW MESSAGES all the time. It's my drug of choice. ;)

Scooterrific

07-08-2005

Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 9:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
easy peasy lemon squeezie!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 9:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I like Whoami's idea of a "third" section - reality tv, scripted tv, and then "all the other kinds" of tv. :-) I use "new" messages for reading, but that third category would definitely help w/knowing where to write new messages.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 9:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Okay, you are starting to win me over...

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 4:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
I use "new messages" search all the time. But when I want to post something in a topic that hasn't had a new message in a while I go to that section of the board and try to find the existing thread (before starting a new one). Seems we only have a finite number of threads and when new ones push the old ones down, they get archived. Once archived, I cannot post a new message in that thread and have to start a new one (which I really don't want to do).

Case in point, I was trying to find "How I Met Your Mother" cause I wanted to say something about the last scene in the season finale. Couldn't find a thread for it (and I KNOW we've talked about it in TV Shows). So that's where I got the idea that if we had some sub-folders inside of TV Shows, then we'd have room for more threads that might not have much activity for a few months (due to show hiatus) but wouldn't get autoarchived when there are too many new threads.

Did that clear up my thoughts a little???

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 4:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Kona, that's not why we archive (number of topics).

We archive to keep the number of overall posts on the board down, and we archive anything that hasn't received a post in 60 days.

So adding more threads would not change that.

Whoami

08-02-2001

Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 4:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
OK, Let's see if I'm correctly interpreting the last two posts....

Kona is under the impression that when a TV Show's topic (or thread) gets pushed down the page by newer threads, it eventually gets pushed off the page and automatically gets archived through some sort of system software. The archived threads are then not able to be posted in, and a new thread has to be started.

Kar is saying that older threads that have not seen any activity in a while are archived manually by our esteemed Moderating crew.

Perhaps when someone wants to start commenting in an archived thread, they can just come here and ask to resurrect that thread so we can comment in it? Which is harder on the board (and our Moderators), resurrecting an old thread, or having to manage a newly started thread on the same subject?

With the current trend of networks splitting their seasons off by showing a few weeks of new shows then going on hiatus before resuming a current season, I can see where it could become problematic to find a show's thread (and continue a discussion) if it gets archived after seeing no activity in 60 days. Just a thought to consider.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 4:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Whoami, we don't resurrect old threads, generally.

If it's over 60 days old, even within an active thread, it's likely to be archived. We just pull out and archive the oldest posts, unless it's a very small thread.

So, just start a new thread. :-)

Whoami

08-02-2001

Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 5:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
OK, nevermind then.

I could have sworn I'd seen threads get resurrected. I guess I'm just

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 5:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Whoami, we have done it now and then. I did say "generally". :-)

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 7:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
Okay, thanks. Maybe for TV shows we can lengthen the "no activity" to 90 days to get through the hiatus / summer breaks / stupid delayed season?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 4:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I'd sort of go for that for shows with those breaks within a season.. but that isn't always knowable by the archiver..

I admit there are times when it seems like a thread will sit and sit and then maybe a week before that show starts up again, the thread is gone.

Yes it is easy to start a thread but if we want to put a link to the show site up in the header, then a mod has to realize that we had to start a new thread and go and create the header again, after finding a link for the show.

Of course if posters are anticipating the re start of a certain show and happen to post about that, not only does it pop the thread up, but it reminds other posters that the show is about to start up again, AND saves the thread and its comments from being archived.

I wouldn't be a fan of more levels or groups of shows, personally.

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 11:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
Might want to create a thread in News & Views (and separate out all the Misc) re: Caylee Anthony Trial?

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Thursday, June 30, 2011 - 1:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Hi Mods,

Just wondering if you could make a folder in the Big Brother 13 with each HG's picture and details of their age/occupation/location ect. Sort of like how you had the Survivor Contestants on those threads so people could comment on them.

The reason I ask is that I live in CAnada and when I go to the CBS website to view the new clips of the soon to be HG's it says I'm not the 'region' to watch them.