TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 20, 2009

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Feedback Forum: Rule Change - We Heard Ya' – Lightening Up and Allowing More Leeway: Archive through March 20, 2009 users admin

06-30-2002

Friday, March 20, 2009 - 11:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Moderator a private message Print Post    
Dear fellow TVCHer's,

We listen to you. We really do! :-)

Some of you have expressed concerns that you don't have enough latitude to express yourselves and freely discuss your favorite shows and remain within our current posting rules. However, almost all of us want to maintain the generally friendly atmosphere that everyone has come to enjoy at TVCH. What can we do?

What we will not do is relax with respect to Member interaction on the board. Poster to Poster respect is paramount. Engaging in nasty exchanges and baiting will be strictly dealt with. We are a friendly board and want to remain that way. Name calling (changing a name from Adam to Adumb) is not permitted.

What we will do is allow more leeway in discussing the behavior of Reality TV show contestants, as long as we can give a Poster the benefit of the doubt that he or she is referring to the person's actions and not making a sweeping character assassination of the person's entire life and being. As always, blatant and excessive personal attacks will never be allowed.

An example of a post that would be ok is:

"Person X is a jerk. I don't like that he drove while drinking and endangered his life and others."
While the above post does say something negative, it also discusses the behavior of the person, thereby explaining the negative feelings. However, a minimal post like
"Person X is a jerk."
would be considered bashing as there is no context for the statement and the statement is completely isolated. It also adds little value to the ongoing discussion.

We will not be endlessly clarifying what is and isn't allowed at this point. Just try to post reasonably and we'll see how it goes. Although discussing moderation on the board is against the rules, we do understand that people may wish to comment on these rule changes in general terms and without reference to specific posts and people are welcome to do so in this thread only and for a limited time.

Transition to this new interpretation of the rules will require patience and restraint by all of us but we think we can make it work and it will make TVCH a better and more enjoyable place to post.

Your TVCH Moderating Team

Eeyoreslament

07-20-2003

Friday, March 20, 2009 - 12:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Eeyoreslament a private message Print Post    
I think that people should be modded anytime they say "Person X IS a jerk." It's an internal attribution from our observation of their behaviors.

I liked your old rule. The word "IS" was the most important no-no. It was very cut and dried. If you made an internal attribution to the person themselves, it was breaking the rules. Only comments on behaviors were open to criticism. I don't think people should be able to break the rule now, just because the include some behaviors. Most people we talk about on here, we do not know personally, so I think it is wrong for us to be allowed to make personal statements about them.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Friday, March 20, 2009 - 1:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Also, is it just limited to celebrities/personalities

Or could we say (for arguments sake and because I know she loves me) Scooteriffic is a jerk. She goes out and has a drink and never invites me....

Scooterrific

07-08-2005

Friday, March 20, 2009 - 1:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
Hey Escapee...meet ya at the Clubhouse (seriously that's where we're going tonight) at 7:30 for BEERS!!!! You're buying...the band tonight is supposed to be good...Coach Ted said!

Escapee

06-15-2004

Friday, March 20, 2009 - 1:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I will be at applebees for margaritas and appetizers.

Scooterrific

07-08-2005

Friday, March 20, 2009 - 1:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
Ok well we can do a silent toast!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-31-2000

Friday, March 20, 2009 - 1:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
The rules about poster to poster interaction will remain very strict. :-)

Julieboo

02-05-2002

Friday, March 20, 2009 - 1:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Julieboo a private message Print Post    
So what's the diff? I don't get it. I thought we already could say Person X is acting like a jerk and all would be okay. I'm with Eeyore, I liked the rules as they've been. But honestly, I don't quite get the diff....

Julieboo

02-05-2002

Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Julieboo a private message Print Post    
Is "Moderator" someone who is already here? Why the anonymous-ity? (is that a word?)

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-31-2000

Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Some people have felt that it's the same thing, to say someone is a jerk, and someone is acting like a jerk. We're just trying to allow a little more open criticism, without being anal about the details of how it's said. Really, we'll do our best to discern the intent of the author. At least, I think that's the point.

We've been told to lighten up, so we're trying. :-)

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-31-2000

Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
As for the Moderator moniker, any moderator or administrator can use it to post a warning or annct. Åll of the moderators/admins are identified. There are no anonymous moderators.

Beekindpleez

07-18-2006

Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beekindpleez a private message Print Post    
We've been told to lighten up, so we're trying.

No good deed goes unpunished. Sadly.
lol

And, boy...the word "anal" sure has been popping up a lot lately. Ha!

But on a serious note: I finally got the hang of the rules so I think I'll just try to stick to that. LOL

Escapee

06-15-2004

Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
FWIW I was just being difficult.....I think the rules and restrictions are a ok just the way they are. (Does anyone say A OK anymore?)

Scooterrific

07-08-2005

Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
Anal??? What thread am I in???

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
It is okay to follow stricter rules

Scooterrific

07-08-2005

Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
SEAMONKEY I HAVE YOUR GIRL SCOUT COOKIES

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Is that a bribe?

Scooterrific

07-08-2005

Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
JIMMER I HAVE YOUR GIRL SCOUT COOKIES!!!!

<did it work?>

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
LOL - It can't hurt at this point.

Twinkie

09-24-2002

Friday, March 20, 2009 - 3:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Twinkie a private message Print Post    
I love the new rules. I think we should be able to speak truthfully about the actions of someone we don't know and will likely never meet and who put themselves on national TV. Its too fake to have to always be nice about someone we don't like.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-31-2000

Friday, March 20, 2009 - 4:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Twinkie, no one has ever said you have to be nice all the time. Criticism of someone's behavior has always been permitted, and happens all the time. We're just trying to deal with the inconsistency of what happens when one person says he's a jerk when clearly referring to someone's behavior on a tv show (which wasn't permitted before) and he's being a jerk (which was permitted).

However, meanness/viciousness will never be permitted. So it's not a license to just let loose and slaughter people. :-)

Ginger1218

08-31-2001

Friday, March 20, 2009 - 4:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ginger1218 a private message Print Post    
"However, meanness/viciousness will never be permitted. So it's not a license to just let loose and slaughter people."

Damn, I was just getting ready to wind up and let everyone have it.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, March 20, 2009 - 4:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
LOL Ginger!

Twinkie

09-24-2002

Friday, March 20, 2009 - 4:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Twinkie a private message Print Post    
I don't believe I said anything about being mean or vicious. There is a difference in criticizing and being mean/vicous.

Texannie

07-16-2001

Friday, March 20, 2009 - 4:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Would it be possible for the moderators to use their name rather than their number when moderating?