TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Upload picture and clipart menu don't...

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Feedback Forum: Report a bug, bad link or spam: Upload picture and clipart menu don't work for me users admin

Eeyoreslament

07-20-2003

Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 8:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Eeyoreslament a private message Print Post    
Hi Mods,

A while ago I wrote that the smiley menu stopped working for me, and that my picture attachments only worked half of the time. We couldn't figure out why, and I had originally thought there was no rhyme or reason to it.

After some diligent TVCH surfing the past few months <wink>, I've figured out the bug, but I don't know how to fix it. I thought I'd just tell you my workaround, and you could investigate why it happens.

Basically, those two functions don't work for me on the first posting page, but they work in my "preview message" page. I can still GET the clipart menu, but clicking on any picture doesn't do anything (not even close the smiley window). As well, I can click "Upload" and go through the whole process of uploading a file, but then the file itself won't BE in my message.

But this all works in the Preview Message screen. So what I have to to if I want to post a picture or smiley, is click "preview/post message" and then on the next screen, insert the things I had wanted to insert.

I don't know what is different on the preview screen than the original screen, that LET'S me use these features, but if you had some insight, that would be great.

PS - This happens in all of my computers, so the only common denominator is that I use Firefox for browsing.

Any insights?

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 6:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I've been trying to post a picture in the "CAPTION THIS!" thread in the BB area, but every time I try I get this message:

-------

Error

Formatting Error

There is no closing brace for the code \popjpeg {...}.

-------

However, there IS a closing brace for that code.

PS - I had to put a space between "popjpeg{" and "{...} in the above cut&paste because I was getting the same error message here! I guess the system thought my cut & paste of the error message (which also contained a closing brace) was doing the same thing - not recognizing the closing brace.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 6:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
why don't you just use the \image{picturename} code?

I didn't even know the other existed! :-)

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 7:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Karuuna, I just used the code that the system inserts when you click the "Upload Attachment" button.

Anyhow I think I figured it out. I had named the file "jor dunce.jpg" (with no space between "jor" and "dunce"). I saw it got red-dotted when I just used that name in a regular post while trying to explain the problem, so I assume it was a banned word, most likely because it had been used a slur against Jordan at some point.

I didn't know that, honest! It was a picture of Jordan in her new Dunce Cap and I must have inadvertently named the image with a made up word that was banned.

Anyhow, it's working now!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 7:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Oh, I never use that button, I just always type \image....

You learn something new every day, eh? Glad you got it figured out!

Draheid
Board Administrator

09-08-2001

Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 7:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Draheid a private message Print Post    
The popjpeg tag is only used internally by the board when you use the Upload Attachment button to pre-load a picture. You cannot use it as a standalone tag. The best way to figure out what closing brace is missing is to just put a few at the end of your message and see what happens. Usually it will be fairly clear where it is missing. This is usually more of a problem when you have several formatting tags in the message such as \center{\b{\blue\{i\{2{Hello}}}}} for
Hello

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 12:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Hi, Draheid!

Actually I never used it as a standalone tag....I just used the "upload attachment" button.

One of the first things I did was add extra braces to see what would happen, but I always got the same "no closing brace" message.

As it turned out, there was no missing brace. The error message was just plain wrong. It gave me that error message when the file I was uploading was named with a word that is banned (red-dotted).

The closing brace was always there and as soon as I renamed the file it all worked.

I discovered that if you try to upload an image that has a banned (red-dotted) word as the file name, you will get the "no closing brace". I tested it by renaming a random image with the f-word....and the upload process seemed to go well, but when I previewed the post, I got the "no closing brace" error message instead of seeing the image (I used a a panda pic in my test).

I think it's fine that the system won't allow files to upload if they are named with banned words, but the error message I got was misleading and made it very confusing.

This explanation is just FYI since I found the workaround (be sure the file name of the image isn't a word that is banned at TVCH).

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 12:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
LOL - That'll teach you to upload dirty images!

Just to let you know, a similar thing happened to me when I tried to link to a site with a banned word in the title. It took me a while before I figured out why it wasn't working.

Draheid
Board Administrator

09-08-2001

Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 2:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Draheid a private message Print Post    
Hi SanFran!

Thanks for the heads up. I vaguely remember running into a similar situation recently. The profanity filter added extra tag information and corrupted other legitimate tags in the same message.

Regrettably, I don't believe there is any recourse to correct this and have the filter ignore links and image files or something. The only other alternative would be to turn off the filter completely. Since you are basically the first to report this in over 10 years, I think we'll just leave things as they are and let others know if the issue comes up again.

Again, thank you for bringing the problem and explanation to our attention.

Have a great day.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: