TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 04, 2022

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Big Brother : USA 2022: General Discussion: Racism on BB (Kyle): Archive through September 04, 2022 users admin

Calimom3

07-12-2007

Saturday, September 03, 2022 - 8:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calimom3 a private message Print Post    
I’ve never understood that phrase, “I don’t see color.”
If anyone has ever had to describe someone, what do they answer when asked about race/skin color? I’ve never heard anyone say, “hmm, no idea, I don’t see skin color…”
Don’t they mean they don’t make assumptions BASED on color? That’s how I feel, but I definitely “see” color.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, September 03, 2022 - 8:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I think they mean that they feel they treat everyone the same way regardless of their color.

Chippy

08-16-2007

Saturday, September 03, 2022 - 9:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chippy a private message Print Post    
Not seeing color is obviously not literal but ya knew that.

All this condescending whitesplaining and judgment is a bit too much for me though. Talk amongst yourselves lol.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, September 03, 2022 - 9:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Once again, saying white privilege exists in America isn’t a personal attack on individual white people. There are lots of white people who have had truly shitty lives and overcome some awful things. It’s possible their lives may have been even shittier if they were black but that’s small consolation to those individuals. So saying white people in America have generally had it better isn’t applicable to every specific individual. It’s just a general observation.

I’ve faced challenges in my life but I can recognize that I haven’t had to face the same challenges that black people face.

Skydiver6

07-21-2006

Saturday, September 03, 2022 - 9:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Skydiver6 a private message Print Post    
Until people can realize the realities of this world and how this country was built on racism and it is systemic in our foundation and we ALL have some bias based on race in us whether conscious or unconscious then we can never change things. We have to accept there IS a problem in order to fix it. And it’s a fact that we do have a problem.

Being able to look away and not deal with this type of stuff is only able to be done by those of us who are privileged.

And like others have already said, being Provo in this context does not mean you’ve had an easy life but only that your life has not been made harder because of the color of your skin.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Sunday, September 04, 2022 - 4:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
There was a wonderful black family (they moved here from Africa) in our church. (All white except for them)

Their Black friends asked them why they went to a White church.

They told their friends they didn't see the color of the church, they liked the people they met there.

Maineiac

08-24-2009

Sunday, September 04, 2022 - 5:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maineiac a private message Print Post    
That’s a great concept Dogdoc. Perfect example of “not seeing color”.

This country will never be perfect. There are too many that don’t want it perfect and want to keep us divided.

Also, we will never fully get past racism as long as everyone is placed in boxes and categories.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Sunday, September 04, 2022 - 7:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I completely understand Chippy. However, if a black person and a white person walked into a room full of strangers, the white person is probably going to get more respect even though no one knows anything about either person. That’s white privilege. That’s not to say we should allow to be shamed and blamed for being white.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, September 04, 2022 - 9:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Lakecat, well said!

Fan3

07-07-2005

Sunday, September 04, 2022 - 10:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Fan3 a private message Print Post    
I think if a white person goes in in everyday work clothes or worn clothes and a black goes in with a suit on the Black person would get a better reaction.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, September 04, 2022 - 10:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
So a black person has to dress better to be thought of well? It sounds like that is what you are saying.

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Sunday, September 04, 2022 - 11:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
One of Taylor’s “downfalls” was Paloma did not appreciate Taylor’s wardrobe, especially around the guys.

Maineiac

08-24-2009

Sunday, September 04, 2022 - 11:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maineiac a private message Print Post    
I can’t speak for Fan3 but I took it that we as a society judge more on socioeconomic standings than skin color.

Fan3

07-07-2005

Sunday, September 04, 2022 - 12:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Fan3 a private message Print Post    
That what I was saying. In the 50’s and 60’s might have been race that decided that but today it is the economic that decided it. Or that has been my experience.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, September 04, 2022 - 3:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I don't think we should judge people on their clothing any more than we should judge them on the skin color.

So, while wearing more formal clothing can attenuate inherent bias... it's simply not okay that two people dressed the same, but having different skin colors are seen differently. And especially in this day and age, where my DS did not one single interview for his last job in person. He could have been wearing underwear from the waist down ... LOL

My two

Fan3

07-07-2005

Sunday, September 04, 2022 - 3:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Fan3 a private message Print Post    
I judge people on there actions and words.it is not a perfect world and you are not going to get everyone to agree to your way of thinking. That’s why we are a free democracy. And with that I am out of this endless discussion..

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, September 04, 2022 - 3:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Fan3, that's wonderful! But again, we aren't talking about individuals, we are talking about society on a bigger (overall) scale.

Earthmother

07-13-2002

Sunday, September 04, 2022 - 4:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Earthmother a private message Print Post    
Fan, no one is talking about anyone in particular. I'm sure the majority of us ty to live by the golden rule. Unfortunately, REALITY tells us that too many do not. Too many people do not say anything when they see it happen. Too many people have the idea that it doesn't involve them so they don't get involved and stand up for the rights of others. "it's not my business." " As long as they leave my rights alone is all I care about." "I don't want my friends and family to get mad at me". "I have my own problems" "That sounds too political for me". "THey should pull up their bootstraps and succeed like I did". Some people don't have boots. I HAVE HEARD THOUSANDS of these things said. Where in the Golden Rule does it say, only people I know or only people like me?

This has more to do with empathy and standing up and insisting everyone is treated fairly and equally especially by their own government. If we don't take steps to change old hatreds, then we have to admit that we agree with the systematic racism we have created from the birth of this nation.

Maineiac

08-24-2009

Sunday, September 04, 2022 - 4:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maineiac a private message Print Post    
And that is why we will never get past everything being racist. Because we can’t see people as individuals.

Maineiac

08-24-2009

Sunday, September 04, 2022 - 4:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maineiac a private message Print Post    
So now it’s a government thing?

Smevic

08-07-2008

Sunday, September 04, 2022 - 6:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Smevic a private message Print Post    
A woman I work with was relating a story about a crime and said, "Of course, they were black." I said, "What's that supposed to mean?" She replied "Oh, you know, it seems like it always is." I invited her to look at the mugshots for our county and see that 99% of them are white and told her she was being nasty and there was no excuse.
I swear, I tried to stop talking because it happened in front of a client but I couldn't do it...I told the client I was sorry she had to hear it...not that I said it. The coworker never mentioned it to me again.

Earthmother

07-13-2002

Sunday, September 04, 2022 - 6:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Earthmother a private message Print Post    
Our government is now and always has been systematically racist.

Bamagirl

08-26-2012

Sunday, September 04, 2022 - 7:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bamagirl a private message Print Post    
It doesn't take much for people to take a stand. Years ago, we lived south of Atlanta and would buy season tickets for the kids to 6 Flags. I was sitting right inside the gate waiting on my husband to join us while the kids were riding. I am a people watcher so I was just watching guest filing in. A group of kids dressed in goth type clothes, chains hanging from the jeans to their pockets.

Cops come walking up and pull the group to the side and I just couldn't sit there and watch them target these kids. That's exactly what they were doing. Amazing when I walked up asking if there was a problem, how fast they let the kids go. I saw the group thought out the day, fun group and every time they saw me... they would yell out THANK YOU.

Sometimes, speaking up is the right thing.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, September 04, 2022 - 7:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
We won't get past being racist if we don't admit there's systemic racism in this country.

Bamagirl

08-26-2012

Sunday, September 04, 2022 - 9:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bamagirl a private message Print Post    
Right Karuuna!