TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 03, 2022

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Big Brother : USA 2022: General Discussion: Racism on BB (Kyle): Archive through September 03, 2022 users admin

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, September 03, 2022 - 12:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Well the article was written three years ago and BB has been significantly more diverse in the last couple of years so we can give them some credit for that. At the same time they’ve gone backwards by forcing contestants to make very snap superficial decisions about each other very early in the game, supposedly for our entertainment purposes. Quite frustrating to all of us who enjoy human interaction and seeing relationships develop.

Chippy

08-16-2007

Saturday, September 03, 2022 - 1:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chippy a private message Print Post    
With ya dogdoc.

I was the only white nurse on shift at an elPaso hospital back in early 1980s. I only lasted 8 months and that was mostly because I couldn’t quit till I could save up enough to move. It was a horrible experience and one I’ve never forgotten. Not before or after have I treated anyone differently because of race and while it is a fact that there are racists in this world, I’m not among them any more than I’m among the other ugly categories that exist in this world so I’ll make no apologies for being white or for calling out racism no matter the color of the racist. Maybe if I had an ounce of white privilege I might believe in it but I grew up in a lower class neighborhood and cleaned tables and dishes starting in 6th grade so I could earn lunch. I’ll acknowledge the sins of the past but I’ll not take any responsibility for them.

This is a game. We forgive way worse than I’ve seen this season. And this topic is exactly what has ruined this game in my opinion. Lots of facts are ignored to get to where we are and it’s not fair to those of us who chose to be better. You’re not automatically oppressed any more than you’re automatically not oppressed.

And we all have out opinions based on our life experiences. No one’s are more valid or more right. This season will now cause next season to be afraid to nominate so and so or align with so and so or vote out so and so… yikes is right.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, September 03, 2022 - 2:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
White privilege doesn't mean that all white people have easy lives. :-)

It means that even if you have a difficult life, you still don't have to deal with the things that POC deal with - like financing/lending disparities, like being followed in retail stores, or unfairly targeted by police. There are many more examples. Is it true for every POC, no. Is it true as a general phenomena in our culture? Yes.

And yes, we all have opinions. But I take issue with the idea that they are all equally valid. I can have an opinion that the moon is made of green cheese. That opinion is stupid.

Opinions based on verifiable, widespread facts are quite simply more valid than opinions based on personal experiences alone.

Chippy

08-16-2007

Saturday, September 03, 2022 - 2:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chippy a private message Print Post    
That’s quite a valid comparison… life experience vs a cheesy moon lol. Pffft. Stick a fork in me.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, September 03, 2022 - 2:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Well, the example was meant to be extreme (and thus not debatable), that was the point - that opinions are not all equally valid. Sorry you're done. :-)

Jadajean

03-23-2008

Saturday, September 03, 2022 - 2:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jadajean a private message Print Post    
Being born white in America is a privilige in of itself. What you do with it is up to you.

BB, Survivor, etc. didn’t become more diverse until after the George Floyd killing even though things like that had been happening forever. I for one don’t think it would have been as big as it was if we were going about our daily lives and not stuck at home glued to the news because of Covid.

No need to comment as it’s just my humble opinion.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, September 03, 2022 - 3:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It certainly sounds like you've had a lot of challenging experiences in your life, Chippy.

Earthmother

07-13-2002

Saturday, September 03, 2022 - 3:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Earthmother a private message Print Post    
The difference between fact and opinion on the following grounds:

The fact is described as the statement that can be verified or proved to be true. ...
Fact relies on observation or research while opinion is based on assumption.
The fact is an objective reality whereas opinion is a subjective statement.
Facts can be verified with the help of evidence or statistics. ...
Facts explain what actually happened.
An opinion can be fiction, or it can be, based on facts, but facts are based on proof through science and evidence.

White Privilege is a fact. Those of us born without dark skin have an easier time in life for the most part. We are accepted in society while POC have a much more difficult time. We are primarily thought of as safe where a POC has to be watched because the opinion of many is that they can't be trusted. It is not ALWAYS, but statistically a white person has many more options and treated differently by most institutions. That may not sound like much to some, but it is systemic in this country and found in all of our segments of society, such as education, financial, judicial, medical, etc. The reason we can't fix it because too many choose to deny the truth and the facts that it does exist. We need to do better.

Thanks to those who have taken the time to have this conversation, on a game venue. People are people at the end of the day, game or no game.

Chippy

08-16-2007

Saturday, September 03, 2022 - 3:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chippy a private message Print Post    
Jimmer… we all have our struggles. I will forever be offended by the term white privilege and will continue to work at being a good human no matter the noise or the hypocrisy or even the new lingo. And I’m okay with that. IMHO all of this just further divides us.

Earthmother

07-13-2002

Saturday, September 03, 2022 - 4:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Earthmother a private message Print Post    
I understand Chippy. I do not apologize for being white either. But I work to create change in those who refuse to accept that there is a discrepancy in treatment. I worked 25 years as a white woman in an inner-city middle school. I have seen it, so I know it exists. The difference in the education allocations to the school I worked in and the suburban school my own children went to are startling. Even the difference in punishment was much harsher in the inner-city school and most all of the administration during those years were White men.

Time moves quickly and I think we tend to forget that many POC didn't even get an education at all 60 years ago. We didn't have Black and rarely Latin kids in our schools. They were not allowed to attend our school. Many of their parents never were educated so they couldn't help their kids with reading, writing or math. Only this last couple of generations went to college and still they are in the minority of students. We can't fix the future until we understand the past.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, September 03, 2022 - 4:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I wouldn't ask anyone to apologize for being white. That's not what the term white privilege means.

It simply means that there are certain inequities in life that white people never have to face, but POC do. I don't see how anyone can claim that's not true.

Chippy

08-16-2007

Saturday, September 03, 2022 - 5:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chippy a private message Print Post    
So let’s demonize a different race to make up for the past that we didn’t create, support, or a lot of us even live through? Nah. I’ll stick with treating everyone the same regardless of color and not dwell on the things I couldn’t change in my own life that made me who I am. Sometimes it’s a hard road out of a dark hole but there certainly are more hands up these days if ya just have the will to grab on.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, September 03, 2022 - 5:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
No one is suggesting that any other race be demonized. We're just saying that white people, while many struggle, don't have the kinds of struggles that POC do on top of other struggles. That is all.

I'm glad you did well, and that you treat everyone the same. I wish everyone did, but it's clear that it's not happening yet.

Earthmother

07-13-2002

Saturday, September 03, 2022 - 5:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Earthmother a private message Print Post    
Amen Kar.

Chippy

08-16-2007

Saturday, September 03, 2022 - 6:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chippy a private message Print Post    
Here’s the thing. What you are describing has not existed for me. I’m glad to be able to not agree with it really. Our goal in my mind should be to stop using color at all to describe one another..but, I’m old and I don’t have time to learn a whole new language or even care to…

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, September 03, 2022 - 6:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Chippy, unless you are a POC, it doesn't exist for you. My son is a young white male, and frankly, he's had a pretty easy life. He had no idea until he went to college and some of his friends were POC what they went thru. It opened his eyes, and while I thought mine were open, I really had no clue until I listened to them. So, there they were, going to the same college, taking the same classes, etc, going to the same places, yet his friends were treated very differently, even in a somewhat "enlightened" college town - and worst of all, by the university police.

So, while you may not have seen it, and I believed it just by reading about it, the extent of it was not known by me until I spoke to these young men.

So, that's what I mean by "white privilege", that my wonderful white son didn't have to deal with what these other amazing young men did.

Chippy

08-16-2007

Saturday, September 03, 2022 - 6:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chippy a private message Print Post    
Yeah there’s crappy people and some are police. Some are whatever else they become and keep their crappy behavior with them. I’m not them and so many more of us are not them than are them so no, I’m not buying it. But that’s me and I can live with that. The difference is that it’s not important I try to convince you cause it’s ok with me if we see things differently. And we do.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, September 03, 2022 - 6:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I don't think you are following me. But you have a nice night.

The fact is that racism is alive and well, and that's why the term white privilege was coined.

No one is saying YOU are a bad person, or whatever. We are talking about a widespread issue in our culture. And it's real, whether you see it that way or not.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Saturday, September 03, 2022 - 7:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I think many of us were raised to treat everyone the same and not see color. What it should have been is to treat everyone the same and SEE color.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, September 03, 2022 - 7:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Amen, Rieann!

Earthmother

07-13-2002

Saturday, September 03, 2022 - 7:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Earthmother a private message Print Post    

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Saturday, September 03, 2022 - 7:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
The issue with being color-blind in terms of race, is that you can dismiss all the concerns, experiences, and real-world issues of racism that plagues this country from both an individual level and in society. To not see color is to dismiss the chance to improve and progress into a more civil society. Kyle said that he suffered from unconscious bias. Let’s hope he makes an honest effort to better himself.

Earthmother

07-13-2002

Saturday, September 03, 2022 - 7:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Earthmother a private message Print Post    
Agree Lilfair. To me, not seeing color is just a way to opt out of the conversation. The topic is hard for some, but it has to be had.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Saturday, September 03, 2022 - 8:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
yes, I took a while for me to learn that it's not about being color blind. It's a tough subject and I have learned a lot over the past several years. And still have more to learn.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, September 03, 2022 - 8:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I don’t automatically think that everyone who says they don’t see color is just trying to opt out of the conversation. Some truly believe what they say.

Unfortunately, a lot of people still do see color and even if more people now aren’t racist, the effects of racism still linger and will for a long time.

As Kar said though, that doesn’t mean that all individual white people are bad. So it’s something we need to recognize and do something about but it’s not a personal attack.