TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 01, 2022

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Big Brother : USA 2022: General Discussion: Racism on BB (Kyle): Archive through September 01, 2022 users admin

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, September 01, 2022 - 11:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Kminfinity, that’s certainly possible but, unfortunately, at this point it is all supposition. I have very little faith in BB production ever presenting things accurately. To them, this is all about entertainment.

Hwest

07-01-2011

Thursday, September 01, 2022 - 11:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hwest a private message Print Post    
Kyle has done what he's done and Michael (and Brittany) have done what they've done. Kyle is walking out the door tonight. Will these events also bite Michael and Brittany in the butt if they make it to the end? We'll see.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Thursday, September 01, 2022 - 11:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
To add to Strategists post, I would like to add something.

When this was going down in real time and the dr was "talking" to them about it. Spoilergirl said that BB doesn't come right out and say anything to them. They ask them questions to lead them in their thinking. Otherwise it would be game interference. At the time, Spoiler girl said that according to her source, Michael and Britt caught on immediately. Kyle didn't get it.

I agree with Jimmer that I don't think Michael is getting more hate than Kyle. (At least around here. I have no idea what Twitter is saying.) It's just that there's not much to disagree with about Kyle on the board.

And I think a reason that Monte is salty with Michael about this whole thing is because they are supposed to be in an alliance and Michael never told him. Michael benefitted from this information for 2 weeks. Knowing that Kyle wanted an all white alliance, and with Michael being white, he knew that Kyle would never target him. And Monte, for being black, it automatically puts him at the bottom of the alliance totem pole through no fault of his own. It wouldn't matter how well he played the game. That, and the suspect timing.

Now I'm wondering why Michael is getting all the blow back, and Brittney isn't getting any. But then again, maybe she will down the line.

And why didn't Kyle talk to Turner about the all white alliance?

Kebob

09-16-2006

Thursday, September 01, 2022 - 11:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kebob a private message Print Post    
Some other instances where Kyle exhibited problematic behavior were his use of the term Silent Majority when he was proposing the all white alliance, and his characterization of Monte, Taylor and Joseph as being the loud and aggressive ones as opposed to the white people in the Leftovers. In a different conversation he lamented being a white straight male thereby being at the bottom of the pecking order.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, September 01, 2022 - 12:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Good points, all. Thanks for the respectful discussion.

Bottom line... we don't have all the facts, so IMO it's wrong to judge any of them too harshly.

I will still say a lot of what is being said about Michael and Brittney seems more based on supposition than facts about their behavior. We don't know how strongly they condemned Kyle's suggestion, we do know Brittany made it quite clear it wasn't okay with her "I won't be part of THAT."

I'm not sure what people expect in context of the game. Are people supposed to potentially jeopardize their game by taking strong stands about these things? That's a lot to ask. It ultimately was a desperation move by Michael, who saw his own chances in the game slipping away. Are we to fault him for using something he didn't want to use (per his diary room sessions) earlier when it seemed like he had nothing else?

I don't know... I can't really condemn Michael for that. He's a true BB fan and this is his dream.

Kyle (clearly to me) was guilty at a minimum of implicit bias... but it seems more to me. He may not have been conscious of it, but lamenting that he's a straight white male ... that's a different horse.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Thursday, September 01, 2022 - 12:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Kminfinity, I agree that CBS handled this poorly. At the beginning of the season, whenever the cookout got mentioned, the feeds would cut. Whenever race was discussed, feeds were cut. This was long before they started to protect Kyles game. I dont even believe they were doing it to protect Kyles game. I think its to protect themselves (from what, I dont know) and pretend that race and race issues don't exist. To sanitize everything.

It really annoyed me the other night when Taylor was telling Kyle about her experience when she won her pageant and she was getting hate for it. I would have loved to hear the end of her story and how she dealt with it. Who is CBS trying to protect from hearing the end of it? We already heard most of the story. It wasn't to protect Kyle, it didn't happen to him. It wasn't to protect Taylor, it already happened to her. She is aware that she may get more hate mail, but she wanted her story told. So, all is left CBS. What do they need to be protected from?

Aggravating.

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Thursday, September 01, 2022 - 12:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
I don’t think this situation is what will or would bite Brit and Michael in the tush. The fact that Micheal is a veto beast is what may prevent him from winning. His social game doesn’t overcome his beast-i-ness. I don’t think Brit is in good enough social standing for anyone beside Micheal or Taylor to give her a vote for the win.

Kyle’s weird and odd idea- if there is a cookout pt 2 there should be a counter non poc cookout just doesn’t sit well with me.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, September 01, 2022 - 1:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I'm not sure what people expect in context of the game. Are people supposed to potentially jeopardize their game by taking strong stands about these things? That's a lot to ask.

That is a very good question. Taking a stand against racism can involve risks and penalties both in the game and in real life. While I understand why people don't take a stand, it's hard to argue that not taking a stand is the right thing to do. If your life or your family's wellbeing is put at risk that is one thing. Losing a game? Not so sure.

I do agree that it's a lot easier for us to sit and judge watching safely at home after giving it some thought, unlike being in that pressure cooker of a game. So I have some empathy for Michael and Brittany.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Thursday, September 01, 2022 - 1:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Michael and Brit sat on the info and used it for gameplay. Very disappointing. The fact that they now are saying it weighed heavy on them makes me roll my eyes

Kebob

09-16-2006

Thursday, September 01, 2022 - 1:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kebob a private message Print Post    
And we also should acknowledge that POC have had to let instances of racial bias go since forever because pointing it out almost never benefits their game. Michael and Brittney are some of the first white contestants who’ve had to navigate this and they are still not the ones being targeted.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Thursday, September 01, 2022 - 1:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Just to add some levity, maybe I'm the one who's biased. I really didn't like Joseph being put on the block! I think it tainted me LOL

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, September 01, 2022 - 1:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
LOL Strategist. Big Joseph fan, eh? I agree that he is hard not to like.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Thursday, September 01, 2022 - 1:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
We all have bias, some are more aware of their bias than others. I think Michael and Brit were in a no win situation. No matter how they handled it they would be open to criticism. I think you have to be a strong person or a fool to go on these shows and have your every move picked apart and judged. I'll be very interested to see how it is handled on the show tonight. Also a no win situation as they won't have much time to devote to this and keep the show moving along.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, September 01, 2022 - 2:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Talking about jeopardizing your game, it's notable as well that when Michael and Brittany revealed this information at a time that would help them the most in the game, Turner responded by acting immediately and doing something that likely hurt his game. Of course, we can say that it may help Turner in real life but it certainly jeopardized his game. He accepted that penalty.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Thursday, September 01, 2022 - 2:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
To add to all this speculation and things we did not see....

I saw a tweet the other day saying that when Michael and Terrence had to pick teams, Michael told Terrence to target Joseph. Could there be any truth to this?

Bamagirl

08-26-2012

Thursday, September 01, 2022 - 3:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bamagirl a private message Print Post    
Watched a pod cast and Jasmine felt if anyone would spill on the alliance, it would be Kyle. She was spot on.

Taylor just told Alyssa that Kyle stood up for her during the game.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Thursday, September 01, 2022 - 3:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Bama, and Britt told Michael in the storage room that she would do no such thing as putting in a good word for Kyle to Alyssa.

She said Alyssa deserves better. Lol!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, September 01, 2022 - 4:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
For all we know, the migration is already completed... we have no other info. There was a very brief board outage this morning. <shrugs>

Maineiac

08-24-2009

Thursday, September 01, 2022 - 4:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maineiac a private message Print Post    
Talking about jeopardizing your game, it's notable as well that when Michael and Brittany revealed this information at a time that would help them the most in the game, Turner responded by acting immediately and doing something that likely hurt his game. Of course, we can say that it may help Turner in real life but it certainly jeopardized his game. He accepted that penalty.

Exactly Jimmer! As a huge fan of Turner I was not/am not happy with Michael’s calculated, sudden decision to find his moral compass.
None of what unfolded this week helped Turner in any way. It only hurt his game.
If Michael truly cared about what Kyle was suggesting and not making it about his game, he would have responded the way Turner did.

Maineiac

08-24-2009

Thursday, September 01, 2022 - 4:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maineiac a private message Print Post    
Grooch, Michael voiced in the diary room his hope that Terrance would target Joseph because that would benefit his game.
Michael is always in self serving game mode. He used what Kyle said to him and Brittany for complete gameplay. No different than what Kyle did.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, September 01, 2022 - 4:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Grooch, I thought Michael hoped that Terrance would take out Alyssa, while he took out Jasmine.

Terrance hoped that Michael would ta JJ e out Monte while he took out Joseph.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Thursday, September 01, 2022 - 5:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Sea, I think he said he wouldn't mind if Joseph ended up going.

I saw an old post I posted around the 24th where I said that Michael said he was planting seeds among the LOs so they would go after each other and he could stay in the middle.

So, he says one thing to the others while plotting something else. So, things can get interesting this week. Even if Michael wins hoh, who will he put up and who does he really want gone?

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, September 01, 2022 - 5:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Codebear posted this in the LFD thread but I think it’s appropriate here as well.

quote:

Newsweek article:

'Big Brother' Fans Accuse Michael and Brittany Of Using Race Row for Game

https://www.newsweek.com/big-brother-spoilers-kyle-racist-michael-brittany-2022-1738800

That’s a big publication.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, September 01, 2022 - 6:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
They also published:

https://www.newsweek.com/big-brother-kyle-capener-spoilers-2022-racism-taylor-hale-monte-1738401

Kyle Addresses 'Big Brother' Racism Scandal But Viewers Reject His Apology

and...

https://www.newsweek.com/big-brother-viewers-accuse-editors-protesting-racist-housemate-1734703

'Big Brother' Viewers Accuse Editors of Protecting 'Racist' Housemate

FWIW, they report on Big Brother every week. :-)

Grooch

06-16-2006

Thursday, September 01, 2022 - 9:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Well, here's a clip of Kyle and Michael discussing a possible POC alliance starting. Back when Dan was still around.

Link