TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 19, 2020

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Big Brother : USA 2020: General Discussion : Can the game be played without the accusation of Racism?: Archive through September 19, 2020 users admin

Strategist

07-01-2014

Sunday, September 13, 2020 - 2:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Certainly many white people have difficult lives. Just like the term "racist" is offensive to people who don't want to be seen that way, the words "privilege" and "entitled" are also triggers. So rather than wondering who's shoes we want to be in, it might be helpful to look at some statistics:

Median Net Worth of a Family:
White: ~$171,000 Black: ~$17,150

Median household income:
White: ~$70k Black: ~$40k

People under 18 living in poverty:
White: ~10% Black: ~30%

Unemployment Rate:
White: ~12.5% Black: ~17.5%

Home Ownership:
White: ~75% Black: ~45%

Deaths from COVID-19 (per 100,000 cases)
White: ~40.4 Black: ~88.4

Infant mortality rates (per 1,000 live births):
White: ~4.7 Black: ~11

Maternal mortality rates (per 100,000 live births):
White: ~14.7 Black: ~37.1

Incarcerations(per million):
White: ~300 Black: ~1500

Police Killings (per million):
White: ~13 Black: ~31

Based on this, on average, black people in American have far more difficult lives than most white people. For those who want to learn to understand, there are more facts here:

These numbers show that black and white people live in two different Americas.

Here are some facts and statistics about race in the US.

Learn about the color of COVID-19 deaths by race and ethnicity in the US.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Sunday, September 13, 2020 - 4:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Is there a difference between 'white advantage' v
'white privilege'?

What are privileges that are kept from Blacks?

No, I don't want to wake up a different color. I don't even want to wake up a different age. I want to keep what I was born with.

Maineiac

08-24-2009

Sunday, September 13, 2020 - 5:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maineiac a private message Print Post    
Why bother to answer a question when before we have a chance, we are told how we are suppose to answer?

Keldogg, to answer your question, no I would not choose to be born black. I would not choose to be born to a parent that was lynched. I would not choose to be born to Great grandparents that were slaves. I don’t believe anyone would choose that.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Sunday, September 13, 2020 - 10:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Dogdoc, All of those things that Strategist listed are indicators of the existence of white privilege (or advantages that white people have simply because they are white). Other examples are being able to argue with a police officer with less fear for their life, not being specially followed or watched by store security (as demonstrated by Jadajean's and Keldogg's examples), and much more.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Sunday, September 13, 2020 - 1:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Thank you Jimmer.

Maineiac

08-24-2009

Sunday, September 13, 2020 - 2:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maineiac a private message Print Post    
I agree with Jimmer on what she has posted.
Also, I would love to dig deeper into many of the statistics that strategist shared.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Sunday, September 13, 2020 - 3:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
I shared the statistics to try to shed light on the imbalance that exists for black people. This is a pervasive systemic issue where black Americans are on average far more disadvantaged than others. Black Lives Matter and other advocacy groups are trying to equalize the playing field somewhat. The goal is not to suppress the rights of white people. It is about creating racial equality and justice for everyone.

In this environment many Americans of all races are suffering in many ways. It's understandable if you are white and your family is poor, unemployed, or sick you may feel hurt when the emphasis seems to be on helping people of color. But this is not about hurting white people.

I don't take it personally when I see someone advocating for black people. I recognize that black people do not have the same opportunities as I do. I know that I am privileged. I try to think about how it must feel for those who don't have what I have. I feel blessed when people step up to help fix these systemic issues.

Every day, I push through the discomfort and try to find ways of explaining what life is like for a black person...and it's not about diminishing white people. Right now, black people need allies like us more than ever. We can all be the solution to this systemic issue.

Maineiac

08-24-2009

Sunday, September 13, 2020 - 4:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maineiac a private message Print Post    
I understand what you’re saying Strategist. But I also feel that many/most people of all colors need allies. Like you said, in this environment Americans of all races are struggling in one ay or another.

Do you know the cause of each of the statistics you shared?
Why is infant mortality and maternal mortality rates height for black women?
Why is Covid death higher for black people?

Strategist

07-01-2014

Sunday, September 13, 2020 - 4:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
I agree that many people need allies. I work in a sector where we support all kinds of marginalized people including women, LGBTQ+ members, poor, homeless, people who are incarcerated, with disabilities, addictions, mental illness, Indigenous Peoples...

In this racism thread I happen to be advocating for black people and other people of color. This by no means negates or devalues others who need help.

Your questions are great, Maineiac. The answers are complex and really require more than a line or two, but I will briefly respond here.

Do you know the cause of each of the statistics you shared?
Much of it dates back to the brutality of slavery and segregation and the legacy it left families. We also know that there are people who actively work against taking down barriers.

Why is infant mortality and maternal mortality rates height for black women?
Mostly poverty and lack of healthcare and social services in the US.

Why is Covid death higher for black people?
Mostly because they are forced to work in industries that expose them to the virus, live in crowded spaces, and have chronic health conditions.

Hope this helps...there is much more information available for those who want it.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, September 13, 2020 - 6:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I would note, in addition to what Strategist said, that POC are far less likely to have access to basic health care than others. That's what leads to infant mortality (poor maternal care) and more chronic health conditions (higher Covid death rate).

In addition, many studies have shown that even when they do have access, there is significant bias by the medical profession, which means they don't get the same care as others.

That's what systemic bias means. And also, why "white privilege" is real.

Maineiac

08-24-2009

Tuesday, September 15, 2020 - 6:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maineiac a private message Print Post    
Strategist and Karuuna thank you for responding.
I agree this is very complex. I believe that is why there i no simple reasons or solutions.

I want to address a couple things from my experience and just to be clear this is only my experience from where I live, my job and what I see daily. It's been mentioned several times and by both of you that there is a lack of basic health care and social services. Both of those are available to low income people. I work for an Ob/Gyn doctor dealing with scheduling and insurance. We have a high number of Medicaid participants. In this profession there is no room for bias. What I see is a high level of non-compliance. When you're not showing up to your monthly and weekly appointments, not answering your phone, not taking your prescriptions properly, testing positive for drugs while pregnant, what is the doctor suppose to do? We have no control over what these pregnant women do outside of the office. Then when they go into labor early or have complications it's the doctors fault. It has nothing to do with lack of healthcare.

I see it a little differently. Many of our pregnancies are young girls ranging from 15-mid twenties. Many come from households with little help, they only know their environment. They are repeating the cycle. How do you stop the cycle?

Give them opportunities. There are thousands of programs that have been established to help black communities. But they still have to do it themselves. They have to possess the drive and motivation. Many times they don't have the family support system or encouragement. Like I said, its a cycle that is hard to break.

I agree we have a systemic bias, but I also see this as a socio-economic issue as well. How do we change that?

As for Covid death rate being higher, I do think they have a higher rate of chronic health issues.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, September 15, 2020 - 8:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
To be honest, I think the number one problem to be solved is education.

In the US, schools are funded through property taxes. Well, duh, that ensures that lower income areas, with lower property values, have less money for education.

It's been shown over and over that early education matters so much in terms of later life success.

I want to take gentle issue with your post. I understand you are seeing it as a *personal* responsibility issue, putting most of the emphasis on individuals.

But I think people miss the importance of *systems* in which people grow up and live and learn that FORMS their attitudes toward personal responsibility. You can't cleave one out from the other. They are intricately connected.

Non-compliance can be due to a lot of things. Poor education that doesn't emphasize the need for taking care of oneself. Or, a family background of the same.

And you said there was no room for bias in the medical profession? Research studies say something very different. Implicit bias is rampant in the medical profession.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Tuesday, September 15, 2020 - 8:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
When you're not showing up to your monthly and weekly appointments, not answering your phone, not taking your prescriptions properly, testing positive for drugs while pregnant, what is the doctor suppose to do?

The doctor might be able to put in more effort in dealing with the reasons behind why these patients don't have the ability to do what they are supposed to do. That's hard thing to ask because the whole system (government, hospitals, doctors...) need money to run. We tend to blame poor and addicted people for not "fixing" themselves, but what they actually need is for us to show them the way out of the situation that they are in. When there is a limited amount of money, time, and interest in supporting poor black people who don't have the ability to do what they are supposed to do, then nothing gets done to improve their situation.

They are repeating the cycle. How do you stop the cycle?

A lot of it has to do with poverty and lack of an infrastructure to properly support the people who need the help. Stopping the cycle needs people who care about helping those people. A lot of Americans judge black people who are in dire circumstances and blame them for the situation they are in. Other Americans actively suppress them by putting in policies and procedures that make it harder for them to dig out from under all the challenges they have. To change this, we need to invest time, money, and energy in helping people understand why these things happen.

I agree we have a systemic bias, but I also see this as a socio-economic issue as well. How do we change that?

You are right. We don't just need to educate the people who are unable to improve their situation. We need to educate ourselves. We also need to advocate for them and develop a socio-economic infrastructure in place to make everyone's lives better.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Tuesday, September 15, 2020 - 8:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Karuuna, I agree fully with the points you made.

I do want to add that we need to take "personal responsibility" but that does not mean the same thing as "taking it personally."

When we "take it personally" either we ignore the problem or blame the people for "their" problem.

Because this is a *systemic* issue, we can work together to try to fix it. So this means that every single one of us can do something. We can try to learn about the problem and help fix the problem.

Maineiac, I feel that your questions are incredibly helpful. They are a good step for anyone who reads this thread and wants to try to be the solution.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, September 15, 2020 - 10:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
In Texas we have what is called the "Robin Hood" method of school financing - they take money from the wealthier districts and give it to the less affluent districts - now how well those districts manage that money is up to them.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, September 15, 2020 - 10:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
By the way, Maineiac, I ran across this on tv today (not a Dr. Oz fan, normally).

https://detroit.cbslocal.com/2020/09/15/dr-oz-investigates-racial-bias-at-hospitals-and-doctors-offices-all-around-the-country/

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, September 15, 2020 - 10:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
As I understand it, Roxip, there are significant distribution problems with Robin Hood, and it's never worked as designed. It doesn't provide enough money to make a difference in poor districts, and many districts that are still highly disadvantaged have now been reclassified as "wealthy" comparatively when they don't have enough funding if they kept all their property taxes. Keep in mind, that it does NOT in any way, equalize what is spent per student across the state. It just limits how much the wealthy communities can *keep*.

So, in communities with high property values, they still get to keep a large portion of those taxes. The overage is redistributed.

But in poorer communities, that overage is almost *ALL* they money they get. So, it's not equal at all.

That's why property taxes shouldn't be used... period. It was a good idea on its face, but it was poorly executed and managed. Not because of how some districts used the money.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Friday, September 18, 2020 - 11:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Jun Song @JunDishes

This is exactly why BB15 happened right after Paula Deen’s scandal. It was no coincidence.

CBS is not stupid. They know how to get press, especially at the expense of black people/POC.
Quote Tweet

Eva Afriyie @EvaAfriyie

I’m beginning to think that #BB22 producers are encouraging the racial tone in the house (this season in particular), because the show is trying to be part of the BLM news headlines of 2020.
12:32 PM · Sep 8, 2020

I've been thinking this since the season started. Very evident in the editing.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, September 18, 2020 - 1:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I agree that this system is not perfect - and nobody is happy with it - but there are some schools that have certainly been improved (mostly infrastructure) by the re-distribution. New schools, improved buildings - but again, it still doesn't work in the way that it was hoped to work. Personally I wish that more would have been spent on improving academic achievement and less on looking better, which is what I think happened in a lot of cases.

Keldogg

08-12-2005

Friday, September 18, 2020 - 6:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Keldogg a private message Print Post    
POC made up 25% of the HG's this year.

As of today, looking at the people nominated for the block at nomination ceremony, 81% were people of color.

But nope. No racism to see here.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Friday, September 18, 2020 - 7:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
The system was stacked against them from the start.

Sportsfan

09-03-2007

Saturday, September 19, 2020 - 6:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sportsfan a private message Print Post    
The game was stacked against them along with Janelle, Kaysar and Ian right from the get go because 2 previous winners set up a large pre-game alliance. Noms were because they were not in that alliance or they had little value to that alliance.

In Janelle's case she was doomed as she is a huge target and there were not enough OGs to back her.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, September 19, 2020 - 10:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
They targeted the people who weren't a part of their alliance. The first three people who were voted out were white women who weren't part of the big alliance. A POC was voted out next because he was closely allied with one of the white women.

The fifth person who was voted out is black. The next one that was voted out is a white guy who won previously.

White woman
White woman
White woman
POC (allied with and close friends with the previous white woman voted out)
Black woman
White man

I agree that BB as a whole shows systemic racism but I can see why some people have trouble seeing it.

Keldogg

08-12-2005

Saturday, September 19, 2020 - 10:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Keldogg a private message Print Post    
There should be a star next to the last evictee.

The only reason a white man was evicted was because all of the POC were safe.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, September 19, 2020 - 10:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That is a valid point!

Still, the first four evictions (on the surface anyway) don’t appear to be racially motivated.