TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 12, 2020

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Big Brother : USA 2020: General Discussion : Can the game be played without the accusation of Racism?: Archive through September 12, 2020 users admin

Maineiac

08-24-2009

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 9:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maineiac a private message Print Post    
Have you heard the expression “walk a mile in my shoes”? “Be careful what you wish for.” “The grass isn’t always greener”
“Life is like a box of chocolates.”

Just because someone is born white doesn’t automatically make their life better or easier than someone born black.
The systemic bias that has been talked about isn’t exclusive to black people or minorities.

Keldogg

08-12-2005

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 9:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Keldogg a private message Print Post    
You do understand I am not talking on an individual basis. I am not asking would you rather be say a white grocery clerk earning $15 an hour vs being Beyonce.

I am saying if you had a choice tomorrow morning to wake up with a certain color skin, would you choose to be black?

Jadajean

03-23-2008

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 9:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jadajean a private message Print Post    
It gives you a head start. What you make of it is up to you. I'd like to know what systemic racism does someone born white have to deal with unless you are uneducated and poor in which case you still have a foot up on a minority who is uneducated and poor.

Maineiac

08-24-2009

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 9:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maineiac a private message Print Post    
Do I get to keep my same parents that already raised me?
Yes I think that matters.

Jadajean

03-23-2008

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 9:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jadajean a private message Print Post    
Yes, you get to keep your same parents but all of you are black now.

Govols

07-18-2005

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 9:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Govols a private message Print Post    
Tried very hard to not post again on this thread. But, I wanted to answer the question.
Yes, I have wished I had black in me. I wanted ....oh wait, I can't mention the reasons. <77>

One more thing, re: security cameras (for one, I wouldn't be looking for them), but there could be many reasons those cameras are where they are. Many.

I agree, carry on. Going back to my corner, in the basement, in the dark, where nobody will find me.

And yes, God can make me any color He wants to because He gave me a Book to teach me the hard lessons in life and how to come out victorious in any situation. Not one single person on this site has walked in my shoes to know what I have been thru. I haven't walked in yours either. I do have empathy for anyone's strife. But, it is difficult when someone wants to blame me for their strifte...

Keldogg

08-12-2005

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 9:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Keldogg a private message Print Post    
Your parents are black too. And your grandparents. Except one of them might have been lynched. And maybe your great grandparents were slaves. And killed by their owner.

You would be happy choosing that?

Keldogg

08-12-2005

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 9:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Keldogg a private message Print Post    
And I am not talking "black in me". I am talking full on black. Born to black parents. From black grandparents. You don't get to pick the good parts. You have to take all of it.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 9:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Perhaps you could answer the same question yourself? If you had a choice tomorrow morning to wake up with a certain color skin, would you choose to be white?

Jadajean

03-23-2008

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 9:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jadajean a private message Print Post    
Govols - I never said it was a camera. I said it was a sign directly by the ethnic hair products and only by the ethnic hair products. Big difference.

Having black in me and being black are two different things. I'm at a loss as to why people are so up in arms about the way I Repeat I felt.

Keldogg

08-12-2005

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 9:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Keldogg a private message Print Post    
You are asking me if I would be willing to wake up tomorrow as a black person?

Sorry you edited after I answered. I am not sure who this was directed towards.

Jadajean

03-23-2008

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 9:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jadajean a private message Print Post    
Jimmer- no I don't. I don't have a problem with me being who I am.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 10:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Thanks Jadajean.

Keldogg, I just changed it to use your exact words, but switched it around. I've been thinking about your question and I was curious about how you would answer it yourself.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 10:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
By the way, Marshall’s posting a sign like that is insulting and hurtful.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 10:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Well if we get a choice I would be a white male, they get all the benefits and seem to feel they can tell women what they should be allowed to have.

It's very clear to me, and I see it all the time, the white privilege in society.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 10:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I think trying to turn the question around doesn't make sense, it's not particularly helpful, and most of all, it misses the point of the original question.

If you're not willing to answer the question you were asked, asking a different question isn't going to further the discussion and understanding.

It's a given that being black means you are going to generally have a more difficult life in the United States. It's just a fact. Let it go at that. That's the point of the question.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 10:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
There is no doubt in my mind that black people, in general, face many more challenges in life than white people.

That's a much easier thing to state than suppositions about changing the color of my or your skin.

If Keldogg wants to ask me that question then I can certainly ask her as well.

Gusmonster

06-01-2005

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 10:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gusmonster a private message Print Post    
I would not choose to be black - or Gay. Life is hard enough being white and straight.

Keldogg

08-12-2005

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 10:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Keldogg a private message Print Post    
Well I fall in the category of "black in me" so I have had different experiences than Jada has. I have experienced racism but not anywhere close to the level of others.

It would be easier for me if I had been born to 2 white parents and 4 white grandparents. I know that and I have experienced that.

Like I knew when I went to The Coach Store a couple years ago with my cousin and my Auntie. We separated because they actually wanted to buy purses and I was laughing at them because hell no I am not gonna spend that kind of money on a purse.

Only to watch as the Security Guard started following them around the whole time while I was free to wander around with nobody paying me any mind.

When I walked up to them and started talking to them, he said "oh. Are you all together?"

This happens every single day to every black person in this country.

So if a white person is truly being honest, they would not wsnt to wake up as a black person in America.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 10:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Yeah I agree. I just don't think white people saying "I'm happy I'm white and not black" will necessarily create the right impression.

Keldogg

08-12-2005

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 10:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Keldogg a private message Print Post    
Because to do so would acknowledge there is white privilege.

And some people don't want to admit it.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 10:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I think you're still missing the point. :-(

Sometimes listening is better than debating.

Reflecting on the question, and offering insight on it, means you are making an attempt to understand the point of the question. Flipping the question does none of that.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 10:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
And by the way, the answer isn't "I'm happy I'm white and not black." The answer is I recognize that if I had been born black, my life would be more difficult. And Frankly, it's been difficult enough with that added.

Why is it so hard to just say that and leave it at that? Really?

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 10:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
“Yeah I agree” isn’t debating. I don’t think I’m missing the point.

Jadajean

03-23-2008

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 11:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jadajean a private message Print Post    
I actually fall into the "White in me" category as a number if African Americans do in this country. The questions I get all the time are what are you. Answer = Black. Are those contacts = no they are not. Can I touch your hair = hell no. Which of you parents is white = neither. You aren't that dark = we come in all shades. Is that a weave, it was shorter last week. = no it's not a weave. It's called shrinkage - I just flat ironed it.