TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 12, 2020

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Big Brother : USA 2020: General Discussion : Can the game be played without the accusation of Racism?: Archive through September 12, 2020 users admin

Strategist

07-01-2014

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 9:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
The companies who cancelled Nicole decided that they did not want her to represent them. Clearly, Nicole is not someone that they feel represents their product adequately for whatever reason.

If "cancel culture" is such a huge issue when a person is "cancelled" for poor behavior, then shouldn't it be an issue when someone is "cancelled" for simply being poor, gay, disabled, black, Muslim...?

I pose the question not for an answer, just so that we can all be introspective about who gets to be "cancelled" and who gets to be the person doing the "cancelling".

It seems to me that people in power get to choose every time. Mostly, in our culture it's been wealthy, rich, white people who have been able to "cancel" whomever they want for whatever reason they want.

The power is shifting in our world and people who have been marginalized for far too long are speaking up. It's often the power of the people that's driving the "cancel culture" now. It's no longer the wealthy, rich, white people who are making all the decisions by themselves. IMO that's a good thing.

Bbpeach

07-07-2005

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 9:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bbpeach a private message Print Post    
My feeling is that if you choose to make a living simply by being popular, better make sure you don’t do anything that can be construed as controversial. Doesn’t seem like that hard a task. If it is, get a real job.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 9:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Strategist, I loved your post about how BB mimics culture. It's spot on!

Molliegirl

08-04-2009

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 10:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Molliegirl a private message Print Post    
From the things being said in the house now BB has addressed it with them. Nic asked Cody if he had been called in yet because Dani had been talked to and he said no. He acted like it wasnt a big deal that someone on live feed probably heard what they wanted and they'll deal with it once they get out. So i think that's why Dani said I cant put up Ian. And Nic has been telling everyone to tell her if she says something offensive so she can correct it. I want them and others to think before they speak instead being told afterwards so they can "fix" it. I am a Hispanic woman who has dealt with racism but would never go after someone's business or character especially when they are unable to have a discussion about it or defend themselves. Sometimes it is hard to be that one saying you're wrong and please dont say that when you're in a group of people you are stuck with for months. There is no where for them to go and there are several who dont care about what they say about other house guest. I dont care for Nicole but she seems to be the only one being trashed on social media and her business affected. They all laughed and joked and said things insensitive so they all need to feel the sting. JMO

Keldogg

08-12-2005

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 10:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Keldogg a private message Print Post    
Nicole's business is social media so its seen by more people.

That doesn't mean the others arent gonna be affected, but it won't be as public because they do not have sponsors.

If you make social media your source of income, you should not be surprised if social media decides they don't want to support you.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 10:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Janelle and Kaysar are immensely popular on this board. Did they try to align with the so called outsiders or did they reject them as well? What happened there?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 10:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Everyone was rejected who was not part of the pre-game alliance.

Keldogg

08-12-2005

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 10:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Keldogg a private message Print Post    
Janelle and Kaysar tried to rally the " outsiders" into a group but were rejected.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 10:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Thanks Keldogg. That's what I thought but I wanted to be sure.

Why did the "outsiders" reject Janelle and Kaysar and why didn't they form an alliance with Janelle and Kaysar and each other?

Maineiac

08-24-2009

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 10:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maineiac a private message Print Post    
I agree Mollie.
I'm totally confused as to why twitter and social media has gone after Nicole yet the others are not mentioned. If any of them deserve ridicule and labeled a bully, it would be Memphis. What he has done to David while in the house is beyond disgraceful.

Strategist, I don't agree with the last part of your comment. "Cancelling" white people simple because they are white is not a good thing. In your statements you're putting all white people in a convenient little box to suit a purpose. That is not justifiable, fair or right.
Isn't that what black people, minorities are fighting against.

Pschrfhd

05-22-2011

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 10:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pschrfhd a private message Print Post    
Janelle and Kaysar absolutely tried to align with the so-called outsiders, Jimmer.

The insiders, however, were able to convince them that J/K were not to be trusted, etc. resulting in the early eviction of that "duo."

Keldogg

08-12-2005

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 10:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Keldogg a private message Print Post    
Again, social media has gone off on the others. A lot. The difference is they don't have sponsors to drop them.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 11:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
"Cancelling" white people simple because they are white is not a good thing.

I never said that it was. I don't think that anyone should be cancelled simply because they are white. I said exactly this:

"The power is shifting in our world and people who have been marginalized for far too long are speaking up. It's often the power of the people that's driving the "cancel culture" now. It's no longer the wealthy, rich, white people who are making all the decisions by themselves. IMO that's a good thing."

Strategist

07-01-2014

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 11:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Keldogg, you are right. A lot of the others have been implicated online. The only reason this is coming up for Nicole is that some of her sponsors don't believe that they want to be associated with her anymore.

Chippy

08-16-2007

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 1:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chippy a private message Print Post    
Creating racism from nothing will create racism. It was Day who came into the game determined not to vote against any POC and made that known. It was Bay who thought it was a good idea to tell anyone about her untouchable. It’s a game for a lot of money. Judging every game move as if it is based on skin color is just wrong IMHO. And deciding someone’s life or livelihood should be ruined shouldn’t be so easy. If this is the standard, no POC could be nominated or voted out without insinuating something that isn’t even there. I was so hoping BB could be an escape from this new reality but I guess not.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 1:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I wonder what made the insiders more convincing than Janelle and Kaysar. If anyone ever went into the game with a solid reputation for good and fair game play it would be Kaysar and Janelle. Ask me who I would have faith in and I'd pick them for sure.

Keldogg

08-12-2005

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 1:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Keldogg a private message Print Post    
The racism and microaggressions some of these HG's are displaying is not nothing.

You are correct that not every game play is racist. But you are incorrect in saying this season is free of systemic racism.

Meggieprice

07-09-2001

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 1:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Meggieprice a private message Print Post    
Jimmer , from what I have heard it was part of the gameplay of the Derrick/Dan pre-alliance to immediately make fake alliances with some of the outsiders that would keep them from forming their own alliance because they would think they had one in the cool kids group. Day and Bay thought they were in the six, Nicole made an alliance with Ian etc.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 2:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Sadly that is a solid strategy and that is the main thing that I dislike about all star seasons where so many of the contestants know each other prior to the game even starting. Playing the game before it even starts opens up the possibility of an unfair advantage.

I was looking at the earlier seasons of BB and I noticed that minorities (or "outsiders" as referenced recently) had considerable success. Consider the following for the first seven seasons:

BB1 Eddie (winner) Curtis (3rd)
BB2 Monica (3rd)
BB3 Danielle (2nd)
BB4 Jun (winner)
BB5 Marvin (6th)
BB6 Ivette (2nd)
BB7 Danielle (6th)

Rather interesting to say the least.

Chippy

08-16-2007

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 2:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chippy a private message Print Post    
Maybe I’m not correct or incorrect. Maybe I just have different opinions and life experiences and maybe I don’t make such broad generalizations about race. Maybe I believe white is a color too and it’s our heart and our soul that defines us all and not the shade of the color in our skin pigment.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 2:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Creating racism from nothing will create racism.

Systemic bias is not nothing. Implicit bias is also not nothing. There were examples shared before.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 2:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
In 22 seasons there was only one person of color who won and it was not a black or brown person. I'm not pointing to racism. I'm not judging white people. I am suggesting that systemic bias was the root cause of the imbalance.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 3:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Early on I posted:
Teaching about racism, discrimination and systemic bias has helped me understand these are deep-rooted issues which are hard for many of us to see. I've learned that calling people out as racist seldom helps. That is because nobody wants to believe that they are racist. All of us hold biases whether we believe it or not.

Never once have I called a white person racist, nor have I called any BB player racist, or made any broad generalizations about all white people. Yet we can see that it's a very touchy subject. We all have biases and sometimes that causes incorrect assumptions.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 3:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
it’s our heart and our soul that defines us

All through the years we have seen on Big Brother allies and advocates for women, people of color, LGBTQ+ community members and other marginalized groups. That's a very good thing.

Unfortunately, systemic bias is strong and it is hard to overcome especially when there are people who do not believe it exists. This is why education on racism, discrimination, and systemic bias is so important.

Our heart and soul does define us. The first step that we all can take is understanding how certain vulnerable groups of people are affected by institutional, endemic, and implicit bias. The second is learning how we can help eradicate it for everyone.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 3:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
To correct one statement I made. Racists do exist and I have called political figures affiliated with certain groups (like KKK, Neo-Nazis, or White Supremecists) racist, but I do not believe that anyone here belongs to those groups.

I do believe, however that we are all on a learning journey. In my experience, people have changed their minds about things like systemic bias only after they have made a serious attempt to understand the issue better.