TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 09, 2020

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Big Brother : USA 2020: General Discussion : Can the game be played without the accusation of Racism?: Archive through September 09, 2020 users admin

Worldtraveller

06-26-2019

Tuesday, September 08, 2020 - 12:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Worldtraveller a private message Print Post    
And to answer the original question,
Ubly Michigan
Population/2019 785 people
98% White
.02% Black
.08% Hispanic
There you go.

Why doesnt Survivor have these problems? Cause starvation knows no color?

Keldogg

08-12-2005

Tuesday, September 08, 2020 - 12:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Keldogg a private message Print Post    
Systemic racism is tiring.

Being afraid to drive your car down the street without being stopped by police is tiring.

Walking into a store and automatically being under suspicion is tiring.

Having people mutter racial slurs under their breath is tiring.

Being held to a different standard than white people is tiring.

And having people not listen to you is tiring.

We are all tired.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Tuesday, September 08, 2020 - 12:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Here is a link that talks about the debunked internet rumor and where the money from BLM goes:
https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/jun/12/ryan-fournier/conservative-pundits-share-false-claim-about-black/

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Tuesday, September 08, 2020 - 1:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
If we are concerned about representation, African Americans are 13% of the U.S. general population and 19% of the Big Brother population. One could argue that they are over-represented on BB.

Keldogg

08-12-2005

Tuesday, September 08, 2020 - 1:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Keldogg a private message Print Post    
And yet out of 42 people that have made the finals, only one person has been black.

That says a lot too.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Tuesday, September 08, 2020 - 1:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Thank God BB can't cut a person in half to represent the US population correctly, since they are "over-represented". Just kidding. I know that you understand my sarcasm, Jimmer.

On a more serious note, this is why we help minorities. They don't have enough representation so they need advocates and allies. Otherwise there is the potential of them getting pushed around by the majority.

Worldtraveller

06-26-2019

Tuesday, September 08, 2020 - 2:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Worldtraveller a private message Print Post    
BB has lost its mojo seasons ago, the houseguests no longer think for themselves....like Ive stated before, the annoying IG and "effin influencers", and I have "a brand"(XMAS) shillers have added to the BS.
Kaysar was the only one to show a pair of palle this season....as my nona would say

Worldtraveller

06-26-2019

Tuesday, September 08, 2020 - 2:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Worldtraveller a private message Print Post    
Anyway.....don't see any change.
The thoughtful comments on this subject was enlightening and comforting considering the current vocabulary of this country the past 3 1/2 yrs. Thank you

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Tuesday, September 08, 2020 - 3:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
In line with Keldogg's and Strategist's comments, I was looking at the finals as well and it's discomforting how few black people have been successful on BB.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Tuesday, September 08, 2020 - 3:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Worldtraveller I agree that there have been some thoughtful comments here. In fact, all the comments have been enlightening and helpful to me. It's good to understand what causes us to think in a certain way. I know that I have learned a lot!

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Tuesday, September 08, 2020 - 3:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Interestingly, POC have had much more success on Big Brother Canada.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, September 08, 2020 - 4:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
And that's because diversity is far more prevalent and better accepted in the Canadian culture.

Maineiac

08-24-2009

Tuesday, September 08, 2020 - 7:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maineiac a private message Print Post    
Strategist, since you shared the link, I will direct this question to you.
What qualified the BLM to be a non-profit organization. Do you know what they do with the donations they receive?

It appears that even though the statement made on social media was stated as false by PolitiFact, Act Blue and BLM seem to be tied together along with the Democratic Party.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, September 08, 2020 - 7:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Let's be clear.

Act Blue is a nonprofit that handles the *administration* of accepting donations and then forwarding them to the appropriate organizations. They do not decide WHO gets the money. It is a TECHNOLOGY company. The only fundraising it does on its own behalf is to cover its operating expenses.

BLM is not currently a nonprofit. The donations through ActBlue go to Thousand Currents, which is a nonprofit. This by the way is a common strategy for new nonprofits as they seek nonprofit status. Many nonprofits that I have volunteered for use an established nonprofit to handle their funds until they are approved.

Thousand Currents then pays bills, etc for the expenses of the Black Lives Matters Foundation.

Keldogg

08-12-2005

Tuesday, September 08, 2020 - 7:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Keldogg a private message Print Post    
Act Blue is a platform used for people to donate money.

Similar to gofundme. People use the platform to donate to different causes.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, September 08, 2020 - 7:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Here is a very good article that explains the legal relationship between Thousand Currents and the BLM Global Network:

https://www.insider.com/what-is-thousand-currents-black-lives-matter-charity-2020-6

Strategist

07-01-2014

Tuesday, September 08, 2020 - 7:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Strategist, since you shared the link, I will direct this question to you. What qualified the BLM to be a non-profit organization. Do you know what they do with the donations they receive?

I believe that Keldogg and Karuuna explained the ActBlue platform sufficiently and that the Global BLM Network is not a US based non-profit.

The Global Black Life Matters Network is clear about how they spend their money. It goes towards a lot of programs and chapters in the US, UK, and Canada. Their broad mission is to eradicate white supremacy and intervene in violence inflicted on Black communities.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Tuesday, September 08, 2020 - 8:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Going back to something that was said earlier about privilege. Clearly in the US, poverty affects people of all races and religions. Those who have no homes, those who have been unlucky in life, those who lose access to healthcare and social services, those who are returning from military service, those who are addicted, those who are abused, those who are trafficked, those who are disenfranchised from their families because of their gender identity, those who lose their small businesses, those who have no jobs...I could go on.

The demographics are changing as the rich get richer and the middle class get poorer. This of course affects everyone who does not have money.

When we talk about white privilege it is not only about how much money a person has. It's about the benefit of doubt that white people tend to have in society that people of color often do not have. Both groups have many of the same challenges that I outlined above, but for POC, they have additional barriers that make it even more difficult for them to advance and have opportunities. The barriers are related to education, housing, financing, policing, legal aid, healthcare and more. We all benefit when these issues are dealt with in a compassionate way.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Tuesday, September 08, 2020 - 8:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Interestingly, POC have had much more success on Big Brother Canada.

Canada does have it's issues with systemic bias which has been escalating in recent years. Most Canadians have a lot of exposure with POC although less so in small towns and rural areas. But because we are a welcoming and inclusive society it's harder to pick out those concerns. Also because we gladly accept immigrants from all countries the demographics favor healthy interaction. This translates over to our BB, I believe.

BB is played in other countries around the world. I wonder if racial bias is an issue anywhere else.

Maineiac

08-24-2009

Wednesday, September 09, 2020 - 4:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maineiac a private message Print Post    
Strategist, thank for responding about the use of the donations.
I know what Act Blue is, I read the link that was shared. I was just curious what the donations to BLM was being used for. There is specific criteria required to become a non profit and wondered what they would fall under.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, September 09, 2020 - 9:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Maineiac -

I was addressing this remark: Act Blue and BLM seem to be tied together along with the Democratic Party.

Yes, Act Blue is a nonprofit fundraising platform for *progressive* causes only. But they only fundraise for these causes, they aren't activist in any other way. That's the only way they are "tied" together.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Wednesday, September 09, 2020 - 9:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
To be even more clear and fair:

Biden's campaign uses the ActBlue platform.
Trump's campaign uses the WinRed platform.

The money that I would be concerned with is not about campaign donations.

It's about known conspiracy theorists and social media personalities purposely telling lies about Black Lives Matters and POC in general in order to line their own pockets. They have *personal* GoFundMe accounts and PayPal accounts that are meant to skim money from disenfranchised (mostly white) poor and middle class people and enrich themselves by spreading hate.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Wednesday, September 09, 2020 - 9:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Leaving the racism discussion for a moment, who think's that it's okay to laugh wildly about someone on the autism spectrum who needs to rock? These people. Not an ounce of empathy. Do they not care for anyone but themselves? SMH

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Wednesday, September 09, 2020 - 10:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Ok, I know that Ian has to rock, and I am fine with that.

It bothers me to watch him though.

I wonder if another form of autism is hating to see repetitive actions.

When my mother was alive, she had menopause hot flashes for the rest of her life.

I could not stand to watch the fan move that she continuously used to fan herself.

I couldn't help myself. I had to sit with my back turned to her.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Wednesday, September 09, 2020 - 11:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
It definitely can make someone uncomfortable. Some people are not comfortable with chewing, brushing feet on the carpet, nails on a chalkboard. Many things can be unnerving.

What I just can't take is when people laugh at other people's challenges in life. It's becoming more commonplace these days. I remember the lessons parents taught their children in the past about respect.