TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 07, 2020

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Big Brother : USA 2020: General Discussion : Can the game be played without the accusation of Racism?: Archive through September 07, 2020 users admin

Strategist

07-01-2014

Sunday, September 06, 2020 - 1:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Sassyza thanks for starting this thread. I hope you are feeling much better. I'm actually experiencing a bit of a flareup of my chronic illness. Depending how it goes, I may be slow to respond in the next few days but I am following the discussion.

Govols

07-18-2005

Sunday, September 06, 2020 - 2:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Govols a private message Print Post    
Popping in-still listening. <77>

I have a great deal to respond to, but one point stands out to me. Strag wanted a response to the police going into the house with white and black children.
No one should allow police into their house in a possible crime situation w/o telling them who is in the house. ESPECIALLY when there are children inside. The mother should have focused more on that aspect and imo taken responsibility for that as well.
But the most important plea I have is that my wish is that anyone being pulled over by the cops, submit to their requests. The mother touched on this and it is crucial.
I believe differently than some (and that is fine) that policemen/policewomen are not out to take down a black person. There are many statistics to support this fact.
Law enforcement deserves the respect. If you don't, then don't call them when you need help.

Get pulled over, act like a decent human being and get home safely. That's all for now.

<77>
You have a right to your opinion/thoughts.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Sunday, September 06, 2020 - 3:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Govols, I noticed that you are listening. Earlier, you asked for the removal of the word "the" and I appreciate that. I think that we can all get better informed and as I said very early in this conversation, I believe that we all have biases and not many people appreciate being called racists.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Sunday, September 06, 2020 - 3:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Get pulled over, act like a decent human being and get home safely.

This is a discussion of Big Brother so I won't get into how many people have done this and still ended up in jail, prison, or dead. I appreciate how scary that must be for some vulnerable populations who see themselves as being targeted.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, September 06, 2020 - 4:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Govols, I know you believe that there isn't systemic racism in policing.

But are you aware that under the Bush administration, TWENTY police depts came under the review and admonishment of the Justice Dept for exactly that? Systemic racist behavior within the entire department.

And under the Obama administration it was over forty?

The evidence is clear that there is a problem with policing. Moreover, there is a bigger problem in that police training has moved from a guardian mentality to a warrior mentality (us versus them). There are some great articles out there on "killology" if you are interested in learning more about this issue.

As for just obey the police, as someone who comes from parents of European origin, I find such an assertion troubling. It seems to imply that we have a group of armed people who can approach you and order obedience under the threat of death. That's not how a free society works.

Jadajean

03-23-2008

Sunday, September 06, 2020 - 5:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jadajean a private message Print Post    
How people can believe their is no systemic racism in policing is beyond me.

George Floyd
Michael Brown
Breonna Taylor
Atatiana Jefferson
Stephon Clark
Rashard Brooks
Elijah McClain
Philandro Castille
Sterling Brown
Freddie Gray
Eric Garner
Akai Gurley
Tamir Rice
Sandra Bland

Shall I keep going.

Jadajean

03-23-2008

Sunday, September 06, 2020 - 5:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jadajean a private message Print Post    
I also heard Dani’s comment and cringed. Does she think that the police care if her adopted son’s mom is white. shaking my head!!!!

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Sunday, September 06, 2020 - 6:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I know she talked about adopting a black child but what exactly was Dani's comment? Thanks.

Skydiver6

07-21-2006

Sunday, September 06, 2020 - 8:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Skydiver6 a private message Print Post    
I just wanted to say that I appreciate the comments by Kelldog, Strategist, Karuuna, Jadajean and Kappa. I usually always read this site every season but haven’t been here yet this summer but I had to check in after Da and Bay were nominated.

I would love to see a season with more POC than white people and would love more LGBTQ people and quirky people like Nicole A and people of all sizes. I’m really tired of entitled white pretty men and women.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Monday, September 07, 2020 - 7:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Skydiver6. I would also love to see a season where there is a balance of diverse people from the start. It would be very interesting to see how various cultures and races can come together to achieve mutually beneficial goals.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Monday, September 07, 2020 - 7:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Here is a different way of looking at the systemic imbalance that happens with Big Brother. Their typical formula is 8-9 young white participants, one black woman, one black man, one person from another ethnic group, one older person, and one LGBTQ representative. Do you see where the power might reside?

Mom_of_three

08-01-2011

Monday, September 07, 2020 - 8:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mom_of_three a private message Print Post    
Ok so listening to this anytime anyone wants to get out two players that are black it’s racist, but if they want to get white players out it’s not, it is a game move. So therefore just because of their skin color they should win even if it is better for your game. Does that make sense? My opinion if someone is good for your game do not nominate them, if they are nominate them it does not matter their skin color or sex

Strategist

07-01-2014

Monday, September 07, 2020 - 8:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
It's not necessarily racist to put up two black people at the same time. I'm not sure if it was racist to put up both of them at the same time, but I'm convinced that they are at a disadvantage because of the way the game is set up in the first place. Systemic bias favors certain people over others.

Keldogg

08-12-2005

Monday, September 07, 2020 - 8:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Keldogg a private message Print Post    
No one here has said that. Systemic racism is not one single event. Its ingrained in our society. Its ingrained in our language. Its ingrained in how we view others.

The fact that everyone who has been in the block have been a few white woman who were not part of the "cool kids" and POC is an example. The fact that everyone who the "cool kids" have put on their list for getting rid of are POC. The fact that POC have been described as scary, violent and dishonest. The fact that if white women cry, they are immediately surrounded and comforted. The fact if a black woman cries, she is called too emotional and ignored. The fact that the cool kids actually talk about making a black woman "go off".

Just a few examples of systemic racism playing out on Big Brother.

Jadajean

03-23-2008

Monday, September 07, 2020 - 9:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jadajean a private message Print Post    
Ditto Strategist.

Jadajean

03-23-2008

Monday, September 07, 2020 - 9:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jadajean a private message Print Post    
Ditto Keldogg

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, September 07, 2020 - 9:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
It's not that they put two POC on the block.

It's how the alliances got formed in the first place, and that the POC were not included in the "cool kids" alliance. And for the most part, in the history of BB, POC have NEVER been included in the major alliances.

That's something to think about.

Kminfinity

06-29-2005

Monday, September 07, 2020 - 11:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kminfinity a private message Print Post    
This is an outstanding thread and one reason that all those years ago I became a BB Fan - The microcosm of society.

If I could like these posts there are so many that would have hearts, especially for Karuuna, and Strategist, and Keldogg, and Jadajean, and Meggi, and if I didn't name you I'm sorry, those names have been familiar to me for years now!

But I want to especially thank Gusmonster, whose story of her experiences closely parallels my own in so many ways.

I'm a middle school teacher, and I struggle every year with "checking myself" to do the work, as a white woman of privilege. Since I grew up in a working class poor family, and lived in "projects" for while after my dad lost his hand in an industrial accident and was unceremoniously fired, it's always a challenge for me to ensure I understand my struggle STILL is one of white privilege. And as I share my story with my class (in an upper middle class wealthy private school) it is always powerful to see kids start to understand the empathy required to check themselves, especially when students of diverse backgrounds begin to open up about their lives, and their white classmates are shocked to realize they had assumed they all existed on the same footing - and they don't.

There are so many people speaking out with important perspectives, and I'd like to share this one that holds significance for me personally. Caveat: I am NOT a sports fan, and so to see leaders in the sports world step up and be present to this issue means much.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/29744710

Strategist

07-01-2014

Monday, September 07, 2020 - 12:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Kminfinity thank you very much! I for one have appreciated this thread tremendously.

I'm in the middle of developing a new program centered around the "world of work" that discusses bias, discrimination, wage gaps, barriers to entry, and other imbalances. Much of my research is evidence-based (facts and statistics about salary discrepancies, unemployment, poverty, oppression, and dispossession). You all helped put humanity into something that could be very dry and difficult to discuss.

The stories that you all have shared over this long weekend have enlightened and enriched me. This insight will drive how I teach this program moving forward. Thank you for that gift!

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, September 07, 2020 - 1:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I am married to a black man and have 2 black sons. This year has really opened my eyes that even I was guilty of some systemic racism. I was one of those people that thought no way can I be racist since I am married to a black man and have black sons. I grew up in a very diverse area and always had friends of different races. This thread is a wonderful and I am learning even more.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and opening my eyes even wider.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Monday, September 07, 2020 - 1:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
This makes me smile.

Maineiac

08-24-2009

Monday, September 07, 2020 - 5:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maineiac a private message Print Post    
I've been reading all the comments in this thread since it was created. There was something said early on that has stuck with me these last few days. Gusmonster quoted her childhood friend as telling her to "keep checking yourself".

I grew up in Northern Maine. My high school graduating class was almost 200 kids and not one classmate was black. The only black people I came in contact with wasn't until I met my husband who was in the Air Force and stationed at the Air Base only 2 miles from my house. I was attending a local community college and venturing out to bars across the Canadian border. I had zero experience with black people or racism but moving out of my little world changed that. Military life changed that. Until I got married at 22yrs old and moved to New York, I led a very sheltered, country life. I look back now and realize that what that afforded me was the ability to look at each individual I met and see them as a human just like me. It's possible that it was my mum's upbringing and influence because she was a saint.
My travels led me from Maine to New York to North Dakota and finally Georgia. I've met people from all walks of life, all walks of the world.

We settled in an international city in the middle of Georgia and I was able to raise two girls in a very multi-cultural environment thanks to our military life. I couldn't have given them a better gift. They have friends from all backgrounds and nationalities.
On the subject of privilege. Even though I grew up in an area with no black people we still had underprivileged white kids. Those kids were faced with life among 'white privilege'. We had kids that were born into wealth, born into skills, born into brains. As was mentioned, the 'cool kids'. They didn't have to worry about being looked at for being over weight, unattractive, poorly dressed, unintelligent or not good enough for sports.
With my travels in adult life, I can say it wasn't just white kids who are privileged. I've been surrounded by very wealthy, successful, established black families with very privileged black children. So I have to say the term 'privileged' bothers me because it has many different meanings and it's become a weapon in our divisive world.

Getting back to my first statement and the quote "keep checking yourself". It really struck me because it is so true for ALL of us as humans. We all, no matter where we come from, our up bringing, the color of our skin or our privileges, we all need to keep checking ourselves.

06-29-2002

Monday, September 07, 2020 - 7:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Moderator a private message Print Post    
Folks, please remember this board has rules for appropriate posting. Criticizing other posters is against them.

And if you see such a post, please don't comment. It just makes more work for us. Thank you.

Govols

07-18-2005

Monday, September 07, 2020 - 8:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Govols a private message Print Post    
<99>
We clearly have a division on this board regarding how we believe society works. Each of us have the right to our own opinions. We have a choice on what we want to focus on in our lives.
I have had words put in my mouth again the year on this board. Never said I didn't believe in systemic racism as Karuuna stated.
I don't appreciate when that happens and don't appreciate when I am talked to like I am wrong for having my own personal thoughts. Mods, I am okay with this-people need to be heard, even if I don't agree with some of them.

It's difficult, but we need to respect each other even if we don't agree. I would love to read a study "Why do people not accept the fact we all are not going to agree?".

Jada, I also hear you. I don't want anyone to live under a cloud of fear like you spoke of. Sincerely mean this.

I spoke previously about blacks friends I have (I pray I said that correctly).
I get a great deal of my information from these youtubers.

Bevelyn Beatty *
Officer Tatum (usually has facts about the people Jada listed)
Anthony Brian Logan
Prager U
Candance Owens

*Bevelyn has one talking about 2 types of black people. It includes a word that I don't like, but she certainly brings up some different insights.

Strat-I am interested in your thoughts if you would like to check out some of the youtube videos.

Someone mentioned previously that it isn't anybody's job to educate me and I don't think it's my job to educate you on the way I think. The statement that this is a white person's problem doesn't seem like an avenue to go if we are trying to have a discussion. Kel-I know you are frustrated and I am as well. None of this changes the fact that I love your posts and your humor.
<99>

I think we are all doing the best we can.

Meggieprice

07-09-2001

Monday, September 07, 2020 - 9:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Meggieprice a private message Print Post    
I take issue with the implication that those who are treated badly at the hands of the police when stopped or pulled over somehow did not behave or do the right thing when they were pulled over. That s simply not true. The inability to understand the difference in the treatment of POC is exactly what we are trying to shed light on and explain here and in the BLM movement. As my idol Bruce Springsteen eloquently says in his song 41 shots- you can get killed just for living in your American skin.