TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
It is a Game .... Right?

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Big Brother : USA 2020: General Discussion : It is a Game .... Right? users admin

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Tuesday, August 18, 2020 - 2:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
We all look forward to this and then the houseguests and fans all get so upset.

Is BB a game or is it real life?

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, August 18, 2020 - 3:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I think for the most part it is a game. I'm always surprised how most of them can shake it off and be friendly after the show with those who were their mortal enemies during the show. It makes me feel silly for investing so much emotionally into the show and worrying about my faves. On the other hand I suppose there have been some who get on with their lives, putting the show, and everyone involved, behind them.
I do think 'it's real life' for those who use the show and their fanbase to become podcasters etc.

Pschrfhd

05-22-2011

Tuesday, August 18, 2020 - 5:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pschrfhd a private message Print Post    
Either way, it has given us something to live for in these sad, isolated times.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, August 18, 2020 - 6:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Actually, when I have listened to feeds, read posts,cetc, person after person in there has mentioned going home after a season and having ptsd, or avoiding people for long periods of time, so I don't think most of them just shake it off.

Kaysar talks of using it to rethink life choices and make changes, but also seemed to have isolated for a year.

At least this year more of the hg seem to have more family at home than when there were mostly young singles, or recent showmances.

So that is good.

I think the original concept of big brother, real world, road rules was much different, but then it they morphed into encouraged strife and more and more "game".

Not games with rules and honor, but games that encourage and sometimes reward ugliness.

I stopped watching real world before the last season, stopped watching the challenge so long ago, years..

Just a game.. Does not justify everything that goes on.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, August 18, 2020 - 6:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
And, just me, but though I live with a cat and no people, and have immune compromise to keep me vigilant, and there are certainly stressful and alarming things going on, I still find useful activities, educational opportunities, friends and support here on tvch, online, especially on Zoom and make a practice of thanking my doctor, postal workers, grocery store employees for being there, and helping over friends wherever I am able. I do not live for life feeds when they are toxic.

Scotty63

06-22-2013

Tuesday, August 18, 2020 - 6:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scotty63 a private message Print Post    
I have watched since season one and stopped watching last year and will stop watching again. When something does not give me enjoyment I say why bother? I am sorry but in recent years it is not gamesmanship. I think it could be more enjoyable by being a tv viewer only!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, August 18, 2020 - 6:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I hear you! I do enjoy our posters and keeping the chart up to date, so that keeps me coming back to BB.

Pschrfhd

05-22-2011

Tuesday, August 18, 2020 - 7:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pschrfhd a private message Print Post    
Sea - I hope you didn't take my post as meaning I have nothing else to live for but watching these dementos tear each other apart. That was meant more as a tongue-in-cheek reply reflecting how much so many of us were looking forward to the potential entertainment value this season seemed to promise.

Unfortunately, I guess I didn't make that clear by adding a LOL or something to my comment, but truly I'm not feeling sad or isolated, and I'm happy that you're not either.

Pschrfhd

05-22-2011

Tuesday, August 18, 2020 - 7:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pschrfhd a private message Print Post    
Scotty - for years I had no access to the feeds and only watched the TV shows, which was fine, but I always lurked here at TVCH too, to get an idea of what production was hiding behind the edits.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Tuesday, August 18, 2020 - 8:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
This year is like the world is. Someone tells a lie that they know is a lie and then a bunch of people believe them and get all worked up. It is depressing to see people being lied about that have no idea it's happening about them and they are being kind.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, August 19, 2020 - 12:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Good point, Pamy.

Govols

07-18-2005

Wednesday, August 19, 2020 - 1:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Govols a private message Print Post    
Dog eat dog world a lot of the time.

Now that the outside world is so much like BB, it deflates the enjoyment. It's too much negative energy. We are living it outside the house.

Scotty63

06-22-2013

Friday, August 21, 2020 - 12:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scotty63 a private message Print Post    
I know I am going to be in the minority here but I firmly believe you are who you are when it comes to the houseguests! If they are a scumbag in the house more than likely they are outside the house! Take Dani for instance, she is a very insecure woman . Chances are she has few if any women’s friends! People like Kaysar too nice to play Big Brother he doesn’t seem to have the killer instincts! I think Dan is a terrible person. I think it’s too easy for him to lie and manipulate. I will never buy it’s gameplay when it comes to the actions of the players. It’s ok to disagree but I went through all the seasons of BB and they casted a lot of terrible people not players people!

Ark

07-09-2001

Friday, August 21, 2020 - 6:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ark a private message Print Post    
I don't believe that at all. We've seen players year after year that hate each other in the house but outside the house they are friends. It's a game. I expect people to do things in the game (lie, backstab...) that they would never do in real life.

Keldogg

08-12-2005

Friday, August 21, 2020 - 6:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Keldogg a private message Print Post    
I think there is some truth in both views. As far as actual game play itself, I believe players may do things they wouldnt do in real life such as lie and backstab.

But I also believe outside of actual game moves, if you say racist or misogynistic behavior, thats your real self. If you continually say nasty personal stuff about people (I see you Dani and Nicole), thats who you really are.

Ark

07-09-2001

Friday, August 21, 2020 - 2:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ark a private message Print Post    
OK, I'm modifying to Keldogg's stance. I feel real life and game moves can be totally different. but agree that non-game behavior's are more likely the same inside and outside the house.

06-29-2002

Saturday, August 22, 2020 - 10:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Moderator a private message Print Post    
Posts moved here from the "You Are Who You Are!" thread. Please continue the discussion here.

Thank you. :-)

Saguaro

06-21-2005

Saturday, August 22, 2020 - 10:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Saguaro a private message Print Post    
Sea, I agree with you on the original concept a Big Brother. I don’t like how it’s changed into just game plotting the entire time. I think that’s one reason I love watching Australian Big Brother so much. The show is not consumed with trying to get people out of the house. Big Brother is an actual character in the show (though only heard), and plays pranks and interacts personally with the houseguests to make them do things for him. Also lots of unexpected twists. Still a entertaining show, without all the drama in the US version.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, August 22, 2020 - 10:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Good point. The idea of there being a "Big Brother" that gets the houseguests to do things has been all but lost in the U.S. version.

If there was a "Big Brother" to work for or against, it would bring all the houseguests together to work for a common goal and remove some of the ongoing constant bickering and dissension between houseguests. They would all have a common figure to focus on at least part of the time and that would make for a much more appealing show.

Kminfinity

06-29-2005

Saturday, August 22, 2020 - 11:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kminfinity a private message Print Post    
I think BB is more real life than game. Saying it's a game is a way to excuse the behavior that "wouldn't normally happen outside the House." I guess, if everyone was truly tough enough to agree in advance that anything goes and nothing is personal IRL, then it COULD be just a game.

I started watching BB1 precisely because the "game' gives such insight into social dynamics and communities and individuals. It often gets brought up by some of my students who know I watch.

During our class advisory, I always have kids discuss this poster I have. (Below) I think BBplayers may say their words and actions are just game but it's really hard to NOT be who you really are, and it's really hard not to BECOME what you think and say and do. I think some of the greats are great because they either CAN play as their authentic selves (imo - Janelle and Kaysar), or they are masters at playing a role (imo - Derrick and Dan) which are just their game personas.

Character Poster

Kearie

07-21-2005

Saturday, August 22, 2020 - 1:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kearie a private message Print Post    
I think they are different in the house for one simple reason. $500,000.

Govols

07-18-2005

Saturday, August 22, 2020 - 3:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Govols a private message Print Post    
Tooms @Tooms_BB · 11h (from tweets)
Day: I was talking to him (Kaysar) today.
Kevin: He's crying to get sympathy votes. Talkin about race shit, like..
D: He meant it...he was crying. Janelle was like...nothing.
K: She says she never cries though.
D: She's also Make America Great, so there's that.

It's politics in the house. Knew it would be.

Was hoping for a good season...but it's the worst. Only 2 people are gone and it's a snooze fest.

Wally

08-13-2011

Sunday, August 23, 2020 - 2:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wally a private message Print Post    
the problem with BB TV show continually goes back to casting as it’s pretty predictable that if you cast a majority of young alpha (mostly white) guys & gals, then naturally most of them will team up in alliances, bromances & showmances & friendships, gaining immediate majorities in the game, leaving the rest of the house (The Other People, according to Kent; T.O.P. for short ;) … leaving the rest of the house 3 steps behind before they figure out there’s a (mostly white) majority alliance …

the (mostly white) majority alliance tends to dominate in HoH & veto competitions just by virtue of athletic youngsters competitive natures and a lot of time by sheer luck … they also tend to be less sympathetic as characters to root for with basic personalities, experiences, less intellect, less reflection, just a winner’s mantra … meanwhile the figurative & literal minorities of the house (mostly the colored, the old, the fugly, the queer, the old, the intellectual, the nice, the awkward, the misfits) get wiped out incrementally … (“when they came for the gypsies, we didn’t do anything because we were not gypsies …”)

If nothing else, BB starkly illustrates what can happen socio-politically and in effect economically when a certain demographic dominates over hapless unorganized minorities …

So there are social-political lessons … just as Wheel of Fortune sometimes makes us know that most of us would naturally prefer an equitable equal-paying society instead of one person winning big and the others winning nothing …

Hence, if BB would cast more interesting diverse people (and not minority-casting just for its own sake, maximize that option and make the casted minority interesting & sensible too, in addition to being diverse) …

(hate to say it, but often as a BB viewer I am underwhelmed by some of the minority casting as well, ie, who happen to be equally unlikable as their non-minority counterparts)

It was sad & somewhat schadenfraude-ish watching Julie Chen Moonves reveal to Nicole A. just how wrong and terrible the evicted nerd had been to Janelle & Kayser (who were two of her only actual allies) … and how as the op-ed article points out, that totally stemmed from Kevin’s terrible read on the situation as he influenced Nicole A. to turn on her only allies Janell & Kayser …

(sorry, but Kevin kind of grosses me out for some reason; maybe because he gets all snivel-ly when he's begging for mercy)

Kayser’s not long for this game and I don’t think he cares too much at this point. He knows he probably should’ve stayed home with his family instead of risking catching virus from these other cast members, no matter how sweet or sour they may be …

sorry, BB, it's just not that exciting watching a bunch of overdogs run over the rest of the house on their way to an overdog victory ... it's like watching the football team kick the marching band's ass in softball or something ... there's nothing to root for there, unless yer a sado-masochist ...

Wally

08-13-2011

Sunday, August 23, 2020 - 2:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wally a private message Print Post    
p.s. altho I marvel that there was a season such as when Jun & Allie were able to roast a whole house because the guys were so stupid that season, haha

Hwest

07-01-2011

Sunday, August 23, 2020 - 8:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hwest a private message Print Post    
Five star post Wally. Best of the casting will be gone soon (J/K) and it is likely we will never see them play again. So I am just going to enjoy while I can.

Sweetshell

08-02-2018

Sunday, August 23, 2020 - 8:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sweetshell a private message Print Post    
With the latest Nicole whining and with recent Dani whining, I have decided to drop the live feeds.

I will continue to watch, though I haven't yet watched the last two episodes, and I will follow the live feed thread. I don't enjoy the feeds, mostly boring.

I am not enthused, especially with the way Janie and Kaysar are being treated. Hoping they get rid of Dani and Nicole soon.

The competitions are way out of balance. Strong young men are given too much advantage. I still like Tyler but I can't stand Cody or Memphis (almost called him Phoenix!). Enzo is funny but shouldn't win. Kevin is disappointing as is Da'Vonne. I would be interest if Bay does better, but I doubt it.

Even with the Rona, I'm not really feeling this season.

Is it a game? Yes. Is it entertaining? Not really

Jade2

07-12-2012

Sunday, August 23, 2020 - 9:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jade2 a private message Print Post    
Great Points Wally

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Sunday, August 23, 2020 - 11:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I agree. The seasons tend to be fairly predictable for those reasons. Then you get the occasional meeting, alliance and friendship between people from different backgrounds (like Janelle and Kaysar) and that is enjoyable and stands out as something different and special. But it is rare and it's almost impossible for them to win. Which ends up frustrating a lot of viewers, season after season.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Sunday, August 23, 2020 - 5:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Kmin, I have that quote on my office wall :-)

Kminfinity

06-29-2005

Tuesday, August 25, 2020 - 5:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kminfinity a private message Print Post    

Sunnyday

08-07-2014

Wednesday, August 26, 2020 - 2:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunnyday a private message Print Post    
Rob of RHAP had what I thought was right on. He said they cast to many people they have the luxury of forming big alliances to pick off the underdogs. If you shorten the season and only cast 12 people they would have to start playing earlier. They wouldn't have the ability to wait till 5 or 6 underdogs to go before they start eating each other.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Insert HG Name

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: