TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 29, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Big Brother : USA 2018: General Discussion: Additional thoughts on this season, the state of the game as a whole, the future without Julie Chen Moonves (who would make a good host?), what made this season a good/great? one ... second U.S. Celebrity version should be good again !: Archive through September 29, 2018 users admin

Wally

08-13-2011

Friday, September 28, 2018 - 4:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wally a private message Print Post    
Everyone, please share your thoughts regarding this season, the state of the show/game as a whole and its possible future as a game, also how will the broadcast show be w/out o.g. host Julie Chen Moonves, and whom might be a good host (Marissa? j/k) (Ross?) (effing Dr. Will?!)

And if season one was any indication (fun season, wasn't it? most them celebs came to play!), heck, Celebrity BB second season should be pretty good. (any idea who is gonna be on it? or when they'll announce who?)

OK, my thoughts regarding this season: I thought Kaycee squandered her chance to win the game when she chose to keep Tyler, so it's amazing she beat the best player in the game w/out having to evict him.

During Q&A, I further thought awkward Kaycee's three peat response about friendships and loyalty and caring weren't going to be enough against Tyler's (sort of not greatly explained by him to the fullest extent) myriad of interpersonal gaming machinations. But evidently it was enough to win it for her.

After seeing her edge out Tyler for the win, pretty sure Kaycee would've trounced JC had that been the matchup instead.

(Who the hell would've voted for JC? Fessy?)

As for the state of the game, well, you see how this season's jury respected the loyalty/friendly aspect of Kaycee's game more than the lie to everyone/hustle aspect of Tyler's game (both were comp beasts).

I guess it all hinged on Sam feeling hurt by Tyler and not by Kaycee.

As for the future of BB the show w/out Julie Chen in the picture, I'll miss her, but she actually never really wanted the gig. At the time when the network kinda coaxed Chen into hosting this new weird reality competition show, she initially resisted the pitch because she fancied herself a serious broadcast news journalist.

In the years that followed, Julie Chen has become synonymous w/the BB brand and integral to its broadcast success.

As well, Julie's presence on BB and furthermore her spot on the women's daytime panel talkshow The Talk, was pioneering for Asian-Americans and everyone else to see an Asian in such prominent television shows.

Les' philandering and the effect on Julie is just another example of men effing up but their wives/women having to pay the price for it. But then again, stepping away from the franchise at its recent height is a good way to get out. and spending more time with family will be good for her, I hope.

Who do you think would be a good host(s) to replace her?

Kathy Griffin ! :D

Wally

08-13-2011

Friday, September 28, 2018 - 4:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wally a private message Print Post    
also, what made this a good season, well, you can identify all the elements that you enjoyed, but lemme say, unlike some previous seasons, I never felt the season became an irredeemable bitter pill nor did I ever stopp caring about the season anymore (as has happened in previous, when all yer faves get evicted, or the winners are detestable)

... here's an interesting thing: by the time Hayleigh was on her way out, signaling the end of the opposition (I wasn't a Level 6 fan; I misguided wanted the idiot side to win because underdog-ness), by the time the OP was decimated, by then I was already falling for Kaycee as someone I genuinely wanted to win the game instead of any previous nebulous rooting interests ...

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, September 28, 2018 - 8:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
If Kathy Griffin became the host I would never watch Big Brother again - and I am a "from the very start" viewer. I prefer never to see her face again.

Lardbrick

01-16-2006

Friday, September 28, 2018 - 9:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lardbrick a private message Print Post    
I'm with you Roxip.

I would watch if Ross or Marissa were host but would have to mute while Marissa talked and just do closed captioning.

Would love Dr Will. He is very calm and could be funny.

However, I agree with previous HGs who expressed concern that the game is getting away from its' original premise and it's getting harder to find a hero when you know the votes are based on hate instead of respect for the game. Maybe a revamp of the game will come with a new host.

Lazylu

04-09-2010

Friday, September 28, 2018 - 9:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lazylu a private message Print Post    
I would not watch the show if Kathy Griffin was on it. I quit watching Anderson Cooper's New Years Eve show because of her.

Starr

07-09-2005

Friday, September 28, 2018 - 9:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Starr a private message Print Post    
》I guess it all hinged on Sam feeling hurt by Tyler and not by Kaycee. 

I agree. And in Tyler's speech, he said his final 2 with Sam was "a wild card." I believe that was when he lost her vote. I believe she took that personally (and not game-wise) even tho she claims to have decided on Kaycee long ago...

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, September 28, 2018 - 9:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It's a complex game. Juries in different seasons end up voting for different reasons all based on the juror's individual preferences and how that fits into the mix and interaction of the game. There is no one way to win Big Brother.

I hope BB continues but I'm not particularly sorry to see Julie leave. I never thought she was very enthusiastic or knowledgeable about the game. Her robotic presentation became a joke but really it was bad.

Jodikay39

07-19-2010

Friday, September 28, 2018 - 9:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jodikay39 a private message Print Post    
I don't know if this has been brought up, but I also thought Tyler messed up when he responded to Bayleigh, saying he needed an "enemy" in the house, so people would think he wasn't so popular, or words to that effect. I thought that was total B.S. and didn't know why he said that. He didn't want or like that confrontation at all. He should have just apologized (whether he meant it or not), and moved on. By the jury conversation, I thought Bayleigh was going to vote for Tyler, so I wondered if that made her change her mind.

And then I had also mentioned to my sons about Kaycee's answer all being the same, and both boys go simultaneously that the questions were the same! lol Not exactly but they felt it lead to the same answer. I think she saved herself a bit on their last appeal when she remembered to bring up that she was loyal. She got nervous and almost forgot.

Calimom3

07-12-2007

Friday, September 28, 2018 - 10:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calimom3 a private message Print Post    
Tyler should have just told Bayleigh she needed to go because she had the Power App and she had a few people she was close to, along with being a competion winner (even if some of that is exaggeration) her ego needs to be fed, she would have a better taste in her mouth from compliments (tastes better than BLOOD!) Tyler should have reminded them all they were the ones who came to him with a F2 offer, he only initiated ONE F2 with Kaycee, and he kept THAT deal! He left out a lot of his cleverness/skill/strategy. I wish they would let them write down their important points for their speech...

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, September 28, 2018 - 11:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Tyler says that they were so rushed that he didn't get a chance to lay out the finer points of his game...and that he was so nervous that he probably wouldn't have remembered them anyway!

I honestly can't argue with Kaycee winning because both she and Tyler were equally deserving. I think Tyler had a harder path because he was truly more up front and had to make more visible choices than Kaycee but that is just how the game turned out. It made for a great season!

Mitch300

06-02-2011

Friday, September 28, 2018 - 11:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mitch300 a private message Print Post    
Their's two Factors in BB that you have to do well in. The 1st is it helps if you can win Comps. The 2nd is Jury management. I think Sam felt betrayed by Tyler and decided to vote for Kaycee. Just like in Survivor, Russell Hands outwitted and out played everybody. However, he was an A hole and that is why he didn't win. People take these games personnel.

Gbcole

09-20-2011

Friday, September 28, 2018 - 11:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gbcole a private message Print Post    
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAgJHQobFVg

Bayleigh had a miscarriage in the jury house.

Mamapors

07-29-2004

Friday, September 28, 2018 - 11:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamapors a private message Print Post    
Just came to post that. Just wow.

Ark

07-09-2001

Friday, September 28, 2018 - 11:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ark a private message Print Post    
Ouch, I see what you're saying Mitch but comparing Tyler to Russell is a bit harsh. Everybody in there loved Tyler until they got the boot. No one ever loved Russell.

If the Swaggy/Bayleigh announcement is true then I'm sad for them. Can't say that I thought having a baby while neither is gainfully employed was a good idea though.

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Friday, September 28, 2018 - 11:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
First, I think this was the BEST season, ever. I really had no intentions of watching this season, the last couple have been so bad, however, it was constantly entertaining, I laughed like crazy and soon I was hooked.

On the winner, I would have been happy with either winner, and I do think the whole thing hinged on Sam's hurt feelings. BUT that's who Sam was and Tyler knew that, he could have played more to her neediness but instead was honest and it cost him the game.

On the other hand, he won AF so it worked out well. 3 showmaces, 2 going on, 1 engagement...a pretty romantic year. (I'm not so sure the engagement will pan out, though. Something tells me that Bayleigh is a piece of work IRL)

As for the next host, if it IS Kathy Griffin I'll never watch again. I also don't want to see Rachel Reilly or Janelle neither do I want to listen to Ross or Marissa. I think Jeff of Jeff and Jordan would make a great host though.

Things I'd like to see change:
Nominations. 1 nomination by HOH and 1 nomination by America's vote.
No more Haves and Have Nots.
More competitions, let them earn things again like the backyard, pool, food, etc.
More punishment Noms....if you sing you get nominated, F bomb nominations (can people not speak without them?)
Hacker comps were great, kept things hopping
I'd keep those.

Starr

07-09-2005

Friday, September 28, 2018 - 12:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Starr a private message Print Post    
I miss the old show with Jeff and the evictee. I know there's the new Off the Block with Ross and Marissa but it's on Facebook. I don't have (nor want) Facebook. I did see two (plus the backyard interviews) only because someone was kind enough to post a link. I hope next year, they put those back on the CBS page!!

Boberg

10-04-2002

Friday, September 28, 2018 - 12:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Boberg a private message Print Post    
I would NEVER watch a show with KG.

My final thoughts: Before Angela joined the jury, I believe many of the members planned to vote for Tyler to win, especially Haliegh/Fessy….but I believe when Angela got with the jury members it became so obvious she was pushing for them to vote for Tyler...I believe the dislike of Angela changed a couple of votes. This was their way of dumping on Angela, someone most of them felt was arrogant and full of herself. JMHO

I am very happy with the winner. Kaycee did a great job!

Ark

07-09-2001

Friday, September 28, 2018 - 1:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ark a private message Print Post    
Starr, if you are still interested in the interviews you can find them on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=off+the+block+with+ross+and+marissa

Starr

07-09-2005

Friday, September 28, 2018 - 1:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Starr a private message Print Post    
Thanks Ark! 🙂

Jodikay39

07-19-2010

Friday, September 28, 2018 - 5:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jodikay39 a private message Print Post    
You could be right boberg, good point.

Firebird05

08-24-2001

Friday, September 28, 2018 - 7:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Firebird05 a private message Print Post    
I loved this season. Lots of good players. Some got to big headed to fast and didn’t play smart.
It’s a 3 month game you don’t win day one.
Kaycee played well, making friends, getting into a good alliance.
Tyler would have won had he not totally blown his speech.
Where I think he went wrong. Addressing Bay, outing his power ap.
What I think he should have said. Only two people can sit in these chairs at final two. I wanted to be one of them.
To those ends each one of you had to go out. I went to who I thought the house was going to put out.
I did not always agree to the one who walked out but I was happy it wasn’t me.
That’s it that’s all.

As for what’s next. I don’t see KG as having anything to do with B.B. ever. I don’t think she would be a good choice.
If someone does replace Julie I would want someone who has been in the house but can also be objective and non biased.
My pick would be my hunny bunny. 😁

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, September 28, 2018 - 8:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Well Kathy did come into the house and was meaner than zingbot, who came in with her, so she is associated, unfortunately but I think that would be a super polarizing choice for host.

I wasn't aware that Julie wasn't hosting next season and haven't found anything online saying she wasn't, just places saying she is.

Marissa would be just horrible. She is a terrible interviewer and she was a terrible interviewer years ago for The Talk and was annoying on Celebrity BB, the reason that was the ONLY season ever when I didn't get feeds.

The interviews were ruined by Marissa's constant talking over everyone, including Ross. It isn't cute! It isn't about you!

Anyway I hope Julie stays.

I think there are multiple ways that Tyler lost the vote, including Angela lobbying for him, but more because of a few words .. three instances where Tyler just used the wrong words to describe his game play. Bayleigh.. needing an enemy on the jury.. no time to say she already was obviously an enemy after that screeching session, Sam being called a wildcard, though I think Sam was already pissed that she was booted instead of JC, and Scottie when he heard that Tyler claimed to be best friends with Scottie hoping Scottie would be nominated instead of one of Level 6.

Any one of those would have made the difference, but all three.. insurmountable odds.

Personally I would have voted for Tyler but it wouldn't be a no-brainer or a slam dunk. I love Kaycee and she was fierce and loyal but Tyler was strong for the long haul, all season long.

I am happy for both of them. it was a good end.

I want more on the feeds, like more comps! If I had to pay a bit extra to get them, fine.

I would like to see them have more yard time or at least get what the first season of celebrity BB got, which was a small area to be outside. I think for some people this would make for a more bearable season.

Personally I'd be fine with no have nots.. just punish blatant rule breakers (talking to YOU, JC). Keep it up and you will lose perks.. Alcohol or POP goodies or trending apps or.. fan favorite eligibility. If it is really bad, penalty nomination.

Go back to having all viewer interaction from CBS site online. No twitter, facebook, etc. And put the interviews back on the CBS site and on feeds!

I would like to see rules enforced. Maybe rule breaking should be the only way to be on slop.

I would love to see food comps for GOOD stuff again.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, September 29, 2018 - 8:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Kathy Griffin is way too political I'm not sure middle America would accept her. I love Ross, he'd be an excellent host for Big Brother.

Missyb

07-28-2004

Saturday, September 29, 2018 - 8:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Missyb a private message Print Post    
I like Ross as the host ( If Julie Chen Moonves is not coming back). I like that he loves the game, knows the game, ask game pertinent questions, has played the game, understands that not always the best player wins, etc.
I am not sure how America at large would accept him as the new face of Big Brother.
As a fan, watcher from season one, I would love him.
I don't know what Kathy Griffin would add to the show. Can't think of a thing.

Bidasea

08-04-2005

Saturday, September 29, 2018 - 8:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bidasea a private message Print Post    
I agree with everything Seamonkey wrote..Thanks for all of your posts this season.