TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
BB - The Social Experiment

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Big Brother : USA 2018: General Discussion: BB - The Social Experiment users admin

Kminfinity

06-29-2005

Sunday, September 16, 2018 - 11:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kminfinity a private message Print Post    
The game reveal a lot about our culture, hence why we wander Off-topic so often in the live feed
thread. So this is the place to look at the impact of bias and perception, including - especially! - fan bias.

I question the identification of Angela as a mean girl. This article is about one of the top computer scientist/mathematicians today - Lenore Blum, of CMU.

The article is one of many to report on her resignation from the CMU faculty and examines the level of sexism that continues to play out for all women in so many arenas.

https://simons.berkeley.edu/people/lenore-blum

https://www.nextpittsburgh.com/features/lenore-blum-speaks-out-about-sexism-in-the-workplace/

Ark

07-09-2001

Sunday, September 16, 2018 - 12:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ark a private message Print Post    
Very interesting article Kminfinity and I think that any woman that has been in the work force gets exactly with Ms Blum is coming from. I thank god every day that I faced very little sexual harassment but sexism in the work place is alive and well and carrys over into personal relationships also.

In the real world Brett was mean and rude to Rockstar but in the BB game most people thought it was funny, myself included. I don't see viewers cutting Angela the same slack that they gave Brett. I only heard that Brett's actions were game play even when he was only interacting with L6 and making fun of how stupid RS was. Angela hasn't done anything close to that and they label her as condescending or mean. We can't blame all of the sexism in the work place on men because we can see from this example alone and the different fan reaction that women are responsible for sexism against other women also.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, September 16, 2018 - 1:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I think some can get away with mean because they give it an edge of humor.

Angela doesn't seem to have that knack.

But taken at face value, I don't think anything she has said is any more or less worse than what others have said. It's all just venting. IMO.

Earthmother

07-13-2002

Sunday, September 16, 2018 - 1:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Earthmother a private message Print Post    
I do agree that many times women's own worst enemy are other women. Thank goodness our society is changing and more women are gaining strength, but too many have a different standard for women than they do for men. Angela is a sweet girl, and in this venue serious about her job to win. She is willing to be cutthroat and for many isn't "lady like". These old fashioned ideas about a woman's place are still very much buried in the deep recesses of our brains. Most of us are older and can see many good changes, but also bitter old stereotypes of how nice girls behave. She is a tough cookie and a fierce competitor, but she has a sweet heart and it does bother her when others are feeling pain. She is far from the cold hearted maven some people have made her out to be.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Sunday, September 16, 2018 - 1:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
I think with Angela, she hardly ever speaks. So when something comes out of her mouth that is considered mean, there's no warning before hand and no context. It comes as a shock and makes you wonder what is going on in her brain.

With Brett, a lot of the tweets that are posted here have a "Things Brett says" with it. He is constantly talking and you can tell he is joking or just running his mouth.

I wasn't watching feeds when RS was in the house so I can't comment on her. But I do agree that in general on bb, the women are always judged harsher then the men. If Angela was a man, would I be saying the same thing? I don't know. I might think "still waters run deep" or I might get a creepy vibe. And creepy vibes I hardly ever get from a woman.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, September 16, 2018 - 1:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I might say gently, just read all the comments about the BB women at TVCH...there are many many many of them that aren't exactly kind.

So, it's always a little ironic to me that people get so mean about seeing someone be mean. If that makes any sense.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Sunday, September 16, 2018 - 1:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Earthmother, I agree with your post.

Kminfinity

06-29-2005

Sunday, September 16, 2018 - 1:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kminfinity a private message Print Post    
I agree Karuuna. Part of what I find interesting about BB is the fan connection, and what that shows about our society.

I'm a member of a Survivor group that does "edgic." For those unfamiliar, it's the non-spoiler analysis of the show's editing and logic to figure out the winner based on the way the show tells the story. There is a clearly identified way women are edited on the show, especially winners who are social/strategic winners as opposed to comp beast type winners.

This season of BB is especially cool to me because that who comp beast factor is NOT Tyler's alone, so it will be fun to see (Given an F2 of some combo of Kaytylangela) how the the F2 present their game and how the jury responds.

Ark

07-09-2001

Sunday, September 16, 2018 - 2:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ark a private message Print Post    
As far as the social experiment of BB goes, I think WE are the experiment. We aren't locked in a house with strangers that are trying to take us out. We aren't shut off from our loved ones & support system. Yet we seem to harshly judge the ones that are in that situation.

Queenfish

07-19-2006

Sunday, September 16, 2018 - 3:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Queenfish a private message Print Post    
I'm increasingly reminded, by this annual experience, that life is much about perception. Our view, from the outside of the house vs. their view from inside the house, are many times, completely different perceptions.

Mitch300

06-02-2011

Monday, September 17, 2018 - 10:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mitch300 a private message Print Post    
Just glancing thru the threads, and I can be wrong. However, it seems to me a lot of viewers like Tyler because he is cute. I think Angela is cute. However I still don't like her and am rooting against her.Looks should not sway someone wether they are rooting for them or not.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, September 17, 2018 - 10:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Even in Hollyweird these stereotypes still exist...a man can be a diva on set and a total d-bag and nobody comments on it...but a strong actress gets called the "B" word for sticking up for herself.

Kminfinity

06-29-2005

Monday, September 17, 2018 - 1:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kminfinity a private message Print Post    
I agree Roxi - that's the key thing about Angela I have noticed.

Ark I totally agree! What's really interesting to me is that the US BB in season one was so different and WE voted to eliminate - I think they decided "America" wasn't being fair.

I have to say that imo over time, overall, and in general - the house guests themselves seem much more tolerant of differences. There have been exceptions.

Mitch I do agree "cute" people get benefits and passes that others don't, both male and female. But I became a Tyler fan when I saw how he put the game aside when Sam was the robot and had such a heartfelt bonding with her. He continues to jeopardize his game for his heart (cough cough ANGELA) and while I am totally fine with gamebot focus and in-game ruthlessness, I do like to see people who struggle with that aspect.

In fact, a key element for me is always to watch how a group of people in a season get sucked into the humanity of the game and can't let their heads rule their hearts. A prime example was Cody and Derrick. I will always totally respect that kind of gameplay, though I wonder what decision i would make.. It's a game, dump my ride-or-die if I have to...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Insert HG Name

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: