TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 14, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Big Brother : USA 2018: General Discussion: Outside the House News: Archive through September 14, 2018 users admin

Grooch

06-16-2006

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 4:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Hey, Lmammon!!!

I have the zuchinni bread in the oven. I just looked at my mother's recipe. Was I supposed to peel the zuchinni?

Lol!

Chippy

08-16-2007

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 5:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chippy a private message Print Post    
So Les Moonves ruined Janice Jackson? And she let him? And we never heard a word about it? And Julie was complicit or guilty by association? See why I just can’t with the piling on of accusations? When six women “came forward” and nothing much happened to him, they found six more. Or seven. Whatever. Political motives have already been mentioned... there’s a long list of others I’m sure considering anyone in such positions for decades. And of course, there’s the egos that go with powerful men as well as the other not so flattering Y-chromosome related antics.

But, let’s not act like women don’t have their own antics. Seems okay to use our feminine attributes when it suits. These stories in the news are not about the real victims of real abuse for the most part. I said for the most part. And I’m not saying sexual assault isn’t real or shouldn’t be addressed. But this so called movement IMHO has not helped our cause in the least. It’s made us into pitiful victims who were too intimated or afraid to speak up for years well after it couldn’t hurt them anymore. And for all those years, it likely continued while the silence did too.

Who’s next? Be honest. It’s becoming white noise.

Queenfish

07-19-2006

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 6:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Queenfish a private message Print Post    
Well put chippy

Smevic

08-07-2008

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 6:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Smevic a private message Print Post    
Moonves, like Weinstein, has done more than physically assault women who finally stood up and said #MeToo...they have created pervasively misogynistic, intolerant, gender biased work places. By all reports they both have engaged in the practice of "black balling" women either because they refused them or because they just didn't want women in power. They don't like the women's movement and they'll do whatever they can to put women in their place.

I'm curious though...Julie has said she was pressured into getting her eyes done to make her more appealing to a broader market and hated having to make that decision. I think she got them done after she met her dreamboat, Leslie...Who was putting the pressure on her...for real?

Chippy

08-16-2007

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 6:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chippy a private message Print Post    
Sure, that all could be true. Or not. Does that mean all the powerful women in his orbit just said yes and got to where they are today. Does that mean all his accusers are righteously stepping forward? I have no idea and neither do any of us.

Of course I used to believe in the death penalty until I realized people really are wrongly convicted. Nowadays all it takes is group accusation. Bam. Ruined. I don’t know. Gets me to wondering where it’s all headed. Unintended consequences are already happening. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Dee

08-08-2000

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 6:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dee a private message Print Post    
I would just suggest reading the full piece by Rowan before deciding. (Perhaps you have and still feel the way you do, IDK).
I'm so glad I subscribed to The New Yorker magazine. Some of the articles are very long (such as by Farrow) and it's well worth reading.

Smevic

08-07-2008

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 6:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Smevic a private message Print Post    
Anything is possible...the longer I live, the more I know that to be true. I also know people may embellish their stories or have misinterpretations, even mal intent. If the truth is somewhere in the middle it does not look good for Les and the rest if their governing boards don't like the look of the stories being told. Sometimes, power people get a break and get their way whether they are doctors like Nassar, teachers like Latourno, news personalities like Lauer or Presidents like...I could name a few.

I guess, for me, in Les and Harvey's cases the pain of the accusers trumps the pain of the millionaires being exposed...if even one story is true...or even one woman is safer in her workplace.

Chippy

08-16-2007

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 7:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chippy a private message Print Post    
If one believes these men are as horrid as they appear to be in the accounts held as gospel truth, how do you reconcile the victims that certainly must have been added in the years of silence? How do you reconcile choices made for personal gain and silence even when said accuser could not possible do you further harm? I can’t. Maybe that’ll change but for now, I find no heroes in the movement. And no parallels to everyday people.

Smevic

08-07-2008

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 7:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Smevic a private message Print Post    
I guess I can believe some of the stories because I do see parallels to the real world I have lived in.

Smevic

08-07-2008

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 7:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Smevic a private message Print Post    
And No, I don't think the victims who held their stories are even a little bit to blame for those who came after them...it's very unfortunate, however, the perpetrators are the only ones at blame.

Patty9755

07-18-2006

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 9:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Patty9755 a private message Print Post    
Spot on, Chippy!!

Dee

08-08-2000

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 10:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dee a private message Print Post    
I believe the women even if they waited for many years before telling what happened to them. What happened to them could easily take that long to talk about it (if they did); without #MeToo, I doubt anyone who did speak up would have done so. Being assaulted is such a shock to your system that it may take years to speak up or, if not, to find peace within. (Depression, PTSD, having loved ones doubt you or blame you isn't unusual). If not for some courageous women, he might still be "taking meetings" in his robe in a hotel.

It looks as though Moonves was in the same league as Weinstein. Les was the head of a network with immense power in Hollywood/New York.(His power extended to other networks). Can you imagine working in an industry for years and then being blackballed because you said no to having a man's tongue down your throat or his hand up your skirt? Working for years just to get a meeting with one of these powerful men and finding out you got the meet because of your beauty, breast size or butt size? Ileana Douglas believes she was blackballed after she said no to Moonves after he sexually attacked her. I remember when Douglas was around on TV and in movies and she was very good. I didn't notice when she was gone because I thought she was on Broadway or on a TV show that I didn't watch. When she said what happened to her, I felt so sorry. She was this close and then gone.

When it's your word against a Les Moonves or a Harvey Weinstein, chances were your word wasn't worth much. Thanks to #MeToo, speaking up is happening much more frequently than any time in our history and it's been effective.

At one time, I thought if the accusers were being truthful, let them take lie detector tests. I've since come to my senses, lol & changed. Now, I think let people who are accused take those tests if they are being truthful. They don't have to, of course. I just don't think it's up to the accusers.

What I've written (sorry for the novel) has been about the entertainment industry but it's in every industry.

Smevic

08-07-2008

Thursday, September 13, 2018 - 6:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Smevic a private message Print Post    
Dee, it is in every industry and economic class...someone is always in a position of power over another...and I have to say it's not always men preying on women it may be women preying on men, women preying on women and men preying on men. Yes, lie detector tests for all of the accused...they like them in their TV shows and movies.

Rosem4243

06-27-2005

Thursday, September 13, 2018 - 7:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosem4243 a private message Print Post    
Dee, what a perfect post - I agree with every word of it. Well done!

Smevic, it is true that it happens the other way around as well. People should just not force themselves on other people! It's so simple, really.

Smevic

08-07-2008

Thursday, September 13, 2018 - 7:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Smevic a private message Print Post    
It's like we are going back in time...remember the "No means No" campaign back in the, I wanna say 80's, and here we are in the same place. There are many battles already won which it seems we will have to fight again and again.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, September 13, 2018 - 8:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I believe the women even if they waited for many years before telling what happened to them.

I agree that the VAST majority of women that come forward should be heard, and likely have important stories to tell.

That said, the psychological data prove that memory is often unreliable. People's perceptions of things color how they remember them.

So, while listening and reviewing, we need to also be cautious. That's why I think a story like he put his hand on my waist (during a photo op) and squeezed twice ought NOT to be treated with the same outrage as threatening someone to perform sex or they will lose their job!

We do need an awakening in this country of not only how women are treated, but minorities, and disabled and the homeless too. I would note there is an awful lot of disrespect for men in our society as well!

Kindness and compassion and respect ought to be the ruling guide in all our interactions.

Chippy

08-16-2007

Thursday, September 13, 2018 - 7:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chippy a private message Print Post    
All interesting takes on the topic.

Me? I’m worried for the future. It seems like we’re living in a nonstop ME moment and there is so little civility and it’s so easy to become an anonymous douchebag in the limitless depths of social media.

It seemed so easy to ruin lifelong achievement, hard work, reputation, families... and actually it was more us too than me too. It took some piling on to get everyone lined up for the kill. And does it bother you at all than there was never a presentation of the other side? Sure, there were demials but they weren’t considered credible. Then there were a very few brave souls who dared defend the accused or even opine they never saw such behavior but they got quick twitter lashings and fell in line. Ironically, many felt compelled I’m sure to follow the party line or risk their own consequences. Wasn’t that what we were railing against to start with?

Lives were scrutinized under microscopes and over decades by those with a mission. I wonder how many could survive that unscathed in the land of the rich and famous. And of course Gloria Allred et al stood at the ready.

I want justice for all, I really do. This doesn’t seem all that just.

I dunno. A lot of it makes me want to shower.

Gusmonster

06-01-2005

Thursday, September 13, 2018 - 8:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gusmonster a private message Print Post    
I want justice too, Chippy. If someone committed assault they should be punished. After they have been convicted in a court of law.

Rosem4243

06-27-2005

Friday, September 14, 2018 - 7:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosem4243 a private message Print Post    
Personally, I hope that Julie Chen Moonves and her disgusting husband can now fade into oblivion, hoping Les doesn't get his $100M, but he probably will.

I think BB has actually jumped the shark, it's so repetitive and formulaic, and it's finally losing its appeal to me. I've skipped more shows this season than any before, and this was a pretty good season!

Any idiot could do Julie's job - how hard is it to read cue cards? She doesn't even watch the live feed, or remember the names of the HG! I would not be sad if BB ended - the only thing I'd miss is TVCH - but there are other threads here, so no big whoop.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Friday, September 14, 2018 - 7:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I like Julie.

She is under a lot of stress but still showed up.

I like the way she supported her marriage by using her last name.

She has a son to think of.

Missyb

07-28-2004

Friday, September 14, 2018 - 8:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Missyb a private message Print Post    
https://ew.com/tv/2018/09/14/big-brother-haleigh-broucher-interview-faysal/

Bretts exist interview is available from this link too

Cathie

08-16-2000

Friday, September 14, 2018 - 10:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cathie a private message Print Post    
Oh, my, Missyb! Per the interviews Haleigh is rooting for JC and Brett is rooting for Sam. I am anxious to see what they tell Ross and Marissa.

Reader234

08-13-2000

Friday, September 14, 2018 - 10:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
Another interesting # moment from Linda Bloodswort-Thomason
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/designing-women-creator-les-moonves-not-all-harassment-is-sexual-1142448

I always loved Designing Women, and wondered why she never wrote other series...

Smevic

08-07-2008

Friday, September 14, 2018 - 11:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Smevic a private message Print Post    
Reader, I know that Linda Bloodworth-Thomason and her husband were close with the Clintons and she is very outspoken, I wonder if any of that played into his dislike of her regardless her talent as a writer and producer. Sad

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, September 14, 2018 - 11:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Why would her affiliation with the Clintons have anything to do with his dislike of her?