TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 12, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Big Brother : USA 2018: General Discussion: Outside the House News: Archive through September 12, 2018 users admin

Firebird05

08-24-2001

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 - 9:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Firebird05 a private message Print Post    
JMM. Thanks for posting that. I do remember but seeing it again made me cry. I wonder what Monica is doing now.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 - 9:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Maybe we need another thread for outside the house except the Les Moonves discussion, which isn't really about BB20 specific outside the house (even though of course it is about the potential fate of BB20.

I did see a post elsewhere that cited another country where their Big Brother was cancelled, but other networks vied to scoop it up, so if it isn't on CBS we can hope it will be somewhere.

As for the people in the house currently, Angela's parents and Tyler's friends and his vehicle are in the evac zone and depending on the course and speed of the storms, Sam's area inland in Virginia could have flooding. Hopefully her little trailer will be ok.

Maineiac

08-24-2009

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 5:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maineiac a private message Print Post    
I disagree that Al Franken did nothing. What he's been accused of is sexual assault. And lets not forget several other women came out with accusations against him. How is this any different then others that have been accused of sexual assault. This sounds like victim blaming and I remember the first woman to accuse Franken received a lot of backlash and criticism.(victim shaming) There is such hypocrisy and division in this country.

I agree with Chippy. It's a slippery slope.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 6:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
And we have Trump.

Yes, a slippery slope.

Rosem4243

06-27-2005

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 6:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosem4243 a private message Print Post    
Here's an article from Variety discussing Julie's future at CBS:

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/julie-chen-leslie-moonves-future-cbs-talk-big-brother-1202937141/

I agree that to have her return to The Talk would be extremely awkward - The ladies of the Talk want the investigation into Moonves made public, CBS doesn't want to do that - and the ladies WILL discuss it, among other things that will involve Julie's personal life.

BB is different, though, and I guess she could remain as host if it's renewed. Time will tell.

Iluvreality

05-08-2011

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 7:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Iluvreality a private message Print Post    
I am sure Julie is not surprised at her husband’s actions. Wasn’t he married when they started their affair?

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 9:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
What he's been accused of is sexual assault. And lets not forget several other women came out with accusations against him.

Did you read the accusations? He hugged them and occasionally brushed a place that was inappropriate. That was it. That is NOT sexual assault. That is trying to take photos with HUNDREDS of people at a sitting and getting them all through the line. He's taken thousands of photographs and a handful of women complained... about an accidental touch.

Oh and he squeezed someone's waist during one of these photos. Oh, the horror.

As for the first woman, she claimed he groped her when all he did was take an inappropriate photo long before he became a Senator. That's assault? No, it's not. It would not meet ANY legal definition of assault.

I'm sorry, but nothing, not one thing here rises to the level of sexual assault.

But it makes my case well about how we, as women, are making ourselves into victims, when we trivialize sexual assault, by calling these things the same thing.

It is a slippery slope. And we pushed Franken off the ledge. For nothing. That's how *I* see it.

Meggieprice

07-09-2001

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 9:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Meggieprice a private message Print Post    
Karuuna- you articulated perfectly how I feel in this case.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 9:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Nice to know I'm being lumped in among the likes of Les Moonves and Harvey Weinstein because I made jokes about wanting to see Tyler's butt (having watched Big Brother from the very beginning, and knowing that apparently there have been many "sightings" of various castmembers private parts, I can honestly say I have never gone out of my way to view their "nasty bits" in any fashion).

I think the reason Al Franken's allegations were particularly toxic for him was the picture of him allegedly groping a woman as she was asleep on a plane. You can't unsee pictures. Furthermore, some of his accusers say he deliberately touched them on their breasts or butts, not a "casual brush." I get that it's not sexual assault in the more horrific sense but it is a pattern of disrespect for women that is extremely unsavory.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/sen-al-frankens-accusers-accusations-made/story?id=51406862

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 10:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Roxip, I think you're speaking to me, so let me clarify.

I think that by lumping all leering and boorish behavior into "sexual assault", then it DOES make things like joking about seeing or touching someone's butt (locker room talk?) in the same category. I am arguing AGAINST that.

We can't paint all behavior with the same brush, that's a mistake.

As for Franklin, I read those very accusations. He took tens of thousands of photos, and a *handful* of women said he touched their butt or breast. He says it was incidental, and not purposeful. And how in the heck did "squeezing my waist" become sexual assault??? It may be boorish or overly familiar, but it should NOT in any way be lumped in with sexual assault, any more than the desire to examine Tyler's butt for tattoos.

AS for the groping, it didn't happen. You can see clearly from the photo that he didn't touch her. Still it was humiliating. I imagine Tyler would be rather mortified by the idea of 50 & 60 year old women joking about leering at his butt, too.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 10:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I thought the photo clearly showed him cupping his hands around her breasts, and touching them.

Bbyluv76

08-10-2011

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 10:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bbyluv76 a private message Print Post    
Can we move this conversation to its own thread?
I think it's a really important conversation to be having, but maybe just not here

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 10:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Dogdoc, nope. Reaching toward them, just hovering above. See the link above.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 10:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Anyone can start a new thread here any time they want to. :-)

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 11:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I saw that link. Hovering is bad enough. I still see groping.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 11:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
She's wearing a flack jacket.
And I don't even see contact with that, his left hand is clearly hovering and the right has a shadow over the protective vests. It's misleading to say "he's cupping her breasts" IMO. YMMV.

At any rate, I still think he was scapegoated. He apologized sincerely and profusely, offered to make amends.

Unlike others that have done far worse and have denied.

We have to not throw people out that are sincerely concerned about how they might have offended others. He was a political scapegoat, and that's wrong.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 11:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Karuuna, I will agree that it was hovering over...however it was the implication of his actions that was so boorish to me. It showed a significant lack of respect for her ownership of her body. I do not think it was sexual assault, for what it's worth.

And I can see the correlation about joking about Tyler's butt so I will withdraw from that discussion...LOL!

Back to talking about things that are actually happening in the house?

Missyb

07-28-2004

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 11:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Missyb a private message Print Post    
https://www.newsweek.com/former-big-brother-winners-name-their-picks-seasons-champion-1118811

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 11:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Back to talking about things that are actually happening in the house?

Um, "outside" the house... LOL. Okay by me.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 12:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Ok, here's a new topic... another CBS executive is bites the dust...
NBC News Verified account @NBCNews
24m24 minutes ago
More
CBS News fires Jeff Fager, the executive producer of "60 Minutes," issuing a statement saying he had violated company policy.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 12:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Oops, you are correct.

I read that article about Jeff Fager...but of course it had nothing to do with the charges of sexual misconduct against him!

Queenfish

07-19-2006

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 1:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Queenfish a private message Print Post    
i sure hope we get a peek at what the Jury has been up to, tonight..

Maineiac

08-24-2009

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 2:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maineiac a private message Print Post    
I am by no means comparing Franken's behavior to Weinstein and Moonves. However, I don't believe that because what they did was so abhorrible, we should dismiss all the other less abhorrible behavior because it's not on the same level.

What Franken did to the first woman that spoke out was disgusting and very demeaning to women. And I found his apology to be arrogant and dismissive.JMO

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 3:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I didn't find his apology to be arrogant or dismissive. I found it to be sincere. He tried to make amends.

But there is some evidence that she was operating for political reasons, so I'll just leave it at that. She had reasons for NOT accepting his apology.

And yes, I think Franklin was wrong. Let me be clear about that. In THAT case, I think he was wrong.

I don't think squeezing someone too tightly is the same thing. Or accidentally touching a breast or butt during THOUSANDS of photographs.

Yet he apologized for that too.

I do think we need to distinguish between the kind of behavior by Moonves and the kind of behavior by Franklin. And we need to acknowledge genuine remorse.

We CANNOT treat all these cases the same, or we trivialize the very real harm done to people like those assaulted by Moonves. JMO.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 3:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I think it all depends on how much you like (or dislike) a person as to how you perceive their behavior.

I've not heard that Moonves did anything more than overly aggressive "hits" (but I could be wrong) - but his actions after being rejected or being called out in the past are where he, in my opinion, crossed the line. Damaging someone's career because they rejected you is loathsome.

Now Harvey Weinstein...he is pure human slime in my opinion.