TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 21, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Big Brother : USA 2013: General Discussion: News from the outside world re:BB15 houseguests: Archive through August 21, 2013 users admin

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 10:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Yes, you can fire someone at any time. I'm just saying that if you aren't clear about policies and the reasons, they *can* sue (and sometimes win), and at a minimum collect unemployment (which YOU actually pay). If they do sue you, you will have an abundance of attorney fees to deal with. So it's unwise, unless you like to throw away money.

However, if you can show that you fired for *cause*, no unemployment is due. And while they can still sue, it's not likely a court will hear it.

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 12:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
My employee did collect unemployment and I did not contest. I'd do it again because I don't play nice with people that have his mindset. Money or law suits are not a deterrent for me when it comes to racism... But that is just me. Other people may find the threat of losing money or a lawsuit enough of a problem to forego their morality.

Gumby

08-14-2004

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 12:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gumby a private message Print Post    
If you are a small business owner who is just struggling to get by, you may not have the luxury of letting a lawsuit or losing money just happen. It has nothing to do with a personal moral code, it has to do with keeping their business alive.

Kep421

08-11-2001

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 12:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kep421 a private message Print Post    
I think unemployment compensation is not the issue. Employers are legally allowed in all states to fire without cause. The fired person may be entitled to unemployment compensation because it is without cause, but that does not make the firing illegal.

I read on the state of Colorado's labor website that there is no cause of action against an employer who fires without cause.

Kep421

08-11-2001

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 12:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kep421 a private message Print Post    
http://www.colorado.gov/...

This is the Colorado statute that deals with termination, Colorado is an AT WILL state.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 12:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Didn't I read that the lady who was fired by the dentist for being too attractive lost her case??

Don't a lot of employers have morality and ethic's clauses to protect themselves. Most people don't have the time or resources to go after an employer after being fired.

Kep421

08-11-2001

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 12:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kep421 a private message Print Post    
This site talks about employee rights...and is the one that states you cannot sue an employer just because your termination was "wrong".

Do I Have a Claim for Wrongful Termination?

Employees often think that the term �wrongful discharge� or �wrongful termination� refers to any unjust termination and that there is a specific legal claim for unjust termination. �Wrongful discharge� refers only to a specific legal claim recognized by Colorado courts that permits employees to sue for damages where an employee is terminated for opposing conduct that is illegal or against public policy. Unfortunately, there is no recognized legal claim that permits an employee to sue for a termination just because the termination is unjust or wrong.

http://www.coloradoemployeerights.com/rights/

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 12:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Brenda, she did lose her case, after 3 years of litigation and lawyer costs all the way thru 2 appeals.

You cannot legally fire someone for *any* reason, like discrimination, whistleblowing and a hostile workplace. These are grounds for lawsuits. Even in "at-will" states.

While you may fire someone for language, you may still have to deal with a lawsuit, that's all I'm saying.

It's a WISE employer who thinks about these things ahead of time, to avoid unnecessary lawsuits AND paying unemployment. Because even unemployment claims can become very costly for small businesses.

Kep421

08-11-2001

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 12:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kep421 a private message Print Post    
The research I've seen indicates all states follow the EEOC and Fair Labor Standards (federal laws), and I've not yet found a state that doesn't follow these statutes or replaced them with statutes of their own.

Of course I've not read ALL the states, but I've been through many of them and didn't fine one that had more strict laws concerning termination of an employee.

Kep421

08-11-2001

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 12:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kep421 a private message Print Post    
Kar... you are talking about offenses that are protected by either Title 7 or the EEOC statues.

No one is saying you can fire for those reasons... but you CAN fire someone for making racist remarks in private or on the job.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 12:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I never said you couldn't.

Kep421

08-11-2001

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 12:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kep421 a private message Print Post    
Kar, you said

You can only fire for violating work place written policies, and you have to give several warnings first and opportunities for the employee to fix the problem.

My documentation and research says that is not the case... then backed up my statement.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 12:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Kep, you are taking that out of context. Thanks very much. :-)

I also said:

Yes, you can fire someone at any time. I'm just saying that if you aren't clear about policies and the reasons, they *can* sue (and sometimes win), and at a minimum collect unemployment (which YOU actually pay). If they do sue you, you will have an abundance of attorney fees to deal with. So it's unwise, unless you like to throw away money.

So there you go. The whole story.

Which is exactly why a *REAL* Colorado employment attorney advised us on how to handle these situations in the future. By having a clearly written policy manual that included reasons for *immediate* firing, and by giving notice and a chance to correct poor performance. To avoid lawsuits and unemployment.

And which is also why that *real* attorney advised us to have a dismissed employee sign away her right to sue for "wrongful termination" in exchange for severance. His language. The lawyer.

He also noted that the mere existence of a an employee manual constitutes a *contract* and contracts in the state of Colorado *superceed* employment-at-will.

So what you look up in my state is fascinating, but I'll go by what the attorney advised. I think that's the wisest choice for me. :-)

Kep421

08-11-2001

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 1:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kep421 a private message Print Post    
< never ever claimed to be a "real attorney" <99>.

I posted verbiage from the actual gov sites, so I standby my statements.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 1:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
As I said, what you look up on the internet in my state is fascinating, but I'll go by what the attorney advised. I think that's the wisest choice for me and in fact, any employer in Colorado.

Because it is their profession and daily living, they would know more about what kind of lawsuits are filed, are won, and what an employer must do to protect themselves. JMO.

And it bears repeating, if you have a contract with an employee (and the Colorado Supreme Court has found that even an employee manual constitutes a contract), "at-will" is out the window.

Mamapors

07-29-2004

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 1:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamapors a private message Print Post    
Will Paula Deen sue the Food Network? Is her firing something she can sue over? Because they basically fired her for racist comments made outside of the scope of her job.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 1:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
As I understand it, they didn't fire her. They chose not to extend her contract.

""Food Network will not renew Paula Deen's contract when it expires at the end of this month," the statement said. Network representatives declined further comment. A representative for Deen did not immediately return phone and email messages seeking comment on the decision."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/21/paula-deen-fired-food-network-cancels-show-after-racism-scandal_n_3480517.html

They also canceled her show, which was within their contractual rights.

Mamapors

07-29-2004

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 1:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamapors a private message Print Post    
ahh, ok. That is different.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 1:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Yes, the headlines all used the word "fire" but it's not the correct term legally.

Missyb

07-28-2004

Monday, August 19, 2013 - 7:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Missyb a private message Print Post    
Wil's new video:

http://forums.jokersupdates.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Board=BBMedia&Number=20499721

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, August 19, 2013 - 9:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Oh man, those are SO funny. I sure would like to know what Julie Chen thinks of them. I bet she laughs herself silly. Julie Chen in the brown paper bag for Thursday's show was SO spot on.

Egbok

07-13-2000

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 7:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed watching this youtube. Thanks for posting it.

Shenanagon

07-28-2009

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 6:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Shenanagon a private message Print Post    
Am not a Evel Dick fan but I like this blog he did recently on the MVP twist.

http://eveldickdonato.blogspot.com/2013_08_01_archive.html

Lainee

07-19-2005

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 6:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lainee a private message Print Post    
Not an Evil Dick fan either...

Lainee

07-19-2005

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 6:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lainee a private message Print Post    
I could not get past the first 3 paragraphs...so I do not know if it is good or not!