TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 22, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Big Brother : Canada 2013: General Discussions: Big Brother Canada‏ starts Feb 27, 2013: Archive through February 22, 2013 users admin

Rosem4243

06-27-2005

Monday, February 11, 2013 - 1:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosem4243 a private message Print Post    
So, I can watch livestreamers streaming from say, Egypt, or Spain online, for free, anytime they are broadcasting.

But I can't watch Canadian Big Brother?

Oh, Capitalism, I despise you so!

Wilsonatmd

01-23-2001

Monday, February 11, 2013 - 2:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wilsonatmd a private message Print Post    
There'll be workarounds rose, there always are.

Anyway, here's an ad for the show...

http://youtu.be/mNunTVv7zGw

(and I suspect that a car is going to be added to the $100K for the winner, since Chevy is a sponsor now..The Brick is a furniture store chain so I suspect they supplied furniture for the house)

and it also looks like there's going to be an early eviction twist- they're offering tickets for the live shows in Toronto, and the first date is 2/28- the night after the premiere...

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, February 11, 2013 - 4:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Not a bad payday considering it is tax free. I can't remember what the US one is.

Wilsonatmd

01-23-2001

Monday, February 11, 2013 - 4:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wilsonatmd a private message Print Post    
After taxes? about $250K or so Jasper...

Kaysarluvsme

08-06-2005

Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 8:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kaysarluvsme a private message Print Post    
If any of our Canadian members knows of a way to view shows or live feeds for us in the U.S. please share. Thank you.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 10:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Is it $500K? I can never remember. I imagine the Cdn TAR will be well under a $500K as well. I haven't seen any mention of total prizes.

http://blogs.slice.ca/big-brother-canada-free-live-feeds-and-interactive-experience/

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 12:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Kaysarluvsme, if it's not shown in the USA the only thing I can possibly think of is that some of us Canucks might tape the shows and then mail them to you guys.

Lillian

07-29-2009

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 10:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lillian a private message Print Post    
Apparently Dan is in Toronto promoting BB Canada. There's an article by him posted at Jokers - not sure where else it has appeared so not sure how to link it.

ETA - found the link on Dan's website - http://www.dangheesling.com/big-brother-canada/

He gives his thoughts on how BB Canada can succeed, and it's an odd article to say the least. He gushes over the casting director (from BB US), and I do think some of us would disagree with some choices in recent seasons.

Then he essentially says that Canadian versions of US reality shows haven't done very well, specifically Canadian Idol. Aside from the fact that Canadian Idol was hugely successful, he seems to have missed the fact that the same production company that's doing BB Canada also did Canadian Idol - assuming they are paying him to promote the show, that's a big bite out of the hand that is feeding him.

Then he talks about the importance of social media. I beg to differ - I think for most the show content is overwhelmingly what matters, and for hardcore fans it's all about the feeds. Hopefully they don't waste valuable airtime with annoying "here's what people are saying on Twitter!" segments.

And for me, it's not about random tweets and FB posts, but the discussion that we have here and the blog reporting that's the most fun - the stuff that's not controlled by the producers.

Thoughts?

Jasper

09-14-2000

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 11:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
You are so right Lillian. I'll take this opportunity to say I am always annoyed to have those stupid trailers at the bottom of some shows with people's tweets.

SYTYCD and CI were both on for many seasons, not as much as the US versions, but they might have been if they were sold to the US market. CNTM and Project Runaway were both on for 3 seasons I beleive. Not to bad when you consider the population. Top Chef Canada is great imo. Bachelor Canada was a huge hit. I beg to differ with Dan regarding production value and I also love that the Canadian versions don't bloat results show to some hour long thing. There the Americans could learn a thing or two. While I would love the public to be able to vote on things a la the US version and perhaps have a say in who goes, please no tweets!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 12:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
The Bachelor Canada was the best Bachelor season I've ever seen. Canadian Idol did well for a number of years though in its later seasons it fell into the same mode as AI with a white guy with a guitar winning.

I don't like the silly twitter messages either and I am a big fan of twitter. I just don't want to hear silly five word comments from other fans.

They have been doing quite a bit of promotion for BB Canada including a spot with Will and Boogie doing their phone call act.

Wilsonatmd

01-23-2001

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 12:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wilsonatmd a private message Print Post    
IIRC, the main reason why SYTYCDC and CI were canceled wasn't because of ratings (they were doing pretty well), it was more because of the cost to produce the show got too expensive. Here you've got a huge sunk cost in building the house, but you only have to do that once (the yearly remodels won't cost as much).

Wilsonatmd

01-23-2001

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 4:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wilsonatmd a private message Print Post    
Looks like the cast will be revealed tomorrow (2/20), per BBCA's Facebook page- They said they have 15 reasons to keep an eye on the page, so 15 HG's it looks like (which makes the odds of an eviction the night after the premiere even more likely)...

Lillian

07-29-2009

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 9:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lillian a private message Print Post    
http://blogs.slice.ca/meet-the-big-brother-canada-houseguests/

http://shawmediatv.ca/press/read/?1901

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 9:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Thanks Lillian!

Wilsonatmd

01-23-2001

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 12:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wilsonatmd a private message Print Post    
The prize has gone up too- the show sponsors have added a $25K shopping spree and a car worth about $20K or so to the $100K cash prize...

Hwest

07-01-2011

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 2:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hwest a private message Print Post    
The cast looks interesting. They have some odd names. "Emerald Topaz" must have a Mom who likes jewels. I'll have a hard time remembering some of the names in the beginning.

Llkoolaid

08-01-2001

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 3:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Llkoolaid a private message Print Post    
Whoohoo, my daughter just phoned me and said go look at who is on BB, so I did. Jillian is from New Glasgow, my small town, my 2 oldest daughters both know her, one of them is a friend of hers. Wow, this is so cool.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 4:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That is cool! She looks cute and interesting. It will be fun watching her.

Tweety

04-14-2003

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 11:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tweety a private message Print Post    
It will be a bit of a brain warp to watch Survivor then BB on Wed nights and TAR then BB on Sundays. The house guests seem very skewed to young with all but 3 in their 20's.

Wilsonatmd

01-23-2001

Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 8:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wilsonatmd a private message Print Post    
If I'm reading some info right, instead of a backyard, the house will have a basement...

Lillian

07-29-2009

Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 9:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lillian a private message Print Post    
They have a backyard, but it's indoors (Mississauga is still in full winter right now). From the images I've seen, it's not unlike what we are used to on BB US.

Haven't heard anything about a basement - but I think Celebrity BB UK had one, similar to the concept of a have nots room, only people had to live down there not just sleep.

I did hear that while BB Can started as a mirror of BB US, they have spent more time working with and looking at BB UK, so maybe some elements will be part of BB Can?

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 9:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Is it in Mississauga?

Lillian

07-29-2009

Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 10:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lillian a private message Print Post    
Yes, suburb of Toronto.

Flagg

06-01-2005

Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 10:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Flagg a private message Print Post    
Might be cool if they have the US BB rules and strategy but the UK BB tasks and mind-games.

And of course a narrator and Big Brother as an actual character on the show instead of scripted housemate narration of everything in the diary room

Lillian

07-29-2009

Friday, February 22, 2013 - 6:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lillian a private message Print Post    
Here's a bunch of images of the inside of the house:

http://www.bigbrotherarchive.com/wp/big-brother-canada-house-photos-draft/