TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 16, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Big Brother : Canada 2013: General Discussions: Big Brother Canada‏ starts Feb 27, 2013: Archive through September 16, 2012 users admin

Willwillbee

09-20-2001

Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 4:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Willwillbee a private message Print Post    
First Ever Canadian Edition of Endemol’s Worldwide Hit Franchise Comes Exclusively to Slice™. Show will begin Feb 18 2013 for 10 weeks with 3 one hour episodes per week

per May 30, 2012 press release

ET Canada‏ @ETCanada
Huge announcement from #shawmedia - Big Brother Canada is coming to Slice.
details
http://shawmediatv.ca/press/read/?1720

True to the U.S. format, Big Brother Canada will hand pick a diverse group of competitive contestants in the Big Brother house outfitted wall to wall with cameras and microphones to capture the house guests’ every move. Week to week the house guests compete in a series of challenges and vote each other out until one claims victory and takes home the grand prize. Fans of Big Brother can connect with the series outside of the 3-day-a-week broadcast through a myriad of digital extensions including live streaming and social engagement opportunities that allow online users to impact decisions in the house.

Exec Producer on BB Canada
http://www.thestar.com/entertainment...brother-canada

Facebook group for BB Canada fans.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/284390498323149/

This says it starts Feb 18th

http://bigbrotheraccess.com/big-brot...etails-352954/

Big Brother Canada‏ @BigBroCA
24/7 live feeds like the American version. RT @insightprod Let us know what you are hoping to see on

new promo, being shown in the ad breaks when BBUS airs in Canada
http://bigbrothercanada.com/commerci...ming-to-slice/

23 weeks until this starts!

Construction on the house is supposed to be happening this month.

Also the lower age restriction is 19, compared to 21 for the USA.

Also it's approximately 75 days long, the same as recent US versions. Also applicants will live with approximately 'a dozen' strangers.. so around 13 people in all.

Prize fund $100k (Canadian dollars, of course!) subject to change.

Applicants don't have to be an actual Canadian citizen, just a permanent resident.. I think that differs from the US

http://bigbrothercanadacasting.ca/Eligibility

Canada: February - Late April/Early May
US: June - September

above info from

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1668910

I can't post thread under BB only under subthreads - hopefully this will be moved.

Kellee

07-07-2004

Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 6:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kellee a private message Print Post    
The reason the age limit is 19 instead of 21 is that when across the country you can drink...so it is what is considered adult.

I am sorry it is taking the US way of eviction but still going to take an interest.

Punkaroo

05-30-2006

Monday, September 10, 2012 - 7:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Punkaroo a private message Print Post    
only 100k prize - geez.....

Wilsonatmd

01-23-2001

Monday, September 10, 2012 - 7:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wilsonatmd a private message Print Post    
Punkaroo- You have to remember this is for a cable channel there so the budget is smaller, and I believe they don't have to pay taxes on it if they win.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, September 10, 2012 - 7:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I know Canadians don't pay taxes on lottery winnings for example. I'm not positive how this would work though with respect to a stipend.

I just hope that they have enough money to spend on it to make a decent show. And I hope that Americans will be able to view the live feeds as well.

LOL - Won't be much sun bathing in the backyard in February!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, September 10, 2012 - 8:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I have a friend who wants to apply for the show. (He wants me to do his audition video.) He was overwhelmed by the the online application - which is about 45 pages long!!! And of course it demands affidavits from all kinds of doctors regarding physical, mental and emotional health. (Which is hilarious when you think of some of the whackadoodles that have been accepted on the show over the years.) Anyhow, I suggested he wait and watch the first season of the Canadian version and then decide if he really wants to do it.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, September 10, 2012 - 8:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Jimmer isn't the US set an INDOOR set? Even the backyard is indoors there? I thought they changed it years ago to indoors to avoid the airplane banners.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, September 10, 2012 - 8:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I thought that the backyard was exposed to the sky but you are right that we haven't heard much about planes flying banners recently.

Punkaroo

05-30-2006

Monday, September 10, 2012 - 8:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Punkaroo a private message Print Post    
I guess 100k clear isn't that bad :-)

The US does have exposed sky, the other night they noticed a very bright star and noted it must be extra bright to see it over the lights.

Puzzled

08-27-2001

Monday, September 10, 2012 - 8:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puzzled a private message Print Post    
It's too bad they're following the American model instead of being like UK or Australia. Oh, well, I don't have cable,anyway. Waaaa

Abby7

07-17-2002

Monday, September 10, 2012 - 9:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
backyard is outdoors. they noticed it lightly sprinkling last night. (been really humid here last 2 days at least). think they avoided the banner problem by making hg's to get in house (and or not look up). forget.

Rosem4243

06-27-2005

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 7:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosem4243 a private message Print Post    
So, are we in the US going to be able to see the TV show somewhere? Live feeds?

You would think that I've had enough of BB (HA!) But I'm really curious to see the Canadian version. Hoping that they actually do some real casting and find regular people who are entertaining, and not just pick from "Actormodels Incorporated" like they do here.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 7:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Rosem, IF there's any way to drop links and vids for you guys, you know I will. I suspect that some cable channel in the USA might pick it up if it's successful. We have a channel in Canada called Global REALITY where they air reruns of various Reality shows, etc. Do you guys have something similar?

Rosem4243

06-27-2005

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 3:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosem4243 a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Mame!

I think we do have a reality channel, I'll have to check.

So great to know we can count on you and all our Canadian friends to get some links and info to us!

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 3:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
We used to have a reality channel in the US called "FOX Reality", but it was shut down for good in 2010.

Kellee

07-07-2004

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 8:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kellee a private message Print Post    
I am wondering how this is all going to work with it being filmed in Canada in the middle of winter...yes places like BC are warmer but won't snow possibly effect the show and the look of it. Maybe they just want to have it out there at a time that does not compete with any other BB's.

Punkaroo

05-30-2006

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 10:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Punkaroo a private message Print Post    
They could use a huge skylight in the yard

Kellirippa

07-10-2002

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 10:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kellirippa a private message Print Post    
Mame - hope your friend doesn't wait too long to apply for the show, SYTYCD Canada, Project Runway Can., Canadian Idol, Canada's Got Talent.. Canadian versions of reality competition shows don't have the best track record..

Dawn

07-24-2009

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 10:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dawn a private message Print Post    
the US HG's have seen planes this year. once they alert other people to it, it then alert's BB to tell them to get inside for lockdown.

the have fake grass because i think its just in a studio parking lot, but they're actually outside.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 10:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the info about the backyard.

And it's true that the Cdn versions of US shows don't always have the best track record.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 11:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Canadian Idol did well for a while before it fizzled and it did produce a couple of fairly big performers (well one anyway) though it took a while. I agree about the rest though. That's why I hope they have enough money behind this to make it work and not look cheap.

Wilsonatmd

01-23-2001

Friday, September 14, 2012 - 11:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wilsonatmd a private message Print Post    
The first set of public auditions is this weekend for those in the Vancouver area...Hayden from BB12 will be there as well, so they're bringing in US people to do promo work (Janelle has helped with a couple of video applications from what I heard)

http://shawmediatv.ca/press/read/?1787

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 12:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
our canadian shows DO have a good record and often last for seasons. the trick is that OUR population is quite small and the USA is NOT INTERESTED in putting any of our shows on.

yet we happily endorse theirs.

IF BBcan was going to be done like most other countries, it would have great interest. BUT a nonstop bitcccchfest, bullying ganging up mentality such as USA version, Canada will not like it.

Ya it will likely be picked up for a couple of years IF THE usa embraces it. Just the fact that a horrific verbal threatener (rape buggery general abuse) character like Evel Dick was WELCOMED in toronto, means that OUR francise is already polluted.

we will have the SAME exact "formula" as the USA as the Casting agent is the same.

i may not even watch.

I'm serious. Most of you know me (early yrs by another name) since BB1 !!!!

i did NOT WATch one episode of this season USA and the first Rachel Brendan season.

something that Americans may not realize about canada is that We are VERY regional and culturally diverse. While we are bound together "as canadians" we dont have the same Mania? about it.

I dont know how they are going to cast our show to make it truly canadian. we are so multicultural. I would expect it should look more like a BBUK

Kellee

07-07-2004

Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 7:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kellee a private message Print Post    
i am hoping to see the diversity of all the differing areas...like the Territories and PEI ...I am going to be greatly disappointed if I see more than one person from COTU Toronto...

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, September 16, 2012 - 8:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
COTU???