TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 06, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Amazing Race: The Amazing Race - Australia & China Rush: Amazing Race Latino America : Archive through December 06, 2011 users admin

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, November 07, 2011 - 6:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
That first section was one of the more disgusting "legs" of the race I've seen.

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Monday, November 07, 2011 - 7:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
Yeah, disgusting (I watch it too). They left nothing to the imagination with the barf buckets. I think there must have been a lot of swearing, cause it seemed like a whole lot of bleeping going on. That will be fun entertainment for your fiesta.

I'm simply amazed at the woman in the wheel chair and her partner pushing her!

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Monday, November 14, 2011 - 6:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
Amazing Race Latino America 3 Ep 08, (2011)
44:02 min
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln06-AZ3H2s&feature=uploademail

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, November 14, 2011 - 6:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Thanks. :-) I'm going to wander around the site to see if the uploader has this episode in sections. That file is too big for me to use Zamzar (at least the free version).

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 5:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
Shucks! I was afraid that might happen. That was the only link they sent me. Good luck! Oh, btw how did your Fiesta party go? Did the kids enjoy seeing more than short clips?

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 8:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I e-mailed the youtube account directly, so we'll see if I get a response. The party was a success! We never actually got to watch a full episode because they spent so much time just hanging around the table eating. :-) When one of my bilingual kids said my sopa was even better than his mom's, I was tickled.

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Monday, November 21, 2011 - 2:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
I'm sorry Teach. They just sent me the latest @ 43:49. The full episode.

Amazing Race Latino America 3 Ep 09, (2011)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=allKigua-qk&feature=uploademail

Teach: ...Zamzar (at least the free version)

What would it cost to buy the paid version of Zamzar? I may likely be willing to help pay, within reason.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, November 21, 2011 - 3:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
No worries, Bisc - the kids have said they don't care which episodes they see (out of order is fine) and I can e-mail them the youtube links for the episodes that are too long to download. I truly appreciate the offer, and I am LOVING this version! :-)

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 3:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I did some looking, and I can get Zamzar for $16 a month w/big enough uploads to handle entire episodes. I think I'll wait until the season is over, and then I can do all the ending episodes that aren't broken up. Meanwhile, I'm just watching them on youtube when I'm not at school. :-)

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Monday, November 28, 2011 - 2:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
I am so hoping that Teach is all snuggled warm in her bed already, getting some sleep. After all her weekend, rating exams, Teach truly needs some sleep. I don't wish to be a temptress but here's what they downloaded tonight. By the time I check into my computer tomorrow, it will probably already be dark in Teach's part of the country:

Amazing Race Latino America 3 Ep 10, (2011)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6CNoTX8t4c&feature=uploademail
43:36 min

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Monday, November 28, 2011 - 2:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
Hey Teach, just so you know, I was late delivering tonight but only because I was quacking Christmas on the phone with my kid Sis. She was excited to find out I've been downloading Latino TAR. So we may have another lurking viewer, she seriously enjoyed the Australian TAR.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Monday, November 28, 2011 - 5:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Thank you for so faithfully keeping us posted re the Latino race.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, November 28, 2011 - 9:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I was in bed, and I got home late tonight, but this is on my "to do" list for tomorrow. :-)

Here's another kind of thanks for you. Out new tri started today, and I lost 3 Span. 3 kids to Calc (stupid schedules). One gal, however, told me she stuck with Spanish because 1) we eat, and 2) we watch movies! LOL Immediately after that she asked, "Do we get to watch more Amazing Race?" When I said yes, the entire class cheered. THANK YOU for making that possible!

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Monday, November 28, 2011 - 10:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
hehehe, Teach can't tell you how much that thrills me!!!

Sometime I need to write the story again (posted it once & so wish I had saved it) about my beloved Mom and her Hispanic neighbors for decades. Parents & 7 kids living in 2 bedrm house next door, parents didn't speak English so the kids grew up translating.

That's part of why I feel so strongly about keeping these YTs posted. Make it fun and they will have a stronger learning IMO.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 7:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Any time you want to write it, I have kids who will read it - shoot, I bet I've got kids who have lived a very similar story! :-)

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 8:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
What is so sad about using young kids as translators for their patrent(s) is that they often have to deal with matters from which they should ideally be shielded - spousal abuse, adultery, alcohol/drug abuse, etc.

I volunteer twice a month at a neighborhood community house so I get a chance to see - and be appalled by this - first hand. I could wish that the parent(s) had a little more self confidence AND trust that there are many spanish speakers available in this city to assist them.

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 10:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
Mom and the Quinceañera

Back in 1978, here in Seattle, I had purchased white satin and VERY expensive European-made lace for my wedding dress. Before I had sewn it, I decided that I couldn’t go through with the marriage. So I sent the satin and lace, along with all the fabric for my bridesmaids’ dresses, to my Mom in Phoenix. Told her that I knew she could find some way to use it, but I was saddened and couldn’t look at the fabric again.

Now, my Mom was a seamstress all her life right up to two days before her death and she taught me to sew by Age 8 starting on an old treadle sewing machine. She was an Accountant for the State of Arizona, but she had sewn her first wedding dress at Age 16. It was during the Great Depression and her family of farmers had somehow managed to buy satin for her older Sister’s wedding dress, a tremendous expense given the times. Her Sis was so fearful of cutting into that satin that Mom took the scissors over and made the dress for her.

Back to my wedding dress fabric, Mom put the satin and lace into her footlocker until she could decide what to do with it. Now, over many years she had developed a good friendship with her Hispanic neighbors. Parents & 7 kids living in tiny 2 bedroom house next door. The parents didn't speak English so the kids grew up translating. The kids would often stop by just to visit with Mom and every time I would come home for the holidays, Mom would tell me what the neighbors were doing and show off the Christmas present they gave her each year. They may have been poor, but they were a happy and loving family. I believe there was one daughter and all the rest of the kids were boys.

About a decade later, around 1988, Mom called me. “Remember that satin and lace? I’ve told the neighbors’ Daughter and her Mother that I want to sew her Quinceañera dress. Do you mind if I use the fabric?” Absolutely! I was delighted. They spent a lot of time and fittings, and Mom made her a beautiful dress. They invited Mom to the Quinceañera and the reception back at their little house afterwards. Mom said the house was packed with people, but she had a lovely time and felt so honored to have been invited. First time she had ever been to a Quinceañera.

Then in 1995 Mom suffered some massive strokes, we weren’t sure she would survive. Doctors told her that if she did survive that she probably never would regain the use of one arm and certainly would never sew again. She was in rehab and assisted living, leaving her house empty for the next couple of years. Mom worked hard at rehab and proved the doctors wrong! She did regain some use of her arm and sewed for the rest of her life.

My Sisters were rather mystified. Besides their own jobs, they had their hands full taking care of Mom, so they hadn’t boarded up her house. Next door, on the other side, there were two “crack houses” with drugsters coming and going. But there was never any vandalizing of Mom’s house.

Finally one evening my two Sisters went to see her Hispanic neighbors. First to tell them how Mom was doing and that she wouldn’t be coming home. Also, to ask them to buy her house. They would reduce the price to $20,000 to help make the sale possible. It would give them more room and they wouldn’t have to rent anymore. Sadly, they couldn’t buy her house. We think they didn’t wish to draw attention to the Parents’ immigration status. Too bad, because their landlord later sold their little house and they had to move.

During that evening, the Father nodded to one of his kids as if to say “it’s time” and the son left for a few minutes. When my Sisters left that evening, they learned why Mom’s house hadn’t been vandalized those two years. Chained on her carport was their family’s own pitbull!

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 5:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Thank you for sharing such a lovely story, Biscotti!

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 5:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
YVW I've been wanting to rewrite the story since it's been long lost to TVCH archives. Mission accomplished now.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 8:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
What a fabulous story! I'm printing and sharing. :-)

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 6:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
The link above no longer works, but it's been posted HERE. WHEW! I was soooo bummed I hadn't had time to watch it yet, and then I thought I'd missed it completely

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Monday, December 05, 2011 - 6:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
Amazing Race Latino America 3 Ep 11, (2011)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGSn-3yrh1E&feature=uploademail

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 6:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
Amazing Race Latin America 3 Ep 11, (2011) Updated - better copy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQYxf4xexIk&feature=uploademail

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 7:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Now I'm getting spoiled. :-)

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 7:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post