TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through October 14, 2022

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Amazing Race: The Amazing Race XXXIV: 4th Show, Oct 12: Archive through October 14, 2022 users admin

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Sunday, October 09, 2022 - 2:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
"Everyone's an Artist"
Continuing the To Be Continued event.

1hr show

Bisc: Jeepers! The tasks are brutally hard this race. Sure glad this ol' codger ain't running in it!

Pamy

01-01-2002

Wednesday, October 12, 2022 - 8:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
blah blah blah spoilers ahead

I wanted to smack Shrik! Bummed to see who went home just for the sound bites.
They barely show Derek and Claire, another red flag they dont last long

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Wednesday, October 12, 2022 - 9:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Wow, this was a frustrating episode. since it was a mega leg I was hoping they'd send two teams home! Sharik was just awful. How old is she? 15? Seems like a spoiled teenage brat. And Dom -- the motivational speaker was going to give up on a task 1 minute in?! She wasn't even going to TRY it! Wow, it was just too much.

I suspect Derek and Claire make it far. I think we didn't see much of them because they were back of the pack and nothing much interesting happened this leg.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, October 13, 2022 - 12:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
What a rollercoaster!! The last two couples. i'm not a huge fan of Dom and her meltdown at the sculpture wasn't great (well, it was cringeworthy that she wanted to just take a four hour penalty) but the way they stuck with the fashion task, even going back, had me rooting for them, especially after the horrible attitude from Sharik. I suspect Phil was torn because her father Linton wanted to be there so much but Sharik was being the biggest brat ever on Amazing Race, if my memory serves correctly. So I was rooting for Dom and Rich.

And I wanted Derek and Claire to be safe (and they were), was thrilled and cheered when the sisters Emily and Molly finished first! And also really happy that Glenda and Lamumba pulled out of last place, so there were definitely things to cheer about.

And Pamy, yeah it may be bad news for Claire and Derek going too far and another clue is that they had such good things to say about Dom in their youtube and that makes me think they spend some time together in sequester after elimination and before the end of the race. Guess we will see. And they get to go to Jordan..

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Thursday, October 13, 2022 - 12:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Well I loved that this episode was in Florence. My friend lived down the street from where they did the statue chiseling. My family lived not too far from there. It was neat seeing all the streets, piazzas, shops etc.

This was the first time I found myself hoping for a double elimination on AR. Sharik got the easiest comp so far to do. Dom immediately quiting was ridiculous. It was so obvious that the statue was concealed inside the block.... I wouldn't even need the clue to understand that. They should have sent the two women home and paired the two men up to continue the race lol Although Rich is too Zen for me. I like Linton and wish he had a better partner.

Emily and Molly are impressing the heck out of me! I think they have a good chance of winning even.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, October 13, 2022 - 12:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That had to be fun for you, Since!!

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Thursday, October 13, 2022 - 1:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Yes Sea....but I was hollering the whole time ...that's not how it's pronounced. Lol

I told my husband we could have never done the little door hole comp. He would have finished off all the food before we delivered it.

I always go on the live cams in Florence and people-watch. Especially the Ponte Vecchio. That's the Covered Bridge with all the jewelry stores on it. It was the only bridge in Florence that was not destroyed by bombs during the war. Legend has it that it was a direct order from Hitler because he loved art, to spare that bridge.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, October 13, 2022 - 2:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That food looked great.. Interesting that those door holes were helpful during COVID.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, October 13, 2022 - 2:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oh and Dom might have rubbed someone the wrong way. When she arrived at the sculpture, she asked if they had to actually carve it and one of the women doing the task said "yes". And no one corrected that statement.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, October 13, 2022 - 8:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Covid was the first thing I thought of when Phil explained the little delivery doors.

Dom got one thing exactly correct in her farewell speech, that she landed the only person in the world who could put up with her. And Sharik was just awful. How terribly embarrassing for her and her family. So much so that I was actually rooting for Dom and Rich to not be last.

I wish I could tell which twin is which. Is the one who did the sculpture the same one who put together the motorcycle? I was so thrilled to see them come in first. Who would have guessed that two 36 year old women who don't seem all that remarkable at first glance could make it into 1st place by episode 3 of Amazing Race with one of the challenges being putting together a motorcycle??!?!

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, October 13, 2022 - 9:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I agree that Sharik was pretty frustrating to watch. I do think that everyone can have bad moments and hopefully she can do something to redeem herself further on in the race.

Dom would be almost impossible to live with. Rich seems like a pretty special guy.

I was also surprised at how little they showed of Derek and Claire. However, that may be a good thing for their fans because it probably means they have lots of content to show in later episodes. :-)

Emily and Molly are amazing!

Sincebb1, it must have been so much fun getting to see a place that you are so familiar with!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Thursday, October 13, 2022 - 9:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
As annoying as Dom is, I too was hoping they would pass Sharik and dad. I can see saying one time "I want to go home" but to keep whining over and over and over. She basically gave up. It's a real shame she is still racing. To see two so defeated teams in one episode at a task that was not that hard is shocking! It's not like they were plowing with a broken Ox or unrolling giant bales of hay. These people are WHIMPS!

Derek joked on Instagram that they got "less screen time than the cameramen". "One of the worst legs."

And yes, the twins are impressive. It would be nice to see an all female team win this race. I hope they go far.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, October 13, 2022 - 9:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I have a different view on Sharik, but that's because I have worked with young people with extreme anxiety (which is how her father described her). It takes SOOOO much out of them to put themselves out there like she did in the sculpture task, and then they are just depleted, which is what we saw in her desire to just be done.

I'm sure she will recover after some rest. I am so grateful she has a father who is patient with her and loves and understands her issues. It's not being spoiled, it's a genuine disability. Good for her for carrying on!

As for Dom, glad she's gone. She *is* entitled. She thinks of herself as so enlightened, and yet she can't practice what she preaches. She doesn't walk the talk. I did love her hair tho!

And go twins and military bros! I still love Derek and Claire, but would be so happy to see either of the two frontrunners win too.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Thursday, October 13, 2022 - 10:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I have a lot of empathy for people with extreme anxiety because my daughter has it. And we have travelled when she was having an extreme episode where she spent a lot of time in the hotel room and could barely eat, but thank god she was not so whiney and insufferable. Medication has helped immensely thankfully. Shariks dad is a saint and was so supportive. I really have to question why Sharik thought she should/could go on this race.

Dom is a trip. Some of these "spiritual enlightened" people I've met are some of the most high maintenance and miserable in real life. Her husband is also a saint.

All the rest of the teams are a joy to watch!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, October 13, 2022 - 10:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I think people with anxiety deal with it in different ways. I'm so glad your daughter has an empathic mom that helps her get thru it. My DS had it too, altho he is pretty much over it now. Yes, he was whiny and difficult at times. He was just overwhelmed. I never thought him insufferable. I'm his mom. :-)

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Thursday, October 13, 2022 - 11:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
!. Dom. She looked at the statue and thought she could not do it was totally unaware that everyone else was doing it with less complaints. Did she think they were all sculptors? On the other hand, hauling al that hair around has to be exhausting, Perhaps her boyfriend applied and she had never seen a single show. Hard to believe she had no seen it though. I generally find a lot of people who correct my (rare) negative attitude (strangers in public when I am frustrated, etc.) generally are no saints in the same behavior
2. the Daughter (Sharik) Complained about her arms. She might have been trying the wrong way. But she seemed over it in the car as well. You could tell she was frightened about the task, but she was not enjoying the car ride either and it was through the Alps. You really don't get the total picture here, Like in the second series where people were asked to drink a cup of not pleasant tea. A small cup, one woman struggled and whined, in an after show I learned she had dysentery and had to keep running to the bathroom, not easy to find in this poor foreign country so then I thought she did not whine enough.
3. The nice thing about the twins was early on when they were in the back of the pack or struggled, they had the same positive attitude that they are learning about each other and that is the best part. I am not good at names, so I tend to think of it as the older and younger sister, even though they are twins, one looks younger, probably just clothes and make up.
4. as to those portals, there was an interesting article in maybe New Yorker or Atlantic about those little doors In Florence and Covid and how they became so popular, some store added them retroactively, others had to unbury them and clean them.

And thank you, Sincebb1 for you Florence Knowledge.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Thursday, October 13, 2022 - 2:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Sadie here's a little history…if you like

I always loved the "buchette del vino" (little wine holes) prevalent throughout Tuscany. Just goes to show how seriously Italians take their wine. That during the bubonic plague they invented a way to continue to serve wine, not food lol.

Well, in all honesty, it was invented by the wealthy Italian noble families that were also land owners and grew the grapes, trying to figure out how to hold on to their money. The buchette weren't for glasses of wine, they were to serve small flasks. That's why the original ones are a little pointed at the top, to allow a small flask to pass through.

The windows, by official declaration, were only for wine flasks and only for wine produced on their land from their vineyards, and had to be installed in the walls of their homes! Oiginal direct producer to consumer. They also avoided taxes this way. Win win.

My friend, whose family of four generations, owns the most famous ice cream shop in Florence (Gelateria Vivoli) was one of the first to open up their buchetta during covid. Many imposter wine windows were quickly installed throughout the city. The historical originals had to display their family's crest above the window.

The Vivoli family discovered theirs after the flood (alluvione) in Florence in 1966. Many of the buchette had been stuccoed over long ago. After the waters receded the portal was revealed, with the original family crest intact. They restored the walls and kept the window. The palazzo that Vivoli's shop is in, once belonged to an historic Florentino family that also produced wine.

During the flood my uncle used a row boat to bring my mom's parents food. The flood waters came up to her 3rd story apartment. He could just row right up to the window.

There is a song called L'Alluvione (the flood) by Riccardo Marasco. He was sort of a modern minstal, folk singer, of Tuscan songs that highlighted the Florentine power of resilience and tongue in cheek sarcasm, Italians (especially Fiorentino) are known for.

Irreverent, never politically correct and with every bad word you could possibly think of…his songs reflect the voice of the people.

The first verse …loosely translated. A husband and wife are in bed sleeping. On the song you hear a drip-drip sound in the background.

Husband: “Hey Rosa, but did you close the sink yesterday evening? I hear such a pissing of water!”
Wife: “Oh Gesilao, come away, you know it's the same story: it's lady Algisa from the upper floor, her husband has gone to the bathroom and she tells her kid to piss from the window. On my flowers, Gesilao! Go to tell her something, otherwise there's gonna be a fight!”
Husband: “Ok Rosa... I'll go to see, but... o god, Rosa... what happened... uuuh how much yellow stuff flowing! Oh mum (!), sir Cecchetti on the wardrobe... where will he go back home... oooh oooh Roooosaaa!” (water flushes him away)

The rest of the song is what the husband sees as he gets carried by the flood waters from Piazza to Piazza throughout Italy. It is funny and bittersweet.

Oh gosh, hope I haven't bored you guys endlessly LOL

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, October 13, 2022 - 5:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I don't know who I wanted to go home more, Dom/Rick or Linton/Sharik...

Can't we have the option of sending them both home!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, October 13, 2022 - 5:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Not at all boring! Just imagine rowing up to a third floor window! or living below that level..

Too bad Sharik .. well either didn't come on such a stressful race to begin with, because it is certainly stressful for all participants, though obviously some more than others, but given that she came on the race it is too bad she didn't work with Kim Holderness winner of last season with husband Penn, because she had a huge amount of anxiety and talked of some of her coping strategies. Too bad Sharik couldn't have done some training with Kim ahead of the race. I just hope the rest of the race isn't so unpleasant for Sharik, as it seemed that they had put off having her do a task until this leg and her father can only do so many of the tasks. But her problems didn't seem to lessen once she had completed that task but she was unenthused for the next task and at the mat. And that isn't fun to watch someone in such discomfort. And now they are home and I imagine she dreads seeing how she might be portrayed (hoping she got more support whenever she did go into sequester, if they did, as that would be way less stressful than being on camera, on the race).

Anyway, I still was rooting for Dom and I really am not a fan of Dom. But, they are gone and that's not bad.

(Interesting about her husband being a saint.. my ex husband's second wife, Vicki, is referred to as "Saint Vicki" by his sisters. They have both told me that! And she really is putting up with a lot, or was last I saw of them. He is very difficult to live with and then had a stroke at 56 which apparently didn't help much. I guess there are saints in many marriages..)

Pamy

01-01-2002

Thursday, October 13, 2022 - 5:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Phil having to ask her if she was sure she wanted to continue. This has to be a first. I bet the producers wanted her to quit so they could keep Dom. Dom much more tv gold than Shrik

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, October 13, 2022 - 6:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
But her problems didn't seem to lessen once she had completed that task but she was unenthused for the next task

That's not the way anxiety works. It's *exhausting* to push past it and do something anyway. And then they feel depleted, not invigorated.

Yes, there are lots of things we armchair quarterbacks think she should have done differently. I am impressed that she took the risk to go on the race, and that she accomplished that task. I'm proud of her.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Thursday, October 13, 2022 - 9:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
She was setting herself up to crash while in the car. You could see her talking herself into failure. That is not how to do it. I get very anxious about things and need to take some blank mind Time. There are physical ramifications if I get too upset which is a detriment to getting anything done. Some time it sneaks up.

I would have to look back at other shows to see if she wanted to race or if she did it for her father. She was probably not in it at toll all.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, October 13, 2022 - 10:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
i would have to look back as well, as I was kind of blindsided when she was so anxious but I hadn't really noticed that her dad did the first three roadblocks. That probably made her more anxious, just in anticipation.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Friday, October 14, 2022 - 4:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Sea, you're right. Dom must have pissed someone off when whoever it was told her "yes," she had to carve the entire statue.

Those sisters are a couple of challenge beasts! I love that they are taking their trip to Australia for the first birthday they will share together. Love that!!

Abby and Will are getting zero camera time - not just in lack of confessionals but at the challenges. I suspect they aren't long for the race.

I think there was so much drama this episode with the final two teams, that's why there was very little camera time for the teams in the middle of the pack like Derek and Claire.

As someone who suffers from extreme anxiety, I can tell you it can be triggered by the littlest thing and not necessarily the biggest thing (which you would think would trigger an attack). My family and friends (and co-workers and bosses) know when I have an attack, it will pass. Once the event passes and I have had a good night's sleep - I'm good. I'm over it... until the next event.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Friday, October 14, 2022 - 9:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I am really enjoying watching both sets of siblings as well as the sights and areas that the show is going to this season. Even the drama couldn't ruin it for me, lol.

Loved seeing those small windows and hearing the story behind them. Thanks, Since, for the further details on them.

Aubrey & David, Luis & Michelle, Abby & Will - all of them were barely seen as well this week and I agree that it was due to the other drama going on.

When Sharik complained that she was tired after 1 1/2 hours, all I could think of were those teams in past years who were still working at something in the dark after literally hours of trying to find something in the sand, etc. Love her dad though. He's a great example of patience and empathy.