TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through October 11, 2022

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Amazing Race: The Amazing Race XXXIV: 3rd Show, Oct 5: Archive through October 11, 2022 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, October 10, 2022 - 10:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
No, they told Sharon Tharp that the plan was that Claire would do heights like bungy jumps. Whether they did that, or how long they lasted, we simply don't know.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Monday, October 10, 2022 - 11:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Problem is... sometimes you don't know ahead, from just the written clue, what exactly is required. So you can plan ahead of time that a certain person would do a task requiring strength or height or good eyesight or balance Etc. Then you get there and it's a whole whole other ball of wax.

I would struggle on whether it would be a better idea to just abandon the task you're on and go to the other one.. or just keep plowing away at the one you're at. I guess it would depend on how geographically close they were to each other?

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, October 10, 2022 - 12:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I saw a headline for article that said Phil thinks Derek and Claire are cocky. I dont think he would say this if they win. Hope I am wrong

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, October 10, 2022 - 2:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Wow.. yeah that doesn't sound promising. I would say on episode/leg one there was an element of cockiness.. they were ahead and Derek grabbed a beer, and then had to be told he couldn't drive, so Claire had to drive and they still ended up in first, so Phil might have disapproved. But I agree, Pamy, that probably isn't the best headline we want to see.
\
Since, yes, exactly.. there are times when they wouldn't know it was a jump or something that was scary but not requiring strength.. but that was their original plan, they said. They did not say how that worked out. Obviously "calling in the cows" didn't say it involved yodeling or maybe Derek would have done that. They decided way ahead to avoid dancing.

Lexie, they also planned to keep the tasks even, as they have to be even at the end.

They were put through a boot camp by Claire's parents but Derek was being recruited to both Challenge and TAR. He had decided to and called and turned down the Challenge because he wanted to do TAR with Claire (neither gig had been solidified) and then they got the call that they were going on TAR. But then CBS said he could do both but that put a dent in their time for boot camp. Claire said she joked about him not going TOO far on Challenge.. and anyway, they had a couple of weeks to train .. driving stick shift, navigating by map or compass, trying to learn phrases in other languages.

He said also that since The Challenge had a lot of bilingual staff he would constantly ask them what that would be in Spanish and try to practice that, while on the Challenge.

But all the planning in the world.. may or may not help.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Monday, October 10, 2022 - 2:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Sea, where did you read that Derek had a beer and was told he couldn't drive?

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Monday, October 10, 2022 - 2:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Yes...you are foolish if you go on TAR and don't know how to drive a stick! I guess I take for granted that everyone certainly knows how to read a map or use a compass. Luckily most people in foreign countries speak English and own a cell phone....or there are tourists.

I would ace a dancing task...my husband not so much. But the anatomy test in Bologna...I thought was easy enough, that if it were allowed, I would have tried it without sitting through the class first. And it's not like I studied Anatomy per se. It was just included in my normal school curriculum. It seems less and less things are being normally included at school these days LOL

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, October 10, 2022 - 2:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Lexie, it was in Derek and Claire's podcast for the first episode.. very entertaining..

https://youtu.be/2WrxGaoV7sg

And in the thread for episode 2 there is a link to the second youtube..

Rosem4243

06-27-2005

Monday, October 10, 2022 - 3:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosem4243 a private message Print Post    
Here is Derek and Claire reviewing Ep. 3:

https://youtu.be/xSTW9cNHRRs

It was actually stressful just watching them describe it!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, October 10, 2022 - 3:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Honestly, Sincebb1, while I still know how to use a map, I rely 100% on GPS these days. I imagine folks who grew up with GPS would find "mapping" to be pretty challenging.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, October 10, 2022 - 4:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
OH.. they just did one for episode 3!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSTW9cNHRRs

Going to WATCH NOW.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Monday, October 10, 2022 - 5:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
I use GPS too of course...its easier than holding a map while driving. But I can still read a map or Thomas Guide and navigate myself to anywhere. I always assumed everyone could do it. But most people can't even find countries on a globe now

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, October 10, 2022 - 5:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
There isn't a way for many people to learn stick. My son really wanted to learn but we dont know anyone with a stick car, I dont think you can even rent a stick shift car unless it was a sports car. Who would rent a sports car to someone that didnt even know how to drive stick LOL I sure wouldnt want someone learning on my expensive car.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, October 10, 2022 - 6:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Sincebb1, I think it's a generational thing. JMO.

Yeah, Pamy, I never thought about that. I'll have to ask my DS if he knows how. Pretty sure his dad had a stick shift for awhile.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, October 10, 2022 - 6:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Yes, young people are not learning how to read maps. Good luck to them if they travel in mountains or Wyoming where cell phones have vast dead zones. :-) And yeah, i'm not sure where I would be able to learn to drive a stick. It would be tough to find someone with one that isn't a sports car!

Derek and Clare discuss their road block strategy in their latest video (which in instagram seems you need to be a paying subscriber -- but I'm thinking not as they appear to be on Youtube? Are you all paying subscribers??) Anyway, they did have a strategy. They said Clare can do heights because it takes no skill to "fall". LOL. So, if there's bungie jumping, I'd expect Claire to go. They are trying to save Derek for the final legs which are more physical typically. I really enjoy their insider views of the race.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, October 10, 2022 - 6:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
They said in some interview that they rented the car they used to train in, but in this episode of youtube that I just watched, they pointed out that American cars have an R for reverse and the cars they drove on the race had a more complex system to go into reverse.

They started in the second group, wasted time gettng directions and then found out they had directions, they meant to go to the education task and thought they were following another couple but went the wrong way, ended up doing cheese and thing that was best, and then the Ducati task.. they went to the Ducati museum and it turned out they were acrsoss the street from where they should be and we saw how that went. They had their first argument but it wasn't shown and trying to go into reverse wasn't show.

Their words for next leg I think were exasperating and tired..

I was lucky and learned in a boyfriend's 5 speed truck before I bought my 5 speed truck. Pamy maybe there is a driving school where he could get some lessons? I am sure he'd pick it up quickly. Once you get to shifting, then starting on a hill is a good exercise..

I have GPS but I never end up using it. And I really really believe in not looking things up while driving so I tend to look online at maps ahead of time and write down step by step directions on paper (I tried using a tablet but it turned out that my sunglasses and the screens just don't work that well together) and I can hold that . I drove patients a lot for 10 years and was often going places I'd never been.

The first time I drove with someone with GPS was actually when TVCH met up in Nashville and Spygirl had her brother's truck which was new and had GPS and we were in that truck and going to the hotel and the GPS kept telling us to keep going past the turnoff and even in the parking lot it was giving us weird instructions. So I wasn't too impressed. I have a feeling that I would need to download updates by now as this car is 8 years old. ''

I had TripTiks from autoclub when I did my 2 month driving trip around the US in 95 and those were really great.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, October 10, 2022 - 6:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I think all cars, even European made have a diagram on the top of the shifter showing you the gear pattern?

Some manufacturers have reverse up and to the left, some down and to the right. But this doesn't vary by country, it varies by manufacturer. And like I said, I've never seen one without a diagram on the top.

Sometimes there is a button to push, or you have to push the entire shifter down (toward the floor) to engage reverse however. That can be tricky.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, October 10, 2022 - 6:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I thought so too, but they showed the pattern without an R and there was something they had to push or whatever.. I think there was a flash of the diagram in the youtube.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, October 10, 2022 - 6:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
yes, they said you had to push it in. The gear shift just had numbers 1-6 -- no "R" on it. I would have never known that either!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, October 10, 2022 - 6:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
By the way, Derek and Claire had great things to say about Dom.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Monday, October 10, 2022 - 7:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
I mostly drove stick in Europe. Each manufacturer has a different configuration. But yeah, it would not have a R because that stands for English word "reverse".

Here in California there is a place in San Diego you can rent manual. Plus if you can find a Fiat many of them have manual. You're not allowed to rent them to learn how to teach somebody or learn. You would have to do that on the down low and if there was any damage you would have to pay for it. I think Turo has manual cars you can rent also. Most driving schools have stick shifts you can learn on. In fact there's one not too far away from me. Their ad actually says don't screw up your car, drive ours and learn on it instead lol

I remember my friend had a OLD manual Orange Gremlin. Handed down to her from her mom. Who I think got it from her grandmother? If we were at a stoplight on a hill she would ask me to get out of the car and run to the people in back of her to ask them to please back up to give her space to roll backwards. That's already embarrassing but to have to get out of an orange gremlin to ask those people that favor is even more embarrassing LOL

Sea have you ever tried Google Maps GPS? I have navigation in both cars and yet I still prefer the free Google Maps GPS.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, October 10, 2022 - 9:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
yes R for reverse, versus numbers for the forward gears. So they were expecting to see a letter to indicate reverse, not 6 numbers. I guess these are things to learn before you go on TAR!

LOL about the gremlin on a hill.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, October 10, 2022 - 10:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I found a promo for the lap that had the gear stick in it, the R was to the left of first gear.

stick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88e3V6ys3Dg (1min 20in)

Maybe they were confused if the last car they drove had R in the 6 position, which is also common, so were only looking on that side of the diagram. Mostly reverse gear has a collar to pull up to get it in gear, or a button on the thumb position you push while you put it into gear, or sometimes you push it down and in.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Monday, October 10, 2022 - 11:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
The issue with maps is they tend to be in the language of the country. If you are not hanging out at airports, you probably don't have time to map shop. With these charters they have different challenges. No street sleeping to be first. Money seems to not be a challenge, no begging or deciding to save by walking.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, October 10, 2022 - 11:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I have not tried that GPS.

When I had been driving my truck for awhile, I went to a concert in Long Beach and drove myself and right out of parking there is a hill with a traffic signal at the top and all the traffic from the concert was leaving and backed up. And I was a bit panicked but remembered my practice so I didn't roll back after we all were stopped on the hill. I was really happy to get off that hill, though.

The funny thing was how hard it was when I went to test drive a Camry that was automatic. You keep wanting to use the clutch and to shift! Very awkward. But I certainly adapted.

I found this which includes a description of reverse.. if driving a manual trans in Italy..

https://gailmencini.com/youre-renting-a-car-in-italy-now-what/

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Tuesday, October 11, 2022 - 12:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Yes, thankfully they don't beg for money anymore. That made me so uncomfortable. I remember there was one team that was crying...because they were ashamed to be asking villagers who barely had money to eat, to give them a coin for...I think they were performing or something in a square? If I remember right they decided to take the time penalty rather than continue.

Sea next time you go somewhere...where you already know where you are going...download Google maps app on your phone. Try it out. I also like it because it tells you if there is an accident and any detour you should take etc. I know you have had to drive people all over the place. You might find it useful.