TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 09, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Amazing Race: The Amazing Race - Canada I: General Discussions: Archive through August 09, 2013 users admin

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 7:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I think the basis of my problem is that I am working on a public library computer, and they have lots of things/areas/sites blocked. I am currently shopping for a new laptop, so I will hopefully be back in the modern world sometime soon -

Thanks to all who tried to help me - I always accept the intention as the gift - no matter the outcome!

Flagg

06-01-2005

Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 10:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Flagg a private message Print Post    
The only version of US Amazing Race that I recall never having left the US was the absolute worst one ever, the family Amazing Race. That season sucked and the main reason was because they never left the US.

Amazing Race Australia went all over the world in their first season, they even went to Cuba, which we would never see on the US version.

Gmggraham

05-10-2011

Friday, July 19, 2013 - 6:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gmggraham a private message Print Post    
Canada is rich in culture and customs. There are many nuances across Canada.

Canada is culturally and ethnically diverse. In fact, many believe that it is the most diverse and inclusive country on Earth.

Niagara Falls is well known and BC is famous for its spectacular mountains and beautiful coastal scenery as you saw on the first show, but there is so much more.

Did you know that:

* French is the mother tongue and primarily spoken in Quebec. Inuit is one of the official languages of Nunavut and the Northwest Territories. Language is subjective, Newfoundland "the rock" has its own English dictionary.

* Nova Scotia is the world's largest producer of lobsters, Christmas trees, and wild blueberries.

* The Confederation Bridge is the longest bridge over ice covered waters in the world.

* Two loyal and loved dog breeds came into their own in Newfoundland and Labrador.

* The prairie provinces have become one of the most important sectors of the economy because of the large reserves of petroleum, natural gas, and uranium.

*In the territory of Nunavut it is minus 1 today (30F), yet it is going to feel like 43 degrees in Toronto (no we’re not freezing, that’s about 109F)

I think that TAR Canada will be an eye-opener for many. The size of Canada does make a difference, I think. Canada has a geographic land area that is larger than America, but has one tenth of the population. There are vast areas that have not been tapped. Yet, there are a number of rich metropolitan areas that are ethnically diverse and inclusive. Can’t wait to see what’s next.

Flossiebebe

09-01-2005

Friday, July 19, 2013 - 4:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Flossiebebe a private message Print Post    
Well-said, CMG (where's that little happy face with the beer when you need it?)
I do hope that they manage to work in some language barrier problems in Nunavut!!

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Friday, July 19, 2013 - 8:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
And Quebec - not all Canadians are bilingual!

Gmg - what a rousing and interesting defense of the wonderful diversity available in Canada. I have barely dabbled in it - Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Vancouver, but I found it amazing and populated with great folks!

P.S. The fault with the Amazing Race American was NOT that it didn't leave the U.S., but that it is not an adventure designed for children - although goodness knows we have seen some childish players!

Gmggraham

05-10-2011

Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 5:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gmggraham a private message Print Post    
Thanks Flossiebebe and Tntitanfan. I haven't spent a lot of time watching TAR but have caught it from time to time.

As a Canadian, I'm really excited about this edition and I'm following it fully. I'm sure that it won't disappoint.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 6:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
nobody's talking about last night? well, i will.

not so sad to see the cowboys go, i'm afraid. i didn't think they had it in them, really, and they were just terrible last night. otoh, the doctors were just amazing, which drove me crazy. they were so on top of EVERYTHING, so i am just going to have to wait to see them falter.

i really like the hippies but, like many young couples, there is their overreacting to sleights. i do like their spirit, though. and the buff young guys jet and dave, who iirc are from London, ON.

Gmggraham

05-10-2011

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 7:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gmggraham a private message Print Post    
I like just about everyone so far. I'm old school, so I'm rooting for Hal and Joanne. I watched them in the participaction videos (television ads) for so many years. They really were early adopters of "let's get moving" with their show BodyBreak.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 8:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
They are all pretty watchable and likable. Hal and Joanne are doing very well and I've always liked them though they do seem a bit hyper and manic (LOL not that they weren't in all their fitness spots). The doctors are very smart and the hippies have a lot of energy.

Like Tishala, I wasn't terribly unhappy to see the cowboys leave. They enjoyed themselves and left graciously and it was pretty evident that they didn't have what it took to win.

I thought that I wouldn't enjoy it as much with the race totally in Canada as it would lose that feel that you get from seeing foreign countries but I am thoroughly enjoying it nevertheless. It's fun to see sights that you have seen before but from a different perspective and it gives us a chance to see some of the country that we haven't seen for ourselves.

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 9:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
Flagg, in the season of TAR where they stayed mainly the US, they came to Canada. They were in Montreal.I remember they made the teams get taxis at the airport. The drivers there usually speak English.

I am still on the fence for the Canadian version, the way it is presented it just seems like an hour long ad for people to visit Canada.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 10:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
But I don't know how it can be an ad to visit Canada when it's only shown on Canadian tv. I see it on those (quasi-) illegal sites that post video of tons of tv shows. If it weren't for that, I'd have no chance whatsoever to see it.

I can't wait to see Alberta next week. The only times I've seen it have been on tv and it looks just amazing.

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 - 3:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
I thought about that, it is an ad for Canadians to vacation in Canada in place of traveling else where.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 - 6:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Alberta is amazing. The mountains are beautiful and it's so rugged. Beautiful hotels and resorts as well.

Gmggraham

05-10-2011

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 - 7:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gmggraham a private message Print Post    
I have to admit, it does make me want to visit other places in Canada. Each week, I'll have to add to my bucket list.

Flossiebebe

09-01-2005

Friday, July 26, 2013 - 2:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Flossiebebe a private message Print Post    
Yea, don't miss the cowboys at all. Nice guys, but they were really not on the same level as the others. I'm liking Tim and Tim...or maybe it's just their names!! Finding the dr's annoying and Celina and Vanessa are growing on me.

Gmggraham

05-10-2011

Monday, July 29, 2013 - 7:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gmggraham a private message Print Post    
Good show tonight. Glad that Hal and Joanne are in first place. Vanessa and Celina impressed me this week. The doctors needed to get bumped down a notch.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Thursday, August 01, 2013 - 5:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
I totally remember seeing 'Body Break' on tv, I'm rooting for Hal and Joanne. Then the father son duo.

Gmggraham--I'm Not so keen on the docs either, I don't know they just rub me the wrong way. Also the twin women how they just passed the guys on the highway where it was a solid line to get in in 4th instead of 5th. Next week it looks like they get more brazen and budge in front of everyone in line at an airport.

The line dancing looked so hard, I would be there all day. I loved how the muscle guy just got it in one shot because he was an ex-cheerleader. LOL

Fun episode! Glad it wasn't an elimination round.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Thursday, August 01, 2013 - 7:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
I just learned about the US Badlands last year and have wanted to go ever since. Now that I've seen the Canadian Badlands, too, I want to visit both! How gorgeous was that?

I sorta can't believe the hippies gave the girls the express pass; looks like it might bite them in the butt. But I was glad to see the hippies near the top again. And, more importantly, the doctors near the bottom. I do wonder how hard that dinosaur model must have been if it even confused them, if only because the task seemed almost tailor made for them.

Gmggraham

05-10-2011

Friday, August 02, 2013 - 1:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gmggraham a private message Print Post    
The doctors needed a "wake up" call. It was pretty brutal that Holly had such a hard time with the line dance.

Iheartkaysar

08-16-2005

Monday, August 05, 2013 - 9:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Iheartkaysar a private message Print Post    
Great episode! Another team goes out with an express pass. I loved how the brothers came back from adversity. I love how Canadian this show is. When Tim cut in front of the other guy, the crowd booed, though politely!

I can't wait to see their time in Regina next week. Should be fun.

Gmggraham

05-10-2011

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 10:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gmggraham a private message Print Post    
Hal and Joanne are still doing pretty good. They are pretty Canadian too - in terms of politeness. They didn't give away their flight spot just because the other team made a mistake. They understand that this is a competition, but they still felt bad for the other team.

Iheartkaysar

08-16-2005

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 5:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Iheartkaysar a private message Print Post    
Gmggraham, I thought both teams handled that well. Fair enough for the brothers to ask for the spot. Fair enough for Hal and Joanne to say no. And neither team was rude or disrespectful. Very mature and competitive. Other teams could learn from that!

Gmggraham

05-10-2011

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 6:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gmggraham a private message Print Post    
Yes. I agree, Iheartkaysar. This thread seems so peaceful and nice. A welcome change from what's going on in Big Brother.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 7:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
All of these teams are nice and the entire race has been a lot of fun to watch. I'm amazed at how much I'm enjoying seeing different parts of Canada that I know and love as well as less familiar areas that are equally interesting and beautiful. And once again, the teams have been great.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Friday, August 09, 2013 - 8:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Finally caught up on this and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes it does make me want to see more of Canada. I've seen more of Europe than my own country. Really beautiful scenery and yes there have been some ads for the Canadian north that I have seen featuring the teams on TAR and Jon.

So far I am not fond of the doctors or the Tims. My final three would be Hal and Joanne, the brothers and Jet and Dave, they have had some of the funniest lines.

Btw I can't skate and I've never had poutine. But apparently I do say 'oot' and 'aboot'. As well as no or eh a lot. Lol

As well I think Flagg mentioned cheaper flights but I beg to differ, it is more expensive to fly from Ontario to BC than to England.

I think people will find that Canadians are just as country proud as Americans but in a quieter way. (And I'm not saying Americans are loud)