TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
General Discussion

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Amazing Race: The Amazing Race XXI: General Discussion users admin

TAR 21
The Amazing Race (on CBS)

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through October 05, 2012Lexie_girl25 10-05-12  5:02 pm
Archive through October 30, 2012Jag200025 10-30-12  6:34 pm
Archive through December 04, 2012Lexie_girl25 12-04-12  3:44 pm
Archive through December 26, 2012Dogdoc25 12-26-12  2:46 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 - 3:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, the story is that Josh and Brent were both well employed when they bought the Beekman farm to be a weekend retreat and took on the associated mortgage (and of course all the expenses of such a very old property).

2008 came. Farmer John lost HIS home and they took him and his herd in, in trade for the milk to make cheese and soap.

Also in 2008, BOTH Josh and Brent, along with many others, were laid off.

Josh did get another job for lower pay and Brent moved to the Beekman with the intent of making it produce income.

They have worked like crazy to create the lifestyle by being separated during the week. They have also worked hard to help employ local people in Sharon Springs, a few who work for them, the woman who processes the goat milk into cheese. And they are working to help promote local family owned farms.

And of course they learned that starting a business isn't easy.

They brought their talents.. ad agency, Brent having worked for Martha Stewart Omnimedia before he was laid off, so they know about presentation and promotion and networking with other locals.

But this win will allow I(or has allowed.. I hear Josh is already full time on the farm or will be by January 1) both of them to live on the farm. The plan is to pay off the mortage on the farm, buy a building in Sharon Springs (or the building they use now?) and then be able to both be full time on Beekman1802 and live together all week.

The big sacrifice was 5 years apart during the week, even with doing the two seasons of their show, Josh publishing his memoir and the more recent cookbook

Oh and during that time, Farmer John was able to quit his day job and stay on the farm full time as well.

I think all they ever said was that this would allow them to be back together full time.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Thursday, December 27, 2012 - 4:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
Goat's milk makes wonderful cheeses! Also, depending on the proximity of Mexican and/or soul food restaurants, there is a market for the meat. It has to be approached skillfully, but it can be delicious!

Yes, I got that the money would enable them to be together at the farm fulltime. It is not easy to make a living farming/dairying, AND starting a new business is a money drain for up to 5 years!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, December 27, 2012 - 9:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
TNT.. when my friends,several different ones, had kids in 4H who raised dairy goats, the baby males were mostly sold, preumably for food. In N Calif it would be families who might roast them in a back yard pit. In Santa Ana I remember looking down into a yard to the back of my condo and there was this sheep! I was kind of excited (and naive) but next time I looked the sheep was dead on the ground and I stopped watching as they proceeded.

I do note that this issue hasn't been touched on by anyone on their show, yet they did cover raising and slaughtering the pigs the first season and Josh and Brent do intend to grow or raise what they eat. Farmer John is obviously fond of "the girls" but you just don't keep a ton of male dairy goats around typically.

If they didn't use all the milk for cheese and soap and cooking, goat's milk is great for puppies as they are weaned, or if they are orphaned and I would think for kittens and other babies as well. I never had fresh goat's milk available when I had puppies but we used condensed goats' milk as the basis when they went off mom's milk. Much better than cow's milk for them.

Anyway, I'm happy for them, and don't see them frittering away their winnings or going the way of some reality stars and just becoming full time reality people, though I'm sure they will continue to support the charity work that touches them most.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, December 28, 2012 - 4:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
In addition to their work on the farm and their business, didn't Brent also take on a parttime job as the on-call doctor to a local spa? He is a medical doctor, after all, and that's how he originally came to Martha Stewart. He was a health advisor on her show, addressing medical issues.

Here is the web site for Beekman 1802 (their company) for anyone who's interested: http://beekman1802.com/

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 7:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
After we watched the mini-marathon of Beekman Boys last week, my Sis set the tivo to capture any further episodes. Last night we watched a new ep that popped up (not sure what season) that perhaps taped on Thurs. It was one where each had a showing/demo in NY, Brent had Milkshakes goat bath soap demo and Josh had food & book signing.

Since we never watched before, it's great to get to watch. Perhaps, after all the free publicity due to them winning the Amazing Race the channel decided to run them again. So folks you might want to check to see.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 2:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That was a repeat, but I've been watching all of them and recently found an episode I had missed.

They are rerunning on the cooking channel but originally ran on I think the green? channel..

I'd love them to get another season or more.

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 3:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
Yeah, me too!

Jasper

09-14-2000

Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 9:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
If there are any interested parties out there....

http://o.canada.com/2012/12/20/the-amazing-race-canada-how-to-apply/

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 10:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Happy New Years to Brent & Josh! From their web site:

New Year's Day marks the first official day that Josh will be a FULL-TIME SHARON SPRINGS RESIDENT! After five years of weekly commuting to NYC, we'll finally be together 24/7 again. (If that doesn't warrant a third season of Fabulous Beekman Boys, we don't know what does.)

I so want to try that Blaak cheese, but it's a little pricy for me.

http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=bc6545b1a5124191e0ed629b4&id=d65f0115d4&e=bc1602e0dc

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 8:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Me too!

Happymom

01-20-2003

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 12:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
I saw Phil on this show last night. He is so awesome!

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 1:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
Yes, he was good. Thought it was funny how the people did exactly what he told them to do.

I also enjoyed Jeff Gordon and Jane Seymour.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 4:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Yes, that was a good show. Jeff Gordon was very funny.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 9:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
Jeff Gordon was hysterical! He played an awesome idiot.

Sportsfan

09-03-2007

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 10:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sportsfan a private message Print Post    
I taped it-will have to watch it this weekend!

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 10:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I watched it last night and thought it was very funny...and watching Larry Hagman was bittersweet...he was such a charmer! I'm sure he went to the grave with that twinkle in his eyes.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 10:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
My husband and our niece have been working on their entry video for TAR Canada. I'll keep you posted if they progress!

We have had a lot of fun doing the video prep work.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 10:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Awesome Jasper! Good luck to them! ;)

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 6:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
Good luck Jasper & DH & DN!
Wouldn't it be FUN to have someone we 'know' to root for on the race!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 8:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Oh cool, Jasper!!! I wish them the best of luck.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, January 14, 2013 - 10:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I can't wait to see the finshed product, they went a humorous route. they are incredibly funny together in their natural habitat. She's 25, he's 50, lol they both act 5.

Longbeachbbfan

08-17-2005

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 1:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Longbeachbbfan a private message Print Post    
Jan 23 2013 09:00 AM ET

'The Amazing Race': New cast (including relatives of John Wayne and Daniel Boone) and twist revealed!

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/01/23/amazing-race-22-new-cast/

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, August 02, 2013 - 9:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Here's an article about Josh and Brent's wedding. The whole thing will be available on Amazon video on Sept. 16th. I wish they'd done a TV special. I miss their show!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/01/beekman-boys-marriage-license_n_3691463.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

Jbw

08-14-2006

Saturday, November 09, 2013 - 8:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jbw a private message Print Post    
Congratulations to the new Mr. & Mrs. Gordon Beckham as TAR 21's Brittany Fletcher married the Chicago White Sox second baseman today!

https://twitter.com/BrittanyFletch

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Insert AR Names

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: